1984 Seahawk Secondary

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I remember reading a newspaper article in 1984, I believe it was in one of the Chicago newspapers, talking about NFL terminology among other things. It was a humorous, well written article (or at least I thought so at the time).

Regarding field position, the writer explained that good field position means possessing the ball relative to your opponent's goal line. The closer you are to the goal line, the better the field position. However, there are some exceptions. Against the Chicago Bears defense, you might rather have the ball on your own 2 yard line than the Bears' 2 yard line, because of their reputation for beating the everliving snot of teams who dare get that close. Just having the ball anywhere on the field means poor field position when you're playing the Seattle Seahawks.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
😭😭 1984 was the year we moved to Michigan. I missed that whole era of Seahawk football. I still followed the team but my only chances to watch the team was if they were being aired locally here. In other words, against Detroit or a Nighttime game.

olyfan63

Reaction score
That 45-0 thumping of KC was an all-time highlight! I can still hear Pete Gross's call on all those INT return TDs. Pete Gross, another legend gone too soo.

rjdriver

Reaction score
If that 83/84 team had won a super bowl, there would be multiple HOFers. Brown would probably be one of them. Championships matter for the hall of fame.
"Youngsters" who parrot the South Alaska maxim nowadays make me chuckle. Yeah, we aren't NY, PIT, or DAL, but they have no idea the level of irrelevance and disrespect the Seahawks garnered in a pre internet world.

I think if those players had simply played for other franchises, irrespective of championships, they would be mentioned as all time elite caliber players.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
I only got to see nationally televised Seahawks games most of the time because I grew up in Maine. In '84 and '86, my dad took me down to Foxborough to see the Seahawks, so I got to see those amazing '84 and '86 secondaries (as detailed by @Mick063 on the first page of this thread) and that awesome '84 defense (as detailed by @Seahawker on the first page of this thread) live in a stadium.

In the '84 game, Easley had a "pick-six."

bsuhawk

Reaction score
If that 83/84 team had won a super bowl, there would be multiple HOFers. Brown would probably be one of them. Championships matter for the hall of fame.
I honestly think that team would have made it to the Super Bowl had Curt Warner not blown out a knee in the first game (against the Browns). The Hawks never were able to generate a running game that year and had to rely on Dave Krieg for their offense. Krieg threw for 32 TDs but also had 24 interceptions and completed only 57% of his passes. With Curt Warner running the ball and that defense, I think Seattle could have made it to their first Super Bowl.

BASF

Reaction score
I honestly think that team would have made it to the Super Bowl had Curt Warner not blown out a knee in the first game (against the Browns). The Hawks never were able to generate a running game that year and had to rely on Dave Krieg for their offense. Krieg threw for 32 TDs but also had 24 interceptions and completed only 57% of his passes. With Curt Warner running the ball and that defense, I think Seattle could have made it to their first Super Bowl.
This is the exact reason I cried when he blew out his knee (I was nine). That team was easily the best team in the league that season if Warner does not get injured. The Dolphins were a great team, but if we had been able to run the ball and keep Marino and company from controlling time of possession, we win that game and would have taken the Steelers. Beating the Niners would have been a tall order, but the Dolphins didn't even try to run the ball against them to keep Montana and company from controlling time of possession, which is not really like Shula. Which I still don't understand all these years later.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
13 seasons-62 interceptions!
10 seasons with Hawks-50 interceptions which is still a team record.
John you still unsure?
With all due respect I think it couldn't be any more clear that DB belongs
in Canton.
Yeah, My #1 favorite was Kenny Easley and Dave Brown was a CLOSE 2nd.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Yeah, My #1 favorite was Kenny Easley and Dave Brown was a CLOSE 2nd.
Loved Easley but my point was how can Dave Brown with those numbers
not be in the HOF?
I guess he should have been loud and show cased himself?
RIP Dave Brown!

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Call them the Pre LOB? This team has been blessed with some good secondary play over the years. Also had some crap sprinkled in a few too many times. I guess we need the fertilizer to seed the next great group.

That ‘84 group was special. On par, really with the LOB. The two are similar, but I think the LOB took their play to a little higher level. Not even considering the XLVIII win.

Sometime this season, this secondary hopefully gels and exhibits some of it’s predecessors abilities.