$20 million plus for Clowney

Seymour

Reaction score
I say we shop for high value guys and get back to a rotation.

Cliff Avril as 1 example of winning.

10 years, average salary $4.8M per season and average sacks of 7.4 per season (Clowney 5.5 @21M?) and strong against the run and was a game changer as well (ask Peyton). You roll the dice on high paid, often injured players and you can kill a season before it gets started.

hugecanoli

Reaction score
Seeking a "Market Setting" contract.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/1229103149039996929[/tweet]

Seymour

Reaction score
Typical. Ya, I want a winning lottery ticket at half price please.

No thanks. 1 market setting contract is enough thanks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":kt97xq8t said:

10 years, average salary $4.8M per season and average sacks of 7.4 per season (Clowney 5.5 @21M?) and strong against the run and was a game changer as well (ask Peyton). You roll the dice on high paid, often injured players and you can kill a season before it gets started.

I honestly don't see too many value edge rushers in this year's free agent class.

Once Clowney and Fowler set the market, then it's pretty much a bunch of good but not great DE's that have holes in their game, or are old...........who will ALSO be overpaid by someone.

Which is the problem with addressing major needs in FA, hard not to overpay.

Here's the list, not too many names get me excited.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2020DE.php

massari

Reaction score
Seymour":mpnj25d8 said:
You mean like JJ Watt?

Even with Watt he has NEVER even hit double digit sacks in 6 seasons and has averaged 5.5 sacks so scratch that argument. :177692:
Clowney himself has always stated that he's a better fit for a 4-3, it's just that he was so dominant playing a 4-3 in college that the Texans couldn't refuse.

xray":mpnj25d8 said:
Most likely they will let him walk just like they did with Clark
They likely only let Clark go because they got a 1st and 2nd rd pick in return. Clowney would get them nothing since they'll have to sign some free agents which will cancel the comp pick.

It's been said so many times, with the cap continuing to rise $10M or so a season, what Clowney signs for today won't be looked at in the same light very soon. Look at all the less talented QB's making close to Wilson now. Dak Prescott is rumored to have turned down $33M a year.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2hux37qr said:
I want him back but not at a "market setting" cost. I could live with 22 or 23.

That is the market right now, 22-23M. That's Donald/Mack territory, next down is Lawrence and Clark at 20-21M.

So what's another 1M when the cap is going up 10M anyway. Give him 23-24M and be done with it, no reason to quibble over 1-2M, especially on a team that's going to have 50M cap this year, and even more next year.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
As fans we will justify it either way. If he signs, it will be great that we have retained him no matter what the cost. If he leaves we will justify it by applauding the potential comp pick. If he resigns at a high price, there will be fans who will denigrate the signing. If he is resigned, the success or lack thereof in such a signing will be determined greatly by who else is signed via FA and their impact in correlation in play alongside Clowney. FWIW, I am all for resigning him as his presence alone means the offense must account for him on every play by double teaming him, which frees up others to make plays.

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2omv0pn1 said:
Seymour":2omv0pn1 said:

I honestly don't see too many value edge rushers in this year's free agent class.

Once Clowney and Fowler set the market, then it's pretty much a bunch of good but not great DE's that have holes in their game, or are old...........who will ALSO be overpaid by someone.

You can probably sign Shaq Lawson, Vic Beasley and Quinton Jefferson for the same money your going to pay Clowney. Have no idea if it would make us better but we have a lot of holes to fill on the DL.

flmmkrz

Reaction score
getnasty":350l9raf said:
Sgt. Largent":350l9raf said:
Seymour":350l9raf said:

You can probably sign Shaq Lawson, Vic Beasley and Quinton Jefferson for the same money your going to pay Clowney. Have no idea if it would make us better but we have a lot of holes to fill on the DL.
:pukeface: the 3 of them don't make up for what Clowney does on the field and it's not close.

Kinger95

Reaction score
The 1st day of FA is almost best to avoid . Look at all the stupid money teams throw at players. The only way he comes back is if he honestly is only wanting to play for a contender, that give us a shot but in reality the colts and dolphins can offer him the moon

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I see at least 5 DE’s who would be great additions that would cost significantly less than Clowney.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 10.13.10 PM.png
    Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 10.13.10 PM.png
    721.9 KB · Views: 1,599

QuahHawk

Reaction score
The older cheaper options
1. Quinn
2. Griffin
3. Beasley
4. Curry
5. Wolfe

Or the younger probably more expensive

1. Leonard Williams
2. Arik Armstead
3. Yannick Ngakoue
4. Shaq Lawson

I am not sure Clowney is the top DL on the market. He may honk he is the #1 but Chris Jones is more impactful.

Give me any 3 on his list and I won’t complain if we don’t resign Clowney.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Appyhawk":23o83krp said:
Clowney has said repeatedly he wants to contend for a ring. Colts and/or Dolphins in a position to offer him that with their slice of the moon?

Colts are close. Miami is not.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I am not sure Arik Armstead is as good as Clowney but the fact it would hurt SF would make me feel better about spending $20mil. We are not gaining on SF by resigning Clowney and them keeping Armstead.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Well it’s the going rate for DE’s so either pay it or opt for the cheap hopefuls and be back in the same position in a year.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
A “ market contract “ sounds fair enough on the surface anyway. Last season he rated tied as the 7th best pass rushing DE/OLB. What would the seventh best DE contract look like?