chris98251

Reaction score
Brady, Manning, Montana and Elway were all at their best with a running game, not necessarily at the top of the stat charts those years although they were good. Wilson is doing his best work the same way, with Lynch and now showing it again with Carson. Have a good defense to compliment that kind of offense and you have a chance.

As great as Rodgers appears stat wise and as gutsy as he plays how often are they in the NFC Championship Game and in the Super Bowl ? It's why the Patriots always have something for a running game.

Based on some peoples logic and perception about it being a passing league, pure passing teams may get to the playoffs but rarely survive to the end.

Cartire

Reaction score
"On every scoring drive for Seattle, Wilson had to complete a third and long to keep the drive alive."

I wont lie, I dont know if this is 100% true. I saw someone else say it. But I did see Russ complete some great 3rd downs today.

justafan

Reaction score
I wasnt one of the dump RW crew but I didnt think he would play this well without running like he did in the past. The guy is one of a kind and I am glad we have him.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
chris98251":3960y1hb said:
Brady, Manning, Montana and Elway were all at their best with a running game, not necessarily at the top of the stat charts those years although they were good. Wilson is doing his best work the same way, with Lynch and now showing it again with Carson. Have a good defense to compliment that kind of offense and you have a chance.

As great as Rodgers appears stat wise and as gutsy as he plays how often are they in the NFC Championship Game and in the Super Bowl ? It's why the Patriots always have something for a running game.

Based on some peoples logic and perception about it being a passing league, pure passing teams may get to the playoffs but rarely survive to the end.

All true. Well said.

hawk45

Reaction score
When russ has to make every single play he struggles.

With a run game he just needs to make timely plays, including in the clutch, and he's as good as any QB in the NFL in that scenario. Will not turn the ball over, can push it deep with accuracy.

Perfect match for what Pete wants to do.

He can't carry a team like a Brady or Rodgers but a Brady or Rodgers team with a cable OL and run game isn't winning it all anyways so who cares.

We can find a game manager but those are not clutch and can't kill teams deep with regularity.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
Matt Patricia thought Russ controlled the game today -- it strikes me how similar "controlled" and "managed" are in definition, yet conjure very different images.

[urltargetblank]https://www.freep.com/videos/sports/nfl/lions/2018/10/28/matt-patricia-russell-wilson-controlled-game/1801563002/[/urltargetblank]

sc85sis

Reaction score
Russell’s career stats averages are pretty close to that guy who plays for NE.

Comp %: TB 64.0 / RW 64.2
Avg. Yards per Comp: TB 7.5 / RW 7.9
TD %: TB 5.6 / RW 5.9
Int. %: TB 1.8 / RW 2.0
QB Rate: TB 97.6 / RW 99.6

Brady has 34.8 attempts per game compared to Russell’s 29.3. He’s also played at that level for a ridiculous number of years, which is crazy impressive.

I’m not saying Russell is going to have Brady’s career, but can we at least acknowledge that Russell is actually a really, really good QB?

Vesuve

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":2suke5oj said:
That is statistically a perfect game for a QB. I’m sorry for the haters but game managers don’t enter the 7th game of the season with a 104.8 QB rating and then put up a perfect rating. Game managers are lucky if they have a QB rating around 80-85. Game managers don’t hover around 100 QB rating after 6 1/2 years in the league.

Yes.

I was and am surprised that some would consider RW less than "very good" and yes, "great" as a QB in the NFL.

Some turned on him quickly.

He has the "it."

Period.

toffee

Reaction score
sc85sis":1cypxqof said:
Russell’s career stats averages are pretty close to that guy who plays for NE.

Comp %: TB 64.0 / RW 64.2
Avg. Yards per Comp: TB 7.5 / RW 7.9
TD %: TB 5.6 / RW 5.9
Int. %: TB 1.8 / RW 2.0
QB Rate: TB 97.6 / RW 99.6

Brady has 34.8 attempts per game compared to Russell’s 29.3. He’s also played at that level for a ridiculous number of years, which is crazy impressive.

I’m not saying Russell is going to have Brady’s career, but can we at least acknowledge that Russell is actually a really, really good QB?

Begging your pardon, but I am so comparing Russ to Brady. Both will one day sit in HOF.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
hawk45":1o1kyqm7 said:
When russ has to make every single play he struggles.

With a run game he just needs to make timely plays, including in the clutch, and he's as good as any QB in the NFL in that scenario. Will not turn the ball over, can push it deep with accuracy.

Perfect match for what Pete wants to do.

He can't carry a team like a Brady or Rodgers but a Brady or Rodgers team with a cable OL and run game isn't winning it all anyways so who cares.

We can find a game manager but those are not clutch and can't kill teams deep with regularity.

:roll:

Blair Walsh disagrees with you

toffee

Reaction score
MarylandHawk":1f2a3006 said:
Matt Patricia thought Russ controlled the game today -- it strikes me how similar "controlled" and "managed" are in definition, yet conjure very different images.

[urltargetblank]https://www.freep.com/videos/sports/nfl/lions/2018/10/28/matt-patricia-russell-wilson-controlled-game/1801563002/[/urltargetblank]

Got to wonder if deep, very deep, very very deep down, Patricia dream of having Russ.

Seymour

Reaction score
I don't have a problem paying Russell $32M especially if he plays closer to that! The question I have is more can Pete get $32M worth from Wilson because of how Pete limits the offense? That said, if the oline can play like it has, Pete's plan has a far better shot of working over the last 3+ years at least. I was also equally impressed with how well the defense held out today as well. :2thumbs: :snack:

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":2rbdvf98 said:
I don't have a problem paying Russell $32M especially if he plays closer to that! The question I have is more can Pete get $32M worth from Wilson because of how Pete limits the offense? That said, if the oline can play like it has, Pete's plan has a far better shot of working over the last 3+ years at least. I was also equally impressed with how well the defense held out today as well. :2thumbs: :snack:

I don't miss Bennett, Sherman, heck even our Earl. These guys are getting rather quiet now that we are winning and our defense is playing at a high level.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":4viujgtl said:
Russ is not worth 30 million dollars, I'm sorry. Especially not in this style of offense. There are other QB's that could run this style. Sure, they wouldn't post the same numbers, but they could get the job done.

Holy shit, this is a truly stupid statement. We've already had these 'other QBs who could run this style'. Clipboard Jesus, Turdvarius Jackson, every backup to RW who is or isn't still with the team, Matt Flynn (oh, and Flynn was making off-the-charts more money than RW, at least at the time). WTF else does anybody need to say to you to wake you the hell up? Plus, as others have pointed out, he's not making anywhere near $30 million... :roll: :roll: :roll: :34853_doh: :34853_doh: :34853_doh:

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Seymour":fupn77qy said:

Russell Wilson has been at his best when he plays within a balanced offensive attack. Sure, he can sling the ball 34 times a game like he did the last couple years or at NC State, but that’s not when he is at his most efficient. He won nine games last year and led the NFL in TDs and total yards without a running game and with an injury-laden defense. But Russell has done his most winning when he plays within a balanced offensive attack with a strong running game.

The biggest problem with Bevell was his inability to consistently execute Carroll’s vision of a balanced offfnsive scheme. The longer Bevell was here, the more willing he was to abandon the run and the more finesse the offense became.

Schottenheimer is demonstrating the capacity to execute this vision because he possesses a unique understanding of the running game. He understands how to put blockers in the best position to succeed; he’s using extra lineman to accomplish what Bevell would try to do with poor blockers, like Jimmy Graham. In the last five games, the Seahawks are averaging 26.4 points (which would match the best point total ever in the inconsistent Bevell Era). In the last three games, they are averaging 29.3 points (which would surpass the best scoring average in franchise history, which was 28.3).

erik2690

Reaction score
I feel like way to many here are mistaking fewer attempts for easier throws or something. It's been a week or so but last I checked Russ was completing more tight window throws than most QB's. He had 1 incompletion today that you could really say was all on him. That could have very easily been a 16/17 with at least 4 TD's. I get the sense that some posters see that 17 attempts and for some reason relate that to being able to just throw anyone in there to get that result.

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
Anybody know RW's QB rating on play action for the season?

I'm sure it's still leading the league, since he's done nothing the last few weeks for it to drop, but just curious.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":ynl6sm34 said:
Russ is not worth 30 million dollars, I'm sorry. Especially not in this style of offense. There are other QB's that could run this style. Sure, they wouldn't post the same numbers, but they could get the job done.
Russell Wilson is worth every damned penny that the Seahawks are willing to dole out to him.
IF EVER the Run game stalls ( Like It's Done a Bunch Of Times In The Last Few Years), Wilson has come through with a few WINS for the Seahawks...if YOU WANT ONE OF THE BEST, YOU PAY.........Besides, the goddam money ain't comin' out of your pocket Spin. :177692:

Latest posts