2 Point Try

nanomoz

Reaction score
Absolutely moronic. Pete is an amazing coach, wouldn't trade him for anyone, but he makes several utterly dumbfounding in-game calls every year.

falcongoggles

Reaction score
From a statistics standpoint it was a bad call. Even with the woes of our field goal unit, the probability of making an extra point are exponentially higher than converting a 2-point attempt.

By kicking the extra point you are in effect taking the 2-point attempt and putting that statistical improbability on NE.

Great poker players win money because they play the odds. Pete did not and we saw what happened.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
falcongoggles":2xtzbstk said:
From a statistics standpoint it was a bad call. Even with the woes of our field goal unit, the probability of making an extra point are exponentially higher than converting a 2-point attempt.

By kicking the extra point you are in effect taking the 2-point attempt and putting that statistical improbability on NE.

Great poker players win money because they play the odds. Pete did not and we saw what happened.

We didn't really see a clear outcome of that play though. The defense held and they didn't get their touchdown. Had they gotten it, we'd have seen a result of the play: New England would have either tied it and sent it to overtime, or Big Balls Bill would have gone for two and either converted or not.

For that to not have been the right decision by Pete, the Patriots would have had to have scored a touchdown and then gambled the entire game on one play and won, which would have been a huge gamble. Otherwise, worst case scenario would have taken it to overtime. Our gamble with the two-point conversion that time would have been far less a gamble than New England's gamble going for two with the entire game on the line.

Seafan

Reaction score
Stupid call. The Hawks were frequently out coached in this game as expected. Thankfully the team outplayed the Pats.

sutz

Reaction score
I have no problem with the call. Worst case, you make them choose to go for 1 or 2 if they get their TD. Luckily, they didn't get to make that choice at all. :D

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
I thought it was a good call straight up and I understand why he did it.

So what it didn't work thats the NFL. I generally tend to agree with Pete on the decisions he makes so I like that.

He believes in his players.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I'm ok with it.

You have to look at the situation within the game. We know Brady is going to get them into the red zone again, and we hadn't stopped Blount all game long down there.

This was about trying to put the game out of reach with 2 scores. It's risk/reward: if you make the 2 pt conversion, you pretty much salt the game away right there. If you don't, you're still up by 7 and almost no coach goes for 2 to win the game at the end.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Seafan":1orajpf9 said:
Stupid call. The Hawks were frequently out coached in this game as expected. Thankfully the team outplayed the Pats.

Silly post. We took Gronk away, and kept their defense off balance.

Cant give the coaches all the blame for losses and no credit for wins.

I didnt like the 2 point at the time but I got the logic. Tried to end the game early. Wish we drew up a better play though.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Hawks46":2aq38r1e said:
I'm ok with it.

If you don't, you're still up by 7 and almost no coach goes for 2 to win the game at the end.

Well said sir. They are the home team so no chance they go for 2.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I like the killer instinct. This game is a game of inches and in many cases, single points. A 2 point conversion is something this offense can be very good at, and had we gotten it, the game wouild have been pretty much over

SeaToTheHawks

Reaction score
falcongoggles":2ispfskb said:

I don't think you know what exponential means, nor do you know what statistical improbability means.

Polaris

Reaction score
I agreed with the call. You usually expect to get that conversion a bit more than half the time, and Hauschka has struggled recently with PATs. You also know that Brady is at his most dangerous in the vaunted two minute drill.

If you pick the PAT (and make it), the Pats can still tie the score with a two point conversion and the Pats are good at that.

If you go for the two point conversion and make it, the game is effectively over since there isn't enough time left (even for Brady) to score twice (it would have been a 9pt lead).

If you go for the two and don't get it, then you really aren't any worse off than going for the PAT since the Pats can still tie it with a touchdown.

It's dissapointing we didn't make the 2pt conversion and thus get in the kill shot, but against a team as good as the Pats, if you have the opportunity to win right then with a single play is there (which the 2pt conversion would have done), you take it.

JIMHO

slateman77

Reaction score
Totally disagree with the call....makes Hauschka feel like he can't be depended upon in crucial game ending scenarios...need to increase his confidence...not deter it ..The percentage of the kick is very high compared to a 2 point conversion.....Either way I thought we played one hell of a game...Go Hawks..!! :2thumbs:

Polaris

Reaction score
slateman77":2rvkr6om said:
Totally disagree with the call....makes Hauschka feel like he can't be depended upon in crucial game ending scenarios...need to increase his confidence...not deter it ..The percentage of the kick is very high compared to a 2 point conversion.....Either way I thought we played one hell of a game...Go Hawks..!! :2thumbs:

Not at all. Confidence in Hauschka had nothing to do with it (consider how many FGs he made!). Rather, it was Pete's attempt to effectively end the game right there and then by making it a two score game. Against a team as good and explosive as the Patriots (esp on offense w/Brady), if you've got such an opportunity, YOU TAKE IT!

Reaneypark

Reaction score
I hated the call. Force them to make a big play. Don't let them off the hook!

soje

Reaction score
That call alone was horrible. Combine it with not going for the 2 point conversion when we scored the first TD (we missed the extra point, by the way) and it makes it horrendous.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
soje":2430ygon said:
That call alone was horrible. Combine it with not going for the 2 point conversion when we scored the first TD (we missed the extra point, by the way) and it makes it horrendous.

The amount of people arguing we should have kicked the extra point because it was a gimme is pretty amusing, considering the emboldened part. Neither were/are gimmies. Hauschka's missed a bunch of them this season.

potatohead

Reaction score
soje":1taq8ptd said:

So which is it? You can't have it both ways, they already missed an XP earlier, who says they make this one?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Didn't have a problem with it at all. Convert it and it's a 2 score game. I was ok with the aggressiveness there