2 Questions Reg. Kearse + Trades.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
eastcoast12":2h3oavyj said:
vin.couve12":2h3oavyj said:
Back to the trades, not only were they not worth it, but lost us draft picks.

I am probably wrong, but if we don't sign Richardson this offseason and he leaves in FA, I believe we get a comp pick in return. With what he'll probably get that will turn into a 3rd.

Correct me if I am wrong. But JS plays the comp pick game well.

You only get compensatory picks for free agents if you don’t sign any free agents to high end contracts yourself. People on here act as if comp picks are automatic but they are part of a complicated formula. Not picking on you, but many posters on here who treat comp picks as automatic will also complain when we don’t spend money in free agency to sign high end players. So if we sit out the start of free agency spending spree this year, then we probably get a 4th round compensatory pick for Richardson in the 2019 draft.

I thought we gave up too much draft capital for both trades and didn’t like either of them, but I’ll admit that Brown is a better player than I thought and that could turn into a good trade for us if we sign him to an extension.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
brimsalabim":kcbr62o8 said:
vin.couve12":kcbr62o8 said:
Jimmy ain't blocking anyone or their Grandma anyway...
oh I agree but you can't deny that Jimmy's productivity has gone up substantially since Brown arrived.
Well yes and no. Jimmy has had some ok games between the 20s since (and some completely invisible ones), but it's really been in the RZ that his production has risen. We should have been splitting him out wide in the RZ regardless. They're all snap amd throw plays anyway. We just weren't doing it because we aren't the sharpest tool in the shed on offense. I think Brown is largely unrelated in that sense. I do know what you mean though...we were definitely using him at times to chip there. Mostly with no results, but we were doing it. We just haven't seen him light up the seems or sit down in zones and catch a lot of passes. It's been all RZ type stuff, which is good, but in theory we should be getting more between the 20s and we aren't.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Definitely worth it. Draft picks are lottery tickets, and you just don't usually get players the caliber of Brown and Richardson in the 2nd and 3rd round. Players of their caliber are worth top 15 picks in most drafts.

Sometimes it is nice to have an abundance of draft picks, but sometimes it is nice to invest in high end talent. I can see an argument for both approaches.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
How quickly people forget that Kearse did next to nothing here last season. He's one of the only good WR's on the Jets, of course he's gonna' get some numbers.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
poly1274":2lvipdun said:
jammerhawk":2lvipdun said:
The Richardson trade was necessary because of the youthful stupidity of the rookie DT McDougall, if Richardson is capable of being re-signed then it could turn out to be a really great trade, and if not the team will recapture a 3rd Rd. Pick for him depending on the rest of their offseason machinations.

As far as Brown is concerned I can’t see how anyone wouldn’t think that was n’t a bad trade save for the Lane part of the deal. Perhaps Lane will still return some value before the end of his time here. The team now has a solid LT for at least another season or more and can bring Fant along in a more normal way for someone who has a very limited football background.

I didn't really think we needed an LT because RW mostly runs out of the pocket. But I believed in order to have a good rushing game, you need better Guards and a better C.

With respect I disagree on the lack of need for a reasonably good LT, but do completely agree about the Guards. Fortunately Odhiambo got some experience this season and will be a good LG relpacing the underwhelming Joeckel and another off season in weight program will clearly help Pocic. Fant will force Ifedi to sharpen up or he will sit behind Fant next year. I truly believe Britt is not playing badly at C and we don't need a better C than him.

What is clear from the trades is RW has been less harassed by blind side rushes since Brown arrived. Both these trades will look to be excellent trades if Richardson can be retained next year.

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
poly1274":2ssn77ta said:
Prich hasn't been doing nothing more than Kearse did when he was in Seattle. (Except that 1 game)

PRich's 2017 is basically on par with Kearse's best year in Seattle (2015). The Seahawks however MASSIVELY overpaid him when they signed him to an extension of 3 years, $13.5 million. I expect that they will try and sign PRich to a 2-3 year extension for around 2.7-3.0 million per year. PRich would be smart to do a one or two year deal where he "bets on himself" and plays well and healthy then tries to cash in on a bigger contract when he is 26 or 27 years old (he's 25 now).

vin.couve12

Reaction score
If things really are to be different next year with a return to a balanced offense, the best thing for P Rich to do for himself would be to go to a higher profile passing offense, if he's really going to bet on himself. How many opportunities does a #2 really get here next year? Is Jimmy staying? What does that mean for him? Where is this money coming from? Who would pony up the most for a year or more?

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Why does Richardson get so much flak around here?

The guy has 703 yards and 6 TDs as the #2 target in a spread the ball offense. Kearse had 685 and 5 TDs in his best year here, and never broke 550 any other year. He has 750 and 5 TDs as the Jets top receiver.

Lockett is on par with Jermaine's average years as the 3rd receiver.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":1kl1z54a said:
Those trades were made to win it all this year. It's looking like we failed, but I would rather have a FO with the guts to make a move vs the complacent ones that never make a move.
THIS. THIS. THIS.
The FO has been doing it since day one.They have shown that they are not afraid to make a move. So many teams sit on a move because they don't want to hurt their pride. I think there is only one other team that makes moves with guts. Yeah, the Patriots.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":3ssksjl5 said:
LudwigsDrummer":3ssksjl5 said:
Those trades were made to win it all this year. It's looking like we failed, but I would rather have a FO with the guts to make a move vs the complacent ones that never make a move.
THIS. THIS. THIS.
The FO has been doing it since day one.They have shown that they are not afraid to make a move. So many teams sit on a move because they don't want to hurt their pride. I think there is only one other team that makes moves with guts. Yeah, the Patriots.

Yup, and JS and PC have shown nearly zero tendency to go out on a limb for a WR. You can bet your butt they're watching more NCAA films on WRs and DBs than you can imagine. As it's been said before, these are business transactions and the draft prospects can be winning lottery tickets.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
I think there was certainly pressure to perform this season, but we'll either keep Richardson or get a pick back as comp, and we needed a sure hand on the O-line in Brown, so the moves aren't exactly losses.

Not to hijack the thread, but I also fully expect a small rebuild at the expense of a star player. Look for those mid-round picks to be replenished by trading away an LOB member. Two weeks ago I would have said Kam, but the way Earl has been talking, I wouldn't be surprised if it was him. And we could reap a harvest of picks for the guy (though I'd still rather keep him and let Kam go instead).

So: no, I don't think those were bad trades. I think they were part of an ongoing process of rolling the team over. I don't expect we'll even still be talking about the moves in March.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I don't think some here can even remotely follow a train of thought.

So:

Kearse and Richardson is basically a wash. It's stated that Kearse was overpaid, but somehow are wanting to retain Richardson, which will likely take more money than Kearse, especially since Kearse had better offers elsewhere and you also have contract inflation.

Good luck with that in rainbow unicorn land.

Both the Richardsons will likely be gone and we won't miss them.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
vin.couve12":yrmz8ca1 said:
I don't think some here can even remotely follow a train of thought.

So:

Kearse and Richardson is basically a wash. It's stated that Kearse was overpaid, but somehow are wanting to retain Richardson, which will likely take more money than Kearse, especially since Kearse had better offers elsewhere and you also have contract inflation.

Good luck with that in rainbow unicorn land.

Both the Richardsons will likely be gone and we won't miss them.

I completely disagree that Kearse and Prich are a wash.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Ok.

Statistically they're basically a wash with Kearse being the better overall player (blocker), which shows up in our run game while also making some of the biggest catches in team history.

Richardson could potentially be the better pure WR if he could run a route without getting his skinny ass shoved to the sideline so he doesn't need to make overdramatic catches, but he hasn't put it on paper.

Obviously he thinks highly of himself because he just asked for 7 mil per. Sometimes I hate being right, but we won't miss him just like we haven't missed Kearse.

Darboh and Moore show aptitude while also having higher ceilings in evey category than Richardson and Kearse. People need to stfu about Richardson....whole lotta bout nada. 7 mil per? Is that some kind of a joke? Good riddance.