#2 for price of a brew

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1v5drpm6 said:
RolandDeschain":1v5drpm6 said:
Force our perennially-money-hungry state government to charge the national average tax rate for alcohol and the prices on our stadium beers would probably drop to about $2.75.

No they wouldn't. We are buying them now so the market is there. It won't change the price one penny.
I was just being a wiseass about our state alcohol tax rate, which is the highest in the nation. Geez, Dom; you're slippin'.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2urg4jsf said:
Tech Worlds":2urg4jsf said:
RolandDeschain":2urg4jsf said:
Force our perennially-money-hungry state government to charge the national average tax rate for alcohol and the prices on our stadium beers would probably drop to about $2.75.

No they wouldn't. We are buying them now so the market is there. It won't change the price one penny.
I was just being a wiseass about our state alcohol tax rate, which is the highest in the nation. Geez, Dom; you're slippin'.

So you make a poor attempt at sarcasm, an incorrect statement on top of it, and I am the one who is slippin?

right on!

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1tbyhfjl said:
So you make a poor attempt at sarcasm, an incorrect statement on top of it, and I am the one who is slippin?

right on!
An incorrect statement?

Add up the state beer tax, state wine tax, (both of which are middling, ranked 24th in the nation) and the state liquor tax, then show me a state with a higher number than Washington.

Our spirit tax is MILES higher than anyone else in existence. My statement said alcohol tax not beer tax, so perhaps you misread what I said; but if you import a gallon of beer, a gallon of wine, and a gallon of vodka into Washington state, you are paying more tax than doing the same in any other state in the nation, and it's not even CLOSE. Here, I'll do the math myself for you.

Here are the links, should you be curious:
http://taxfoundation.org/blog/map-beer- ... state-2014
http://taxfoundation.org/blog/map-wine- ... state-2014
http://taxfoundation.org/blog/map-spiri ... state-2014

Washington state combined alcohol tax rate: $36.35
Next highest in the entire nation? Oregon, at $23.48. LOOK AT THE DIFFERENCE. It's absolute insanity.
3rd highest: Alabama, $20.98.

Now, we can't tell from this data if Washington actually makes more money off of alcohol than any other state. Alcohol consumption obviously varies by region, and type of alcohol consumed plays a big role, etc.; and the population of a state is clearly a gigantic indicator as well, so I'm pretty confident that Washington state does not MAKE more money off of alcohol than any other state, but that is not what I said or claimed.

Latest posts