10 Years Ago Today!

morgulon1

Reaction score
It was glorious. I worked in an office in the Bay Area full of 9er fans during the height of that rivalry.

Sure there was some jealousy but most of them had nothing but good things to say after that game. They just had to respect the sheer dominance they witnessed that day.
I think the Niners will win one this time .

**** em

Parallax

Reaction score
I know John is still here and Pete isn't, but as a fan base, I hope we're not going to get to a point where John gets all the credit for our managerial successes while Pete gets imputed for all the failures.
You ratted me out, so I guess there's something in a name. I do tend to think the bad decisions have Pete's fingerprints on 'em and the good ones don't. But I've long said we really don't know what was John and what was Pete. Now we'll find out.

This hire is a really good indication that my instincts may have been right. MacDonald seems in a lot of ways the anti-Pete. Super close attention to details, disciplined and methodical, not a rah rah type personality, in fact the guy admits to sometimes falling into a monotone demeanor. Baltimore values its draft picks and doesn't make wild trades. Extreme flexibility, with a willingness to structure his strategies around the strengths of his team. A great teacher who focuses on explaining things in a way that players understand. But also a coach willing to hold guys accountable by bringing a degree of tough love when helpful or necessary.

Pete is a guy with a huge presence and personality, a ton of charisma but not a detailed or strategic thinking. Someone who can be agonizingly stubborn, committed to a singular vision, committed to pushing round pegs into square holes. More of a "this is our way of doing things" kind of guy than someone who flexes, someone willing to overpay to keep the guys he wants, willing to swing from the heels in trades for others he wants. Not able to hold players accountable. "A player's coach" in the sense that they enjoy playing for him because they run the show, so a guy very much in need of a core group of disciplined players in the locker who can hold other guys accountable on his behalf.

Parallax

Reaction score
I think the Niners will win one this time .

**** em
My son's a software engineer with Google so he lives in Silicon Valley and roots for the 49ers. So I can live with it. Besides, KC won last year and two of the last four. Three of the last five and two in a row might turn me green.

Optimus25

Reaction score
"Anything you do, theyll do... better!"

A. The second i saw this i knew we were going to kick their ass.
B. Seattle missed a huge opportunity because at this juncture they should have retired bittersweet symphony and taken the field to Sad but True starting in ‘14.

bigcc

Reaction score
My son's a software engineer with Google so he lives in Silicon Valley and roots for the 49ers. So I can live with it. Besides, KC won last year and two of the last four. Three of the last five and two in a row might turn me green.
Lol so your son is a bandwagoner, Time to slide everything in the will to your other children.

You root for the team you grew up with not circumstantial changes.

I forget her username but that chick you were talking to is a hawks fan in kc, she figured it out.

I'd be annoyed with any team, but the 9ers? Yuck

I agree about the chiefs though, really tired of them this time of year, thanks lamar

chris98251

Reaction score
Well seeing Peyton and the Broncos humiliated, dejected, pissed off, and then simply dumbfounded. all before Half time was something to behold after the build up they all got. Harvins run back and the look on that Bronco sideline was priceless, they were done with 29 minutes and change left to play.

NoGain

Reaction score
The Donkeys had zero chance. NFC championship was the Super bowl that year. 49ers would have curb stomped them as well. And we beat them both.
Yup. I really mean this when I say that I had little or no fear of the Broncos in the SB that year, in spite of their inflated offensive stats as a team. It was odd to me that I didn't. The 9er game was clearly the game that had me on edge all week long till kickoff time. I felt it was going to be a slugfest of a rivalry game, and that the winner of that game was going to be the champ.

Parallax

Reaction score
Well seeing Peyton and the Broncos humiliated, dejected, pissed off, and then simply dumbfounded. all before Half time was something to behold after the build up they all got. Harvins run back and the look on that Bronco sideline was priceless, they were done with 29 minutes and change left to play.
Wish I'd had a mirror to see my reaction when Harvin finally gave us something of value.

Parallax

Reaction score
Yup. I really mean this when I say that I had little or no fear of the Broncos in the SB that year, in spite of their inflated offensive stats as a team. It was odd to me that I didn't. The 9er game was clearly the game that had me on edge all week long till kickoff time. I felt it was going to be a slugfest of a rivalry game, and that the winner of that game was going to be the champ.
I'm always afraid to look past an opponent. That's the way teams get upset. Glad the Hawks came out firing on all cylinders and never stopped.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I know John is still here and Pete isn't, but as a fan base, I hope we're not going to get to a point where John gets all the credit for our managerial successes while Pete gets imputed for all the failures.
on the flipside if we get to that point it means Mcdonald will have been wildly successful to the point of getting us the OWL.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Greatest team intro ever.
My only quibble with it is that they got Kurt Russel to do the voice for the Broncos introduction as well. They should have gotten some other voice to do the Broncos introduction. It would have given the intros more of an us-against-them feel.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
So very grateful for 10 years ago. Still feels like yesterday. Incredible how lasting a single championship can be.

JustTheTip

Reaction score
My only quibble with it is that they got Kurt Russel to do the voice for the Broncos introduction as well. They should have gotten some other voice to do the Broncos introduction. It would have given the intros more of an us-against-them feel.
That was a double edged sword, because even with Kurt voicing theirs it sounded lame compared to ours which kind of made the whole thing that much better.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
That was a double edged sword, because even with Kurt voicing theirs it sounded lame compared to ours which kind of made the whole thing that much better.
Still, if they'd have gotten Bruce Willis or someone else to do the other intro, it wouldn't have sounded like the same guy trying to sell both teams. Just a missed opportunity IMO.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
What a great time it was! And the parade in Seattle afterwards---epic!

I'm actually wearing my long-sleeve version of SBXLVIII champs to work today!! Of course, I wear it at least twice a month.

Last edited: