1st Round #5 Pick CB Illinois, Devon Witherspoon

JPatera76

Reaction score

CanHawksFan

Reaction score
Somewhere in that video one of the announcers says that he was unranked coming out of high school. If that's true, it's another thing that speaks to his mindset. This is a guy who has never been able to coast on reputation. He's had to fight for everything to get where he is. That's the kind of guy I want on my team.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I love the player, I was hoping we would target Julius Brents later however. This draft is really deep at CB. Deepest position group of this draft class according to many. They must absolutely love him to break from their normal mold of later round CB's.
He is really small compared to normal top over all corner backs being taken too. I don't love this pick for those reasons but I do like him and I hope he is great.

Last edited:

CouchLogic

Reaction score
I think the old heads on the team are going to love this kids fire.

Size be damned, if you tell him to tackle buffalo...he's going to try his hardest to bring it down. He might actually do it, and that's beautiful.

BASF

Reaction score
He is obviously a film junky and can translate what he sees on tape to the field. Once he is on the field shutting people down, everyone will be happy with the pick.

Plus, I promise not to be a JHM and bring up that we could have drafted someone else that I wanted every time he makes a poor play.

GemCity

Reaction score
I love the player. Not as excited about the position at 5.

I would’ve loved to see DT (not Carter) or Edge…possibly obtained via a trade back of this 5th spot. But, who knows what was available trade wise….

That’s nitpicky shit though. I am 100% happy with our choice.

I do love that Spoon, ReekdaFreak, and Coby (back to covering slot receivers..in which he excels) will be locking it down.

How do you throw against that?

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
One of Sherm's greatest skills was his ability to make open-field tackles. This kid has that, wraps up well, and is lightning fast to the hit. If he says strong and healthy, he'll be a strong asset.

I see more "coverage sacks" coming this year. Teams will struggle to get guys open. That will mean more time for DEs to wreak havoc.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I love the player. Not as excited about the position at 5.

I would’ve loved to see DT (not Carter) or Edge…possibly obtained via a trade back of this 5th spot. But, who knows what was available trade wise….

That’s nitpicky shit though. I am 100% happy with our choice.

I do love that Spoon, ReekdaFreak, and Coby (back to covering slot receivers..in which he excels) will be locking it down.

How do you throw against that?
Good point, I think by having a stable of lockdown corners, the Hawks just improved their pass rush!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Pete compared him to Troy Polamalu

Love for the game, hitting and style of play? Sure.

But Witherspoon is 15 lbs lighter, and that's a LOT for a defensive back/safety.

I love this pick the more I see tape, but my only reservation is like Adams, secondary players who hit and play as violent as Witherspoon have a short shelf life.

Look no further than our own LOB and Adams. Earl, Kam, Adams and Sherm all broke down before their time due to the violence in which they played.

Ozzy

Reaction score
Love for the game, hitting and style of play? Sure.

But Witherspoon is 15 lbs lighter, and that's a LOT for a defensive back/safety.

I love this pick the more I see tape, but my only reservation is like Adams, secondary players who hit and play as violent as Witherspoon does have a short shelf life.

Look no further than our own LOB and Adams. Earl, Kam, Adams and Sherm all broke down before their time due to the violence in which they played.
@Sgt. Largent I want some credit for telling you this could very well be the pick :)

Its a fair thing to worry about, players who play like Witherspoon especially at that size, are more likely to get hurt. He seemed to be durable in college though so maybe he's just built for it.

He was easily one of my favorite players in the draft after watching someone do a breakdown of him. He's pure violence but more controlled than Adams.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
@Sgt. Largent I want some credit for telling you this could very well be the pick :)

Its a fair thing to worry about, players who play like Witherspoon especially at that size, are more likely to get hurt. He seemed to be durable in college though so maybe he's just built for it.

He was easily one of my favorite players in the draft after watching someone do a breakdown of him. He's pure violence but more controlled than Adams.

I gave you some love in the other thread you tagged me on!

HOW MUCH LOVE DO YOU NEED PNW!! YOU'RE INSATIABLE!!