3. Beasley
4. Curry
5. Wolfe

Or the younger probably more expensive

1. Leonard Williams
2. Arik Armstead
3. Yannick Ngakoue
4. Shaq Lawson

I am not sure Clowney is the top DL on the market. He may honk he is the #1 but Chris Jones is more impactful.

Give me any 3 on his list and I won’t complain if we don’t resign Clowney.

There are a couple players that may be available through a trade. Von Miller and Calais Campbell......Both are older but still productive players.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":2kojssc0 said:
Sgt. Largent":2kojssc0 said:
Seymour":2kojssc0 said:
I say we shop for high value guys and get back to a rotation.

Cliff Avril as 1 example of winning.

10 years, average salary $4.8M per season and average sacks of 7.4 per season (Clowney 5.5 @21M?) and strong against the run and was a game changer as well (ask Peyton). You roll the dice on high paid, often injured players and you can kill a season before it gets started.

I honestly don't see too many value edge rushers in this year's free agent class.

Once Clowney and Fowler set the market, then it's pretty much a bunch of good but not great DE's that have holes in their game, or are old...........who will ALSO be overpaid by someone.

Which is the problem with addressing major needs in FA, hard not to overpay.

Here's the list, not too many names get me excited.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2020DE.php

You can probably sign Shaq Lawson, Vic Beasley and Quinton Jefferson for the same money your going to pay Clowney. Have no idea if it would make us better but we have a lot of holes to fill on the DL.

Three average players do not equal one great player.

I get that we also need depth and rotation guys, but that doesn't solve the problem that without Clowney this D-line is one of the worst 2-3 lines in the entire league. It desperately needs playmakers........and since Pete and John have batted like .100 on getting DE playmakers through the draft, we are left with no options other then to overpay for a guy like Clowney.

So hold your nose and overpay, with Clowney, Fowler, idk. But you better sign one of these top 3-4 guys or we're screwed.

Largent80

Reaction score
The Hawks need 2, TWO De's at this point. Green and Collier are unknowns and Jefferson and Reed at DT are FA as well.

Money will need to be spent PERIOD. Get over the money aspect. We aren't GM's but we have maybe the best in the business doing it. I'm positive with the plan they come up with.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Yep, it's not my money. Do your thing John and Pete :irishdrinkers:
They pretty much can't win with the Clowney thing. If they sign him to a big deal, a bunch of people will say "That's way too much money for him, stupid move."
If they let him go, "That was stupid to let him go"

Largent80

Reaction score
In the salary cap era, you do the best you can. We needed a lot of cap and picks this year (mostly for a trade) and we have that. So we're fortunate. Where we are not fortunate is the sheer number of team FA we have.

Reaction score
Largent80":3lce0r8e said:
The Hawks need 2, TWO De's at this point. Green and Collier are unknowns and Jefferson and Reed at DT are FA as well.

Money will need to be spent PERIOD. Get over the money aspect. We aren't GM's but we have maybe the best in the business doing it. I'm positive with the plan they come up with.
I really like Jefferson. I hope they somehow retain him. Reed didn’t look nearly as effective this year. Makes me wonder if Clark has that much of a impact on Reed playing well.

Largent80

Reaction score
Even for a veteran. missing 6 weeks is almost 2 months. It definitely affected him but if his scoffing at a below 10 mill contract means anything, then goodbye.

In the end he didn't have nearly the effect he should have in a contract year and he wants the moon. Was he a Clark beneficiary???...who knows but he's probably priced himself off the team regardless....DT's are available in FA and via trade, so Bye Reed.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
I'll bet the Bills make a play for Clowney . They have $82 million cap to play with and they had a top 10 defense last season . They went 10-6 and are considered to be an AFC contender coming up soon . Wouldn't be a surprise to see Clowney go back to the AFC with the Bills and get his $24 million. The Hawks will never give him that money ; and realistically are not much closer to a SB appearance than the Bills are at this point . IMO

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2bboz94u said:
getnasty":2bboz94u said:
Sgt. Largent":2bboz94u said:
Seymour":2bboz94u said:
I say we shop for high value guys and get back to a rotation.

Cliff Avril as 1 example of winning.

10 years, average salary $4.8M per season and average sacks of 7.4 per season (Clowney 5.5 @21M?) and strong against the run and was a game changer as well (ask Peyton). You roll the dice on high paid, often injured players and you can kill a season before it gets started.

I honestly don't see too many value edge rushers in this year's free agent class.

Once Clowney and Fowler set the market, then it's pretty much a bunch of good but not great DE's that have holes in their game, or are old...........who will ALSO be overpaid by someone.

Which is the problem with addressing major needs in FA, hard not to overpay.

Here's the list, not too many names get me excited.

https://walterfootball.com/freeagents2020DE.php

You can probably sign Shaq Lawson, Vic Beasley and Quinton Jefferson for the same money your going to pay Clowney. Have no idea if it would make us better but we have a lot of holes to fill on the DL.

Three average players do not equal one great player.

I get that we also need depth and rotation guys, but that doesn't solve the problem that without Clowney this D-line is one of the worst 2-3 lines in the entire league. It desperately needs playmakers........and since Pete and John have batted like .100 on getting DE playmakers through the draft, we are left with no options other then to overpay for a guy like Clowney.

So hold your nose and overpay, with Clowney, Fowler, idk. But you better sign one of these top 3-4 guys or we're screwed.

Yeah i don't necessarily disagree i'm just laying out the scenerios if we do or don't land Clowney. In my opinion if we don't pay Clowney there not paying anyone big money but i could see them going younger and cheaper with upside. If we sign Clowney i think your hoping Greene, Collier, are taking the next step and maybe signing a cheap veteran.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm starting to lean towards him not coming back. If he lets his agent get in his head and wants 23 or 24 mil a year, just not sure the Hawks would do that. Losing a guy like that would be huge imo.

Largent80

Reaction score
xray":35rd9upl said:
I'll bet the Bills make a play for Clowney . They have $82 million cap to play with and they had a top 10 defense last season . They went 10-6 and are considered to be an AFC contender coming up soon . Wouldn't be a surprise to see Clowney go back to the AFC with the Bills and get his $24 million. The Hawks will never give him that money ; and realistically are not much closer to a SB appearance than the Bills are at this point . IMO

The Bills were also after Olson and where did he sign?

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I want Clowney signed big time. I just am starting to think it won't happen. Looking forward to being wrong. This team needs him.

Largent80

Reaction score
Do you think Clowney would sign with the Bills?....hahaha.

He knows this team is on the edge of the SB. He will sign right here.

Remember the RW speculation?......He stayed home.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
xray":2zmk6sv8 said:

Wouldn't surprise me if you're right about Buffalo making a play for Clowney. But, even with CLowney I don't see Buffalo on the verge of beating KC. OF course I have no idea what OTHER MOVES they might make this year. But I don't see them bidding for a Wilson or Mahomes. Without something like that I think they're also rans at best. Clowney isn't stupid, and he wants to win it while he's in it.
I've got my hopes up for him staying put. All that money won't get you the ring. But getting that ring can get you all that money...

sutz

Reaction score
Largent80":2c8o97wp said:
Do you think Clowney would sign with the Bills?....hahaha.

He knows this team is on the edge of the SB. He will sign right here.

Remember the RW speculation?......He stayed home.
Apples and oranges. RW had roots here, Clowney is a one-year rental, or could be.

Vaclav44

Reaction score
oldhawkfan":35g9kic3 said:
As fans we will justify it either way. If he signs, it will be great that we have retained him no matter what the cost. If he leaves we will justify it by applauding the potential comp pick. If he resigns at a high price, there will be fans who will denigrate the signing. If he is resigned, the success or lack thereof in such a signing will be determined greatly by who else is signed via FA and their impact in correlation in play alongside Clowney. FWIW, I am all for resigning him as his presence alone means the offense must account for him on every play by double teaming him, which frees up others to make plays.

A very reasonable summary of where I am on this.

Go Hawks!

Latest posts