1st Round - 27th pick Jordyn Brooks LB Texas Tech

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
I agree with whoever said they don't get the debate. It's too late for that. I didn't care for the priority ranking applied to our picks, but I wan't the one making them. All I know for sure is he's ours. I want the best out of him for him and for us.

And I hope it hails on the Niner parade.

rjdriver

Reaction score
sutz":2ibrw0cd said:
rjdriver":2ibrw0cd said:
I don’t get the debate here. When drafting a linebacker you should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take the consensus highest rated linebacker with the best moral character regardless of team fit and needs. You can never go wrong!

Warm Regards,
Tim Ruskell
Not to defend him too strongly, but didn't he draft Lofa Tatupu?

:twisted:

Just having fun. You do reinforce a point of this thread though. Timmy was criticized for trading up to draft who was too small and slow to warrant the 45th pick. He definitely wasn’t the “best available” according to the talking heads of the time. I wanted J. Taylor out of Wisconsin, but I am hoping Brooks exceeds everyone’s expectations, I think he will contribute often and early. Like Rob, not really a fan of Barton and I watched him locally here in Utah at the college level.

Plus...I probably shouldn’t rib Timmy too much for Curry....I was pissed we didn’t take Sanchez LOL.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He was going to go at 28 to the Ravens or at 33 to the Bengals. Nothing strange about it at all. Just the drama that people create. This is nothing new, they'll almost always pick someone we don't expect in the 1st round. Meh, he's gonna' ball out as a Hawk.

DJrmb

Reaction score
“We reach out on our own and make calls on a weekly basis to try and get their feedback, but getting calls unsolicited from teams like we’re getting with Jordyn is when you know a guy is really hot in the league,” Nagy said.

Just last week, ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. ranked Brooks as the No. 1 inside linebacker in the class of 2020, ahead of mainstays like Oklahoma’s Kenneth Murray and Miami’s Shaq Quarterman. Experts are confident that Brooks can play either middle or weakside in either a 3-4 or 4-3 scheme with his athleticism and coverage ability.
https://www.texasfootball.com/artic...to-a-top-nfl-draft-prospect?ref=related_title

gmor

Reaction score
I was surprised at the Brooks selection, but not the position. I thought Baun was a strong option. After looking Brooks up, he looks solid. He has a fierce style. Liking it more as time goes by.

AAK

Reaction score
He looks solid. Love the 2018 coverage video.

Brooks looks like a man possessed!!!

Rat

Reaction score
It encourages me to hear that the Ravens had Brooks higher on their board. They're the league's best drafting team for at least the past decade. Their opinion carries considerable weight.

But damn, I don't know how anyone could have watched last year's CFP and not seen a ridiculously good player in Queen. He looked like a star to me. Apparently the Ravens saw it, and I think I read somewhere in my first paragraph that they're the leagues best drafting team for at least the past decade.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Every day that passes, I get more hyped about this pick. Jordyn Brooks has "it." He can play inside or outside. He can rush, he can tackle, he can get into the backfield, he can spy, he can contain, he can cover, he can run, he can diagnose, he is versatile...

Kid is a baller. I love the rest of the class, but Brooks has me a special kind of hype that I haven't felt in the past few drafts.

AgentDib

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/BradyHenderson/status/1255609208042487809[/tweet]

ivotuk

Reaction score
After Seattle picked Jordyn Boorks, Mel Kiper said "I expected Jordyn Brooks to be gone no later than the middle of the 2nd round."

AND you cannot argue with the following...

the implication from Schneider was that the Seahawks -- who at the time weren't picking again until No. 59 -- believed their best shot at getting Brooks was to take him at 27. From the sounds of it, that might have been their only shot.

One NFL source told ESPN that he heard after the fact from at least five teams that said Brooks -- not Oklahoma's Kenneth Murray or LSU's Patrick Queen -- was their top-rated linebacker.

The same source said multiple teams believe the Ravens, who took Queen at No. 28 with Murray off the board, would have taken Brooks had Seattle not chosen him one pick before.

At least one team said it wanted to trade up into the bottom of the first round for Brooks, according to the source.

So while Seattle's pick was surprising to observers, it wasn't to the rest of the NFL.

Teams do their best to keep their targets close to the vest, and as one NFL talent evaluator noted, it's especially important when you're picking later in the first round because it's less prohibitive for another team to jump ahead of you for a player it believes you want.

That might have meant less chatter on Brooks for mock drafters to pick up on (though ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. wrote afterward that he wanted to squeeze Brooks into his final first-round projection).

"When people aren't talking about players, that's when you get pretty nervous," Schneider said. "And Jordyn was clearly one of those players."

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seaha ... s-surprise

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is from a post I made in the Draft Forum

2020 NFL draft: Pros and cons for every first-round pick

28. Baltimore Ravens

Patrick Queen, ILB, LSU | Highlights

Why they picked him: Middle linebacker was the Ravens' most glaring need after Baltimore tried to fill the void of losing four-time Pro Bowl defender C.J. Mosley with a rotation inside last season. Queen doesn't look or play like Mosley, but he fits as the centerpiece of a defense that prides itself on position flexibility. Ravens general manager Eric DeCosta said before the draft that the inside linebacker position has changed because the NFL has morphed into more of a speed league, in which defenders have to run, cover and blitz. No one epitomizes this modern-day definition of a middle linebacker more than Queen, the defensive most valuable player in the national championship game.

Biggest question: Is Queen too undersized to play middle linebacker? Queen weighed in at 229 pounds at the combine, which is considerably smaller than the players who had previously manned the middle of the Ravens' defense (Ray Lewis played at 240 pounds and Mosley is 250 pounds). For a defense that was bullied by Derrick Henry in an upset playoff loss, adding a safety-sized middle linebacker doesn't seem like the perfect answer. Queen's response: "I have the heart to be able to stop the run." -- Jamison Hensley

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2020/stor ... round-pick

ivotuk

Reaction score
And this from Bob Condotta:

Of course, that means Seattle could have then taken the linebacker that Baltimore did — LSU’s Patrick Queen — had he lasted to 30.

We may never know for sure if Seattle would have just taken Queen there.

But that both the Ravens and Seahawks — two teams who have a deserved reputation for identifying defensive talent — each had their eyes on Brooks and that the Ravens then ended up with Queen will make it that much more interesting to follow the careers of Brooks and Queen moving forward.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... nfl-draft/

I'll admit it, I was upset when they took Brooks. But, I was upset because I'd never heard of him. Which is a downright silly reason to pan a Seahawks pick. There are probably 100s of players in NFL history that have played at a 1st round level that no one has ever heard of before.

I believe I read somewhere that there are more UDFAs in the Hall of Fame than first overall picks.

And hey, there's no better last name for an elite Middle Linebacker than Brooks. Just look at history.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Ow that news broke the KJ had offseason shoulder surgery and may move to SAM this pick makes a ton of sense. Now what seems off is if Seattle had traded back with GB we may have ended up with Taylor in the first or Queen is Baltimore had taken Brooks.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
NOTE: This post has been deleted 5/22/20, this comes after multiple unprovoked attacks on me by acer1240. I will never post here again. This site has officially gone to hell & I'll never return.

Latest posts