1st Round - 27th pick Jordyn Brooks LB Texas Tech

bigskydoc

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2a3jyuvk said:
They could see him at SAM role vacated by Kendricks. Kendricks isn't signed yet and Barton wasn't up to speed as his replacement. Brooks is faster than Barton so he may be the replacement there. Usually it's the SAM that also rushes the qb (Kendricks did that quite a bit). Maybe they feel Brooks is versatile enough to do that too.

The SAM, as I understand it, has two primary roles; shed the tight end block to attack the RB when he has the ball, and cover space for passes to the TE and RB. Right or wrong, there seems to be some concern about Brooks' ability to cover space and shed blocks.

The Will tends to be your fastest LB who does more freestyling, and chases down the play from behind.

Because of the nature of Wags, at Mike, and Wright, at Will, the Hawks do things a little differently. Wright tends to be the more disciplined, stay at home, player of the 2.

As Wags ages, and slows down, he could benefit from a faster Will.

Of course, somebody with a better understanding of the position is welcome to come tell me where I have it all mixed up.

jeremiah

Reaction score
hieroglyphics":39qbqec6 said:
jeremiah":39qbqec6 said:
Northwest Seahawk":39qbqec6 said:
TheLegendOfBoom":39qbqec6 said:
Patrick Queen is more athletic than Brooks.

Did y’all see Queen play? He drops back into coverage and LSU makes linebackers!

Smh at Pete Carroll and Schneider.

Reach.

Brooks was a second/third round player.

Queen is 6ft 229 Brooks is 6ft 240 . Queen played at LSU he had better talent around him making him look good he was a one year starter . Queen has shorter arms when you really break it down Brooks checks more boxes.

Brooks cannot drop and cover...he is a limited player. I hope they didn't sheet the bed, but I think they did.

Yeah but look at how many fast speedy running QBs there are now in the NFL. You need fast linebackers who can tackel well to combat Jackson, Watson, Murray, Mahomes, etc. The trend is actually not in pass coverage, it's in being able to match speed with speed.

You are correct, but that would require a retooling of the style of D by Pete. People under rate what they have now on the team. If they really want to run a novel defense with the young LB's it will be fun. The league hasn't really had a reason to shake up the normal like it does today, but Seattle is not likely to go away from what they run.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/1254194353687482378[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/1254194429688242177[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/1254195317991510016[/tweet]

bbsplitter

Reaction score
This guy has been comped to Bobby - if we think of it that way and he ends up being as good as Bobby, it will be nice to have the 5th year option on him instead of moving back for what sounds like negligible draft capital.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
At first I was like who? But after stepping back and watching highlights, hearing that the Ravens had him higher on their board than Queen, I felt better. Plus, Cincy was going to take him at 33. All that was confirmed over the weekend. People hated the Clark and Irvin draft picks, they turned out solid. I say give the kid a chance, and the Bobby comparisons are nice. I have a better feeling about him than some of the other 1st round head scratchers over the year. And they made up for it in the 2nd, getting a 1st round talent.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
Love this pick even more. Baldy's breakdown from April 9th on the kids is spot on. Go find his breakdown on Wagner then watch the one on Brooks. Brooks is going to set the edge and eliminate those end arounds and jet sweeps. Watch him take on the guards and tackles and keeps his out side shoulder and arm clean.

Shout out to Sea Mode pointing me to this tweet.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/i/status/1248429752597110791[/tweet]

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":1qphccxs said:
Patrick Queen is more athletic than Brooks.

Did y’all see Queen play? He drops back into coverage and LSU makes linebackers!

Smh at Pete Carroll and Schneider.

Reach.

Brooks was a second/third round player.

The more appropriate question is .... had you seen Brooks play prior to this post?

I'll take No for the answer. :greetingsearthling:

Boiler

Reaction score
The whole Brooks/Queen debate definitely reminds me of the Wagner/Kendricks debate from 2012. Maybe history will repeat and we'll end up getting Queen for cheap as a free agent in a few years anyway? In any event, I don't think it can be disputed now that Wagner had the better career even though Kendricks has been a solid player.

https://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/4/29/29 ... ss-of-2012

Rd 2 Pick 15 (47 overall): Bobby Wagner, OLB, Utah State
The Seahawks traded back again in the second picking up more draft choices and I think it cost them their first choice here, Mychal Kendricks out of Cal. That's just speculation on my part though and even so they got a guy who is very similar.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
chet380":2ff1m0j7 said:
Weaknesses --
*Failed to rise to the occasion against Oklahoma
*Gassed in late second quarter by Sooners' pace
*Loses his run fit at times when working around blocks
*Needs to attack blocks aggressively to constrict run lanes
*Finds himself blocked at times despite good reads
*Needs to school up hands as pre-emptive weapons
*Gets lost in space in zone drops
*Lacks fluidity when asked to cover

A first round pick? ... WTF!!

All this negative stuff for a player the draft 'experts said was rising like a rocket pre-draft. Says who on those negtives, I ask? Some guy selling draft guides with a website that's who. I see a consumate ruthless competitor with real physical ability, but I am just a fan and not an NFL coach or GM.

We all need to take the positives and the above negatives with reservation and consideration that they are just this one person's views. Pn'J have a view of the team they are building that the draft 'experts' don't have. Sometimes when abilities are close you choose superior character. This is lesson hard learned with the McDowell failed pick.

I suspect we are all going to love this guy's fight and desire, his abilities can be seen on tape. He's going to add toughness, strength and that winner's toughness to the team. The team need more Dawgs like this guy.

ivotuk

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1253745691219787776[/tweet]

Baltimore and Cincinnati.

ivotuk

Reaction score
PFF Superlatives - Linebackers

Best Run Defender: Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech

Brooks takes on blocks with a recklessness you can’t coach. The physical aspect of the game comes easily to the Texas Tech linebacker. He also has good length for a 6-foot linebacker with 32 ⅞-inch arms that make taking on blocks easier.

Brooks finished 2019 with a ridiculous 91.5 run-defense grade.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl ... inebackers

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
ivotuk":38y0c57g said:
PFF Superlatives - Linebackers

Best Run Defender: Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech

Brooks takes on blocks with a recklessness you can’t coach. The physical aspect of the game comes easily to the Texas Tech linebacker. He also has good length for a 6-foot linebacker with 32 ⅞-inch arms that make taking on blocks easier.

Brooks finished 2019 with a ridiculous 91.5 run-defense grade.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-nfl ... inebackers

Same article:

BEST TACKLER: JORDYN BROOKS, TEXAS TECH
Honorable Mention: David Woodward, Utah State & Isaiah Simmons, Clemson
Another one for Brooks. The Texas Tech linebacker has missed only 7% of his tackle attempts over the past two seasons. That’s the lowest rate of any off-ball linebacker in college football with at least 150 solo tackles over that span. His combination of form and power is unmatched.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I've been a huge fan of Pete and John. I'm not convinced you can get better than those two. So we got that going for us. As for Brooks, he was an outstanding player on a bad team. Question is, was he outstanding BECAUSE he was on a bad team?
Last season produced a matchup between Tech and Kansas with both teams at 3-5. Kansas hadn't won more than 3 game in a SEASON for like 10 yrs! The final score was 37-34 Kansas.
Here's the point...horses that are dominant at Claim 16 rarely jump up to compete at Stakes level with any success. Maximum Security did it, and did it well, only to be taken down for each of his big wins due to the revelation his management/trainer was doping him. We'll never know if the horse could have done what he did without being doped. But we do know we have a good management team and we do know that Brooks played strong at the level of his team. Now we just sit back and see if he translates like we hope he does.

BASF

Reaction score
Appyhawk":3n36396c said:
I've been a huge fan of Pete and John. I'm not convinced you can get better than those two. So we got that going for us. As for Brooks, he was an outstanding player on a bad team. Question is, was he outstanding BECAUSE he was on a bad team?
Last season produced a matchup between Tech and Kansas with both teams at 3-5. Kansas hadn't won more than 3 game in a SEASON for like 10 yrs! The final score was 37-34 Kansas.
Here's the point...horses that are dominant at Claim 16 rarely jump up to compete at Stakes level with any success. Maximum Security did it, and did it well, only to be taken down for each of his big wins due to the revelation his management/trainer was doping him. We'll never know if the horse could have done what he did without being doped. But we do know we have a good management team and we do know that Brooks played strong at the level of his team. Now we just sit back and see if he translates like we hope he does.

I get what you are saying, but in team sports it could be looked at as if Brooks had the LSU line in front of him, since a lot of people are comparing him to Queen, how much better would Brooks have played? Both of them are very good players and it will be interesting to see how each of them develop. In the end I see a guy who fits our scheme better than Queen.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I don’t get the debate here. When drafting a linebacker you should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take the consensus highest rated linebacker with the best moral character regardless of team fit and needs. You can never go wrong!

Warm Regards,
Tim Ruskell

BASF

Reaction score

sutz

Reaction score
rjdriver":3i16idiy said:
I don’t get the debate here. When drafting a linebacker you should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take the consensus highest rated linebacker with the best moral character regardless of team fit and needs. You can never go wrong!

Warm Regards,
Tim Ruskell
Not to defend him too strongly, but didn't he draft Lofa Tatupu?

:twisted:

Latest posts