2 out of 3

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
After the drafts it seams like teams always praise the players they draft. They make claims like "such and such player is who we targeted all along".

I read nothing into JS or Petes comments.

They are have degrees in the art of the positive spin.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think Steven Nelson CB from Oregon St was a guy projected for 4th round that would have been a great Seahawk. I also think Xavier Cooper would have been a great addition. Both could would have been great pick ups with our 4th.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":1aer3lox said:
Seafan":1aer3lox said:
JS commented they got 2 of there 3 "must have's". Of course he wouldn't say who the third guy was.

I wonder if it was Morse or Sambrailo.

He said he wouldn't comment on the 3rd guy because the draft was still going on tomorrow. Might be someone from tomorrow or all 3 could've been taken today.
Lots of different ways to interpret.

Could be someone that got drafted and he doesnt want to talk about another team's player. Could be that the player is still available. Could be that he doesn't want to tip his hat which position he is going for.

Would hate to have a team trade up right in front of us and take the guy they want, although being the guys that Schneider wants doesn't guarantee they will even make the team.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Rob12":1iqipqba said:
hawknation2015":1iqipqba said:
I don't like the way Schneider seems to lock on to picks as "must haves." You cannot tell me there were not players in this draft, picked before or after, who are better than Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett. Clark probably would have been available much later in the draft; or they could have traded up for Randy Gregory or traded down for Owamagbe Odighizuwa.

The 2013 and 2014 drafts were each poor, and the opportunity to recover in this draft was seriously diminished with the trade of four picks in exchange for Lockett. In one sense, the Russell Wilson pick was one of the greatest in team history . . . in another sense, it may have expedited control of the draft process from Carroll to Schneider.

Available much later in the draft. Funny, we heard the same thing about Lofa Tatupu and Bruce Irvin.
So for an example you use: a guy who only played a few years, and a guy who never developed into the player we wanted and will most likely not be on the team a year from now (or sooner).

Kind of a stretch...

Rob12

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":38qopn32 said:
Rob12":38qopn32 said:
hawknation2015":38qopn32 said:
I don't like the way Schneider seems to lock on to picks as "must haves." You cannot tell me there were not players in this draft, picked before or after, who are better than Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett. Clark probably would have been available much later in the draft; or they could have traded up for Randy Gregory or traded down for Owamagbe Odighizuwa.

The 2013 and 2014 drafts were each poor, and the opportunity to recover in this draft was seriously diminished with the trade of four picks in exchange for Lockett. In one sense, the Russell Wilson pick was one of the greatest in team history . . . in another sense, it may have expedited control of the draft process from Carroll to Schneider.

Available much later in the draft. Funny, we heard the same thing about Lofa Tatupu and Bruce Irvin.
So for an example you use: a guy who only played a few years, and a guy who never developed into the player we wanted and will most likely not be on the team a year from now (or sooner).

Kind of a stretch...

It's not a stretch. You know who else was a reach according to a lot of Seahawks fans? Our franchise quarterback. My point is that no one here is qualified to say, "Player X could have been had two rounds from now."

What we've found is that these statements are not correct. That's my point, and it really doesn't matter what players I use as examples.

penihawk

Reaction score
:13: Some here would be pissed if we had the Steelers 74 draft. Geezuz!

Reaneypark

Reaction score
We got two guys who can come in and make an immediate impact in an already stacked team. I think this was a pretty solid job by the Hawks and I'm looking forward to seeing who they get today.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
TheWebHead":3jfu0r3i said:
Given they had 2 picks and wanted 3 guys, then someone probably was picked in round 3, AFTER they had made their selections, that surprised them and they had confidence he'd be there in round 4. Maybe John Miller the guard, or Alex Carter the CB, or RB David Johnson.

The examples everyone is citing in this thread don't seem to make a lot of sense because taking any of them would have deprived the Seahawks the chance of Clark or Lockett.
This is why I think it was Conley that they wanted. Pretty surprising he went in the third and he has all the attributes Pete and JS love. Not to mention they had him for a visit as well. I'd bet money it was Conley they wanted.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1h5bwe15 said:

:lol:

None of these guys have even stepped on the field yet.. saying "You cannot tell me there were not players in this draft, picked before or after, who are better than Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett." is ridiculous.

Let these guys play a couple seasons before we cast these picks off as failures or reaches. I would think a SEAHAWK fan of all people would know this by now.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
Jake Fisher. They were not happy in the war room when Cincy jumped on him.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":265al3mo said:
hawknation2015":265al3mo said:

None of these guys have even stepped on the field yet.. saying "You cannot tell me there were not players in this draft, picked before or after, who are better than Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett." is ridiculous.

Let these guys play a couple seasons before we cast these picks off as failures or reaches. I would think a SEAHAWK fan of all people would know this by now.

It was more a criticism of the strategy or logic of locking on to certain players before the draft rather than taking the best overall player available. The same thing happened with Richardson last year.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
hawknation2015":wx84st6h said:
Hasselbeck":wx84st6h said:
hawknation2015":wx84st6h said:

It was more a criticism of the strategy or logic of locking on to certain players before the draft rather than taking the best overall player available. The same thing happened with Richardson last year.

The same Richardson who was really starting to play some good football until his ACL injury?

Call me crazy but in 6 years they've gone to 2 Super Bowls, nearly winning both of them, with a roster that was once a 4 win team. I guess their narrowed focus seems to be working.

hawknation2015

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2tr2pily said:
hawknation2015":2tr2pily said:
Hasselbeck":2tr2pily said:
hawknation2015":2tr2pily said:

The same Richardson who was really starting to play some good football until his ACL injury?

Call me crazy but in 6 years they've gone to 2 Super Bowls, nearly winning both of them, with a roster that was once a 4 win team. I guess their narrowed focus seems to be working.

The drafts from 2010-2012 were spectacular. Does that mean every criticism of their draft strategy since 2013 is wrong?

I saw a failure to create separation from Richardson even before his 2nd ACL surgery. Like Lockett, Richardson has a thin frame that makes him prone to injuries at this level.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I am actually think this had to do with us not trading with Atlanta. If we had traded Irvin and a 4th we might have been in position to get the 3rd guy we wanted.

It seems interesting that both picks before Atlanta's 2nd rounder got traded and both
of the big WR target DGB and Funchess that were speculated targets for the Seahawks were selected.

We they really considering drafting a big 6'5 WR and and still drafting a Return jitterbug type in Lockett? Everyhting else makes sense as a logical pick but imaging they had traded Irvin, but ended up with Funchess, Clark, and Lockett.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2iixj01s said:
I am actually think this had to do with us not trading with Atlanta. If we had traded Irvin and a 4th we might have been in position to get the 3rd guy we wanted.

It seems interesting that both picks before Atlanta's 2nd rounder got traded and both
of the big WR target DGB and Funchess that were speculated targets for the Seahawks were selected.

We they really considering drafting a big 6'5 WR and and still drafting a Return jitterbug type in Lockett? Everyhting else makes sense as a logical pick but imaging they had traded Irvin, but ended up with Funchess, Clark, and Lockett.
:hmmmm:
That's plausible.

sutz

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":m4q580g4 said:
Not sure what their plan was to get all 3.
This. Given the variables in the draft, I think getting 2 of 3 is pretty damn good.

I also think people are taking him a bit too literal. After all, with our current roster, no single miss on draft day is going to lower our playoff expectations. I hear him say "must have" and really I hear "really want."

I also think people over think his "targeted player" verbiage, too. Every team will "target" guys they want. And there are always things that will affect the ability to draft them. There are 31 other teams, and while you can predict with some degree of certainty, things always change when the picks start going down. So, back to my original statement, to quote Meatloaf, two out of three ain't bad.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
hawknation2015":1nj7w5ik said:
Hawkfan77":1nj7w5ik said:
hawknation2015":1nj7w5ik said:

The 2013 and 2014 drafts were each poor, and the opportunity to recover in this draft was seriously diminished with the trade of four picks in exchange for Lockett. In one sense, the Russell YWilson pick was one of the greatest in team history . . . in another sense, it may have expedited control of the draft process from Carroll to Schneider.
So you're judging a draft class on a loaded team after only 1 year?? Craziness abound

Maybe that is unfair; I do think the 2014 class is already better than the 2013 class. I do not have much hope for the final four picks in that class. I also believe Marsh was a reach. KPL could prove to be a productive starter if he stays healthy. The same could be said for Richardson. Norwood is a wild card who received few opportunities. So far, Britt has been the only true success story, and he allowed the 2nd most pressures in the league and may be better served with a move inside.
You know about what they say about opinions and everyone having one right? I see you have yours, well don't be shocked when I say I have one also and it looks as though you and I may have a SLIGHT difference of opinion. :thfight7: 8) :mrgreen:

Latest posts