2 great gameplans in a row by Mr Bevell

kearly

Reaction score
I was pretty upset by Bevell's 2 point calls, and his two plays that preceded the Baldwin-quake felt like poor situational awareness.

But otherwise, yeah. Good things happened. 32, 29 (should have been 31), and 39 (should have been 42) points the last three games.

Also, it really annoyed me that the PAT Haush missed would have made it pre-2015. It ended up being a 3 point play since Seattle's 2 point offense is so bad. Is Seattle the worst PAT / 2-point team in the league this season?

Ozzy

Reaction score
The offense took off when he quit the horizontal pass game against a very fast defense. The steelers problems have always been defending the vertical game and Seattle proved that. Surprised we didn't do that from the beginning. Overall bevell did a good job though.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1j9mubsu said:
I loved some of the 3 man combo routes.

Yeah that double move seam route was a thing beauty (30 yard TD to DB). He bolted up the field as soon as Will Allen turned to look for the ball.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think we looked good in the passing game because we were playing from behind the majority of the game and had to open things up, the Steelers were walking down the field, we could not be conservative, I really don't think it was a game plan they wanted but one they were forced to adopt. It worked, Bevel had to let Wilson throw the ball at will.

Polk738

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1si1orhn said:
Still too many bubble screens and empty sets on 3rd downs, but one of DB's better efforts overall this year.

This-I was getting pissed about that especially after that big run back by Lockett, such a wasted opportunity to capitalize on great field position.

Hawks46

Reaction score
hawk45":2i02cp6z said:
And he adjusted when they started stoning Rawls. And we beat the blitz.

Yea, i was noticing that they were blitzing on literally every pass down at first. Once we adjusted and started making them pay, they looked like one of the worst pass defenses in the league. Which they are.

Also not coincidental that when we actually adjusted for the blitz and Wilson has a career day.

baumer64

Reaction score
Before we go and make him lifetime OC, don't forget we were 3 and out on 5 of the first 6 drives in the 2nd half. The one that wasn't a 3 and out was the amazing long throw catch of Graham at the 2.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
kearly":13l5unt2 said:
I was pretty upset by Bevell's 2 point calls, and his two plays that preceded the Baldwin-quake felt like poor situational awareness.

But otherwise, yeah. Good things happened. 32, 29 (should have been 31), and 39 (should have been 42) points the last three games.

Also, it really annoyed me that the PAT Haush missed would have made it pre-2015. It ended up being a 3 point play since Seattle's 2 point offense is so bad. Is Seattle the worst PAT / 2-point team in the league this season?

I don't understand calling a low percentage fade to your fourth receiver who just got called up to the roster a couple weeks ago as your go to 2 point conversion play all. Shades of throwing it to Lockette at the one yard line last year because the other team will be "surprised" and won't see it coming.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I dont remember last week being a good week for bevell, but outside of a stupid fade route that had 0% chance of success he called a good game today.

So good for him on that, but he has still called more bad than good. It will be interesting to see how he does without Graham now that he seemed to be able to incorporate him.

Mojambo

Reaction score
Funny how Bevell all of the sudden became smarter when the offensive line progressed to the point where they could use a pocket passing game.

It's almost as if the real problem had less to do with Bevell all along...

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
kearly":5o25li3m said:

If we aren't the worst, were close.

This is an actual problem and the hawks need to address it. We can't be having half our PATs blocked AND converting none of our 2 pts.

The Hawks are setting themselves up for a heartbreaking "if only we made our PAT" game.

I don't think ive ever seen a team as bad at turning a TD into more than 6 points.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Mojambo":136d8d4r said:
Funny how Bevell all of the sudden became smarter when the offensive line progressed to the point where they could use a pocket passing game.

Nice try.

Anyone who has watched Hawks games has seen how we will go 3 quarters doing absolutely nothing and then Wilson takes over and the difference is night and day. The complete change from sucking to succeeding cannot be blamed on OL.

The question has always been: why can't we do in the first 3 quarters what we do in the 4th? The answer is BEVELL.

The blame lies in Bevell for ALWAYS going back to his failed strategies that lead us nowhere. If Bevell was a player who had others competing for his job he would have been benched for his horrible 3 qtrs of play.

Today, for once, the playcalling seemed pretty good.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":3fd74lyr said:
Mojambo":3fd74lyr said:

Nice try.

Anyone who has watched Hawks games has seen how we will go 3 quarters doing absolutely nothing and then Wilson takes over and the difference is night and day. The complete change from sucking to succeeding cannot be blamed on OL.

The question has always been: why can't we do in the first 3 quarters what we do in the 4th? The answer is BEVELL.

The blame lies in Bevell for ALWAYS going back to his failed strategies that lead us nowhere. If Bevell was a player who had others competing for his job he would have been benched for his horrible 3 qtrs of play.

Today, for once, the playcalling seemed pretty good.

Yikes. Not even close to reality. Have you been watching this season. The Russell Wilson's been the reason we've won in the 4th quarter was last year. We've stunk in the fourth quarter on offense this year.. We've had a number of chances to put the game away or take the lead and we've failed to do that.

For f's sakes people don't get so entrenched in your feelings you can't see that this offense is coming together on iffense in all categories.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I love it, Recon.

Iffense. When it isn't working, I am calling it Iffense.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
baumer64":1wetdzs5 said:
Before we go and make him lifetime OC, don't forget we were 3 and out on 5 of the first 6 drives in the 2nd half. The one that wasn't a 3 and out was the amazing long throw catch of Graham at the 2.

I was really getting pissed about this too but he seemed to adjust his playcalling towards the later 3rd quarter.

My irritation with Bevell is his stubbornness and lack of diversity ( in respect to doing the same things that do not work). We eventually did go back to the read option but sparingly and I hate not having two backs in the backfield. I'm not saying all the time but it's so rare and we are a run first team. However if he adjusts to the game and we win, he can do whatever he wants.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Scottemojo":un6w5ihj said:
It was weird, when Graham got hurt I texted Pe that the playcalling was going to better after that. No more touches to get anyone. As good as Graham played, they were forcing plays to him. Without him, it got even better.

It remains to be seen if that holds true, he does absorb a lot of attention from safeties.

There is some truth to this, but it was starting to work. I think our offense works best when you let Russell see the play and deliver to whomever is open. Same thing with Marshawn and the Read Option. Distribute the ball where it makes the most sense based on how the paly is being defensed, not on a preconception of who should get the ball.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Scottemojo":33yi3ke7 said:
It was weird, when Graham got hurt I texted Pe that the playcalling was going to better after that. No more touches to get anyone. As good as Graham played, they were forcing plays to him. Without him, it got even better.

It remains to be seen if that holds true, he does absorb a lot of attention from safeties.

Agree. I said in another thread that I think the absence of Lynch/Graham may actually free up Russ/Bevell a bit. They can call the game they want. That beautiful 11-play drive in the 2Q? Almost no runs. No one in the stands screaming for beastmode; no superstars flipping the bird over touches.

That said, talent is talent. And at some point, the lack of it does find a way of catching up. Tough road ahead without those two.

Seafan

Reaction score
I believe a lot of the criticism for Bevell this year is actually reluctant criticism for the person leading the offense. If Russ is successful executing the play versus whether he is unsuccessful. Isn't it true that RW has had two good games in a row and many want to applaud DB for finally putting together great game plans.

Tical21

Reaction score
I think we need to get two big playmakers. Just one puts pressure on a young QB. Or just find a way to get Golden back.

Bevell was pretty good. We got a lot of zone today and found some spots, certainly. Only one real head-scratcher sticks out. We get first down inside the 5 off a timeout and draw up a fade to a 6'0 kid that was called up off the practice squad? I guess he wanted to get Kevin Smith his first TD, and he darn near almost did, but that was a little weird.

I'd still prefer we go to Lockett on the screens.

We finally hit a cover-3 beater that teams have been using against us for two years for the big TD down the sideline.