2 great gameplans in a row by Mr Bevell

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tical21":3orf1iwy said:
I think we need to get two big playmakers. Just one puts pressure on a young QB. Or just find a way to get Golden back.

Bevell was pretty good. We got a lot of zone today and found some spots, certainly. Only one real head-scratcher sticks out. We get first down inside the 5 off a timeout and draw up a fade to a 6'0 kid that was called up off the practice squad? I guess he wanted to get Kevin Smith his first TD, and he darn near almost did, but that was a little weird.

I'd still prefer we go to Lockett on the screens.

We finally hit a cover-3 beater that teams have been using against us for two years for the big TD down the sideline.
Oh, I can think of a few more plays than that one that were headscratchers, but I just liked how the playcalling was in the flow and targeted weaknesses.

THe 4x1 wr bunch to Iso Jimmy was an all or nothing gamble. Early in the game we had a pass play that kind of left Russ under pressure with 3 late developing routes on a deep shot with no real safety valve, the standard stuff. None of the 2 point conversions looked like plays we can consistently count on.

But I don't expect perfection. Just some flow, target weaknesses, give the QB good alternatives, audible out of bad numbers, all the normal stuff really good offenses do as a matter of routine.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
People still think Bevell is a bad OC? Go watch other NFL offenses. I'd take Bevell over most other OC's. Have you seen what Kyle Shannahan has done to ATL's offense? They are barely averaging 15 points their last 5 games or so. Miami just fired Lazor today, who somehow turned that offense into a bottom 10 NFL offense.

Boycie

Reaction score
The Outfield":ibni6bjc said:
hawkfan68":ibni6bjc said:
Here's a stat I really like - 4/4 in the red zone. Now if only Hauschka can convert extra points...as the offense went up, Hauschka went down in the extra point dept.

Yeah, what the heck Hausch? Last thing I'd expect him to perform poorly on is extra point kicks.

Anyone else think that as good as Haush is, he sure takes longer than most kickers to kick the ball? It is like his stride up to ball is slow. I am not complaining about him because he has been money, but this is what I have seen.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":e7e2n1pp said:
It was weird, when Graham got hurt I texted Pe that the playcalling was going to better after that. No more touches to get anyone. As good as Graham played, they were forcing plays to him. Without him, it got even better.

It remains to be seen if that holds true, he does absorb a lot of attention from safeties.

Either what you say or the pressure facing Bevell on figuring out how to actually use Graham was removed.

I still am not convinced Bevell knows how to effectively incorporate a tall WR or a TE into the O. Until Graham was hurt it was however starting to look as if an understanding of the correct use of a TE was starting to happen so maybe there is hope.

Kudos to him for two well called games. Interesting how much better an OC can begin to look when his OLine gives his QB some time in the pocket isn't it?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Seahawks are #1 in NFL in scoring offense over the last three weeks (yes, that excludes DEF/ST scores).

#1 in redzone over that span, as well (80%).

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":21f49epa said:
People still think Bevell is a bad OC? Go watch other NFL offenses. I'd take Bevell over most other OC's. Have you seen what Kyle Shannahan has done to ATL's offense? They are barely averaging 15 points their last 5 games or so. Miami just fired Lazor today, who somehow turned that offense into a bottom 10 NFL offense.

Both teams have bad quarterbacks.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Matt Ryan and Tannehill? Those guys have the tools to be great QBs. Not sure if it's all on scheme, but their floundering is kind of mystifying, especially for Ryan who's had an excellent run game and Julio Jones to lean on.

Right now, there are people in Atlanta legitimately wondering if Shanahan is a QB-killer. Very public falling out with both McNabb and RG3; Hoyer's QB rating is 20 points higher in HOU than it was with Shanahan last year; and Matt Ryan is arguably having the worst season of his career.

Meanwhile, Russ and Bevell are fist-bumping and tearing through defenses with a cast of UDFAs.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Bevell's value as a coach wasn't never in question by a few of us on here. As I said all along, once the offensive line gives a semblance of protection, we'd be just fine. Also, Russ has been transitioning to incorporate his game into the pocket more and that has taken some time. I think Sunday's win over the Steelers showed good signs of that.

Here's hoping you listen to me a little more in the future. I am,after all, hoping for the best success of the Seahawks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
DavidSeven":9so14b42 said:
Matt Ryan and Tannehill? Those guys have the tools to be great QBs.

I haven't watched as much of Tannehill, but Ryan is making terrible decisions as well as experiencing a Rodgers-like regression with his accuracy.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
kearly":1zqzi24e said:
I was pretty upset by Bevell's 2 point calls, and his two plays that preceded the Baldwin-quake felt like poor situational awareness.

Also, it really annoyed me that the PAT Haush missed would have made it pre-2015. It ended up being a 3 point play since Seattle's 2 point offense is so bad. Is Seattle the worst PAT / 2-point team in the league this season?

Which points out the many concerns most of us have about Bevell's genuine ability as an OC. He's still not very capable at calling plays that succeed in the redzone.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2e8tpv71 said:
Bevell's value as a coach wasn't never in question by a few of us on here. As I said all along, once the offensive line gives a semblance of protection, we'd be just fine. Also, Russ has been transitioning to incorporate his game into the pocket more and that has taken some time. I think Sunday's win over the Steelers showed good signs of that.

Here's hoping you listen to me a little more in the future. I am,after all, hoping for the best success of the Seahawks.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to defend the playcalls on the two-point conversions?

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":22ug6uxn said:
Siouxhawk":22ug6uxn said:

Just out of curiosity, are you going to defend the playcalls on the two-point conversions?
I'll break down the tape tonight and report back.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":68wt0yjp said:

Before you pat yourself on the back too much, consider that your idol takes the entire first half of every season to adjust to the blitz. His slowness to adapt has played a role in the five losses leaving us on the outside of the division looking in.

Now back on my ignore list. I wish people would stop quoting you, but I can't control 'em, so...

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I won't defend the 2-point calls, but Russ has only converted two 2-point conversions on passes in his entire career, one of which was the prayer thrown up to Luke Willson last year. That is a level of futility that goes beyond playcalling.

Is Russell a bit limited when the field gets shorter? I don't think the answer is as obvious as people want to make it out to be. When you see Ben Roethlisberger convert these 2-point plays time after time, I really don't believe it's because they're out-scheming anyone. Every single time, it's a simple, quick throw to a guy in one-on-one coverage. Ben finds the match-up he wants, and delivers a quick strike. Look at the tape. There is nothing cute about their 2-point plays. Just a bunch of curls and slants vs. one-on-one coverage.

Go back to the All-22 on the 2-point play from Sunday. There is a decision for the QB to make. Whether or not Smith was the called target on this play, Russ looks over at him and decides that, yes, this is indeed the match-up he wants. Fwiw, Lockett gets himself wiiiiiiide open on the slant.

Seymour

Reaction score
Yes Darrell....2 out of 11 great job!! :pukeface:

Smellyman

Reaction score
DavidSeven":21fx0x2n said:
I won't defend the 2-point calls, but Russ has only converted two 2-point conversions on passes in his entire career, one of which was the prayer thrown up to Luke Willson last year. That is a level of futility that goes beyond playcalling.

Is Russell a bit limited when the field gets shorter? I don't think the answer is as obvious as people want to make it out to be. When you see Ben Roethlisberger convert these 2-point plays time after time, I really don't believe it's because they're out-scheming anyone. Every single time, it's a simple, quick throw to a guy in one-on-one coverage. Ben finds the match-up he wants, and delivers a quick strike. Look at the tape. There is nothing cute about their 2-point plays. Just a bunch of curls and slants vs. one-on-one coverage.

Go back to the All-22 on the 2-point play from Sunday. There is a decision for the QB to make. Whether or not Smith was the called target on this play, Russ looks over at him and decides that, yes, this is indeed the match-up he wants. Fwiw, Lockett gets himself wiiiiiiide open on the slant.

No, he is limited by the play caller. He is one of the few qb's who is almost unlimited in the play calls. Trying to defend Wilson should be a D coordinators nightmare, but Bevell likes to call fades.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":owhpt8ax said:
Siouxhawk":owhpt8ax said:

Before you pat yourself on the back too much, consider that your idol takes the entire first half of every season to adjust to the blitz. His slowness to adapt has played a role in the five losses leaving us on the outside of the division looking in.

Now back on my ignore list. I wish people would stop quoting you, but I can't control 'em, so...
But he does adapt, and that's pivotal. It happened regularly last season in wins and it's happened this year, as the offense has surged ahead, only to have the defense unfortunately not be able to close out the win.

Point is that the offense looks much improved now and for that I will tip my hat to Bev. He's an influential coach on my favorite team and I couldn't be happier.

kf3339

Reaction score
Let's not give praise to Bevell too quickly. It will go to his head and we will be right back where we started scratching our heads at his ineptitude.