2 great gameplans in a row by Mr Bevell

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Seahawks offense now #4 in the NFL according to DVOA.

Yep, terrible season for the offensive coordinator.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1895edxi said:
I won't defend the 2-point calls, but Russ has only converted two 2-point conversions on passes in his entire career, one of which was the prayer thrown up to Luke Willson last year. That is a level of futility that goes beyond playcalling.

Is Russell a bit limited when the field gets shorter? I don't think the answer is as obvious as people want to make it out to be. When you see Ben Roethlisberger convert these 2-point plays time after time, I really don't believe it's because they're out-scheming anyone. Every single time, it's a simple, quick throw to a guy in one-on-one coverage. Ben finds the match-up he wants, and delivers a quick strike. Look at the tape. There is nothing cute about their 2-point plays. Just a bunch of curls and slants vs. one-on-one coverage.

Go back to the All-22 on the 2-point play from Sunday. There is a decision for the QB to make. Whether or not Smith was the called target on this play, Russ looks over at him and decides that, yes, this is indeed the match-up he wants. Fwiw, Lockett gets himself wiiiiiiide open on the slant.

Great post. People think there's some special formula to the redzone which Bevell and Pete's 40+ years of coaching haven't seen before, yet all the other coordinators have it figured out and make it super easy for their quarterbacks. Really it's just basic route concepts that the entire league runs that require the line to protect and the QB to throw with timing into small windows and the WRs to make their plays.

FWIW, you were right. Lockett was wide open on the slant.
BetterPlumpCranefly.gif

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Great GIF. They rushed 2! And Russ bought the blitz, got rid of it quick, and didn't have to. Good on the DC for the Steelers, they disguised that well.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":q47fnw86 said:
DavidSeven":q47fnw86 said:
I won't defend the 2-point calls, but Russ has only converted two 2-point conversions on passes in his entire career, one of which was the prayer thrown up to Luke Willson last year. That is a level of futility that goes beyond playcalling.

Is Russell a bit limited when the field gets shorter? I don't think the answer is as obvious as people want to make it out to be. When you see Ben Roethlisberger convert these 2-point plays time after time, I really don't believe it's because they're out-scheming anyone. Every single time, it's a simple, quick throw to a guy in one-on-one coverage. Ben finds the match-up he wants, and delivers a quick strike. Look at the tape. There is nothing cute about their 2-point plays. Just a bunch of curls and slants vs. one-on-one coverage.

Go back to the All-22 on the 2-point play from Sunday. There is a decision for the QB to make. Whether or not Smith was the called target on this play, Russ looks over at him and decides that, yes, this is indeed the match-up he wants. Fwiw, Lockett gets himself wiiiiiiide open on the slant.

Great post. People think there's some special formula to the redzone which Bevell and Pete's 40+ years of coaching haven't seen before, yet all the other coordinators have it figured out and make it super easy for their quarterbacks. Really it's just basic route concepts that the entire league runs that require the line to protect and the QB to throw with timing into small windows and the WRs to make their plays.

BetterPlumpCranefly.gif

I swear only on this board can a QB have a game like Wilsons and still be complained about.

rideaducati

Reaction score
The plays have been there to make all season. The difference these past two games has been Russell Wilson getting rid of the ball when he is supposed to throughout the entire game instead of waiting until the last two minutes of each half. These last two games are what we have been waiting to see from Russell. I think he finally "gets it".

chris98251

Reaction score
Wilson has been asking for a hurry up type offense for two years, the pace and getting thing out fast is what he has excelled in. It has taken until now for the "Coachs" to let him have a faster pace, he gets a rhythm, the ball comes out faster and the targets are spread across the board.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":3tjd9ozm said:
People think there's some special formula to the redzone which Bevell and Pete's 40+ years of coaching haven't seen before, yet all the other coordinators have it figured out and make it super easy for their quarterbacks. Really it's just basic route concepts that the entire league runs that require the line to protect and the QB to throw with timing into small windows and the WRs to make their plays.

BetterPlumpCranefly.gif

That's a great shot of the play. To be fair if you're Wilson and you anticipate an all-out blitz, the best thing to do is get it out of your hands quickly. If he expected an all-out assault then a 1v1 fade to the outside isn't a bad decision for Wilson. The problem is, every fan watches that call and thinks, "Oh, what is Bevell thinking there? A fade?" like he just made that decision whatever the defense showed. I suspect Wilson had more than one option at the LOS, read the defense and made the choice to throw the fade. And on this occasion you have to credit the Steelers. A fantastic fake blitz. If Wilson anticipates that call (and why would he to be fair?) he can walk it in for a score himself or throw to a wide open Lockett.

It wasn't so much a bad call as a classic piece of defense from Pittsburgh.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":21devgzw said:
Recon_Hawk":21devgzw said:
DavidSeven":21devgzw said:

BetterPlumpCranefly.gif

I swear only on this board can a QB have a game like Wilsons and still be complained about.

Save your tears. I don't see you defending Bevell despite a great called game and an excellent game plan. Bevell gets shit on 10x more than Russell, yet in a deserved positive Bevell thread there's plenty of people complaining about him.

Here's a suggestion. If you turn around the framed photo of Russell on your desk before you visit a Seahawks site maybe you won't feel so hurt when people point out that Bevell, the Oline, and WRs aren't the only ones to blame for a failed play.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Anthony!":27v9k80e said:
Recon_Hawk":27v9k80e said:
DavidSeven":27v9k80e said:

BetterPlumpCranefly.gif

And an OC.

Fudwamper

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2qtrg1ci said:
Recon_Hawk":2qtrg1ci said:
People think there's some special formula to the redzone which Bevell and Pete's 40+ years of coaching haven't seen before, yet all the other coordinators have it figured out and make it super easy for their quarterbacks. Really it's just basic route concepts that the entire league runs that require the line to protect and the QB to throw with timing into small windows and the WRs to make their plays.

BetterPlumpCranefly.gif

That's a great shot of the play. To be fair if you're Wilson and you anticipate an all-out blitz, the best thing to do is get it out of your hands quickly. If he expected an all-out assault then a 1v1 fade to the outside isn't a bad decision for Wilson. The problem is, every fan watches that call and thinks, "Oh, what is Bevell thinking there? A fade?" like he just made that decision whatever the defense showed. I suspect Wilson had more than one option at the LOS, read the defense and made the choice to throw the fade. And on this occasion you have to credit the Steelers. A fantastic fake blitz. If Wilson anticipates that call (and why would he to be fair?) he can walk it in for a score himself or throw to a wide open Lockett.

It wasn't so much a bad call as a classic piece of defense from Pittsburgh.

I see a great pre read given by the stealers, Lockett is not really that open, you see the LB and the CB drift into thier zones and if Wilson looked their way I think they would have clogged that throwing lane to lockett. Instead we see them both read wilsons head and then continue/stop drifting after the throw.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Watching the all 22, there is a huge disparity between the two very distinct styles of offense that we played.

When we lined up tight, by and large the Steelers were able to contain and confuse. There were a couple of notable exceptions, but like I said, by and large.

When it was spread formations, the change in crispness to the rhythm of the offense was very distinct. Part of that is that Rawls was established as a threat early, and it is pretty plain that the Steelers could not do all the zone blitz stunts they wanted to when they were so spread out.

It took until half the third quarter for Bevell to mostly call spread formations. Once again, in a trend that is becoming pretty plain, Seattle's offense improves when we are not constantly using formations to fool the defense. Instead, the focus was spreading them out, making the D declare intentions, and giving Russell easy pre snap reads. The difference in how he chooses targets from spreads vs tight formations is pretty stark.

On the plus side, the all 22 confirms some things we already knew, using combo routes to clear zones was very effective. In fact, when we went to spreads with combo routes through zones, we went from having to convert (and converting) long third downs to barely having third downs. It devastated that Steelers secondary, which was already reeling from having to pay extra attention to whoever was lined up across from Cockrell.

irfuben32

Reaction score
Mojambo":2ykpmd1e said:
Funny how Bevell all of the sudden became smarter when the offensive line progressed to the point where they could use a pocket passing game.

It's almost as if the real problem had less to do with Bevell all along...

Everyone knew the offensive line was trash, Bevell failed to adjust accordingly

mrt144

Reaction score
Scottemojo":qa8k91k6 said:
Watching the all 22, there is a huge disparity between the two very distinct styles of offense that we played.

When we lined up tight, by and large the Steelers were able to contain and confuse. There were a couple of notable exceptions, but like I said, by and large.

When it was spread formations, the change in crispness to the rhythm of the offense was very distinct. Part of that is that Rawls was established as a threat early, and it is pretty plain that the Steelers could not do all the zone blitz stunts they wanted to when they were so spread out.

It took until half the third quarter for Bevell to mostly call spread formations. Once again, in a trend that is becoming pretty plain, Seattle's offense improves when we are not constantly using formations to fool the defense. Instead, the focus was spreading them out, making the D declare intentions, and giving Russell easy pre snap reads. The difference in how he chooses targets from spreads vs tight formations is pretty stark.

On the plus side, the all 22 confirms some things we already knew, using combo routes to clear zones was very effective. In fact, when we went to spreads with combo routes through zones, we went from having to convert (and converting) long third downs to barely having third downs. It devastated that Steelers secondary, which was already reeling from having to pay extra attention to whoever was lined up across from Cockrell.

I'll have to check it out over the weekend but this sounds very inspiring.

Seymour

Reaction score
Hopefully people will not need to endure a new thread every time Bevell has 2 bad game plans in a row?

rideaducati

Reaction score
irfuben32":2px4tdaj said:
Mojambo":2px4tdaj said:
Funny how Bevell all of the sudden became smarter when the offensive line progressed to the point where they could use a pocket passing game.

It's almost as if the real problem had less to do with Bevell all along...

Everyone knew the offensive line was trash, Bevell failed to adjust accordingly

Russell was culpable in this too and was holding the ball 0.4 seconds on average longer than he has over the last two games. I think the entire team needed to adjust and has.