$20 million plus for Clowney

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
Where will Clowney sign next year ? What\s your honest guess ?

Elemas

Reaction score
xray":2pk2q049 said:
Where will Clowney sign next year ? What\s your honest guess ?

Bills.

Seattle lets him walk...picks up cheaper FAs who fair just as well, grabs some developmental draft picks.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Wenhawk":4a3gcpyk said:
The older cheaper options
1. Quinn
2. Griffin
3. Beasley
4. Curry
5. Wolfe

Or the younger probably more expensive

1. Leonard Williams
2. Arik Armstead
3. Yannick Ngakoue
4. Shaq Lawson

I am not sure Clowney is the top DL on the market. He may honk he is the #1 but Chris Jones is more impactful.

Give me any 3 on his list and I won’t complain if we don’t resign Clowney.

In addition to what the others have said, there's no guarantee that those older options would thrive here, in this system and on this team. Clowney has proven himself prosperous here. So in that sense, he's more of a known quantity.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Wenhawk":3uhs71ci said:

Really with their QB? Doubtful IMO.

Not sure he will re-sign here but believe he will get about $21 mil/yr or thereabouts. Similar deal to that given Clark. The real story will be if he just wants $, or would rather play for team that can contend in the playoffs. If it's just $ he'll sign with whoever offers the biggest deal with the most guaranteed $.

For $21 mil/apy I'd keep him here. Structure of contract is everything though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
jammerhawk":1eq7vos5 said:
Wenhawk":1eq7vos5 said:

Really with their QB? Doubtful IMO.

Not sure he will re-sign here but believe he will get about $21 mil/yr or thereabouts. Similar deal to that given Clark. The real story will be if he just wants $, or would rather play for team that can contend in the playoffs. If it's just $ he'll sign with whoever offers the biggest deal with the most guaranteed $.

For $21 mil/apy I'd keep him here. Structure of contract is everything though.

Two things we know;

1. Clowney wants to "set the market," those are his words. So does he mean Lawrence 21M+ money, or does he mean Mack 24M+ money?

2. He wants to play for a contender.

So if one of the 2-3 teams that have more cap space then us that are also playoff caliber teams offers Clowney Khalil Mack money? Then we lose Clowney.

But if he's cool with 21-22M? Then I think we have a really good shot at keeping him. Because he loves it here, he loves the team, the culture and his teammates.

So we'll see, but if he's hell bent on Mack money AND one of the teams with more cap than us want him? Then he's gone.

sutz

Reaction score
Presumably, JS is briefing Clowney's agent on what other moves the team is planning to make this offseason to provide him some help on D. That might be a motivator for him to take a mill or so less. But like is being said, if Clowney is dead set on "setting the market" he probably will do that elsewhere. It would take some really creative accounting to make it look like he's setting the market while making it affordable under our cap.

Largent80

Reaction score
Money is really not the deal. Contracts can be structured to spread the cash out. They can part ways going forward after signing up the road. I really don't understand some fans views on money.....It's irrelevant.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Largent80":2qpvq39y said:
Money is really not the deal. Contracts can be structured to spread the cash out. They can part ways going forward after signing up the road. I really don't understand some fans views on money.....It's irrelevant.

Of course it's relevant, money's the main reason we usually don't go after big name high priced free agents.

Now Clowney's different because he's played here and Pete and John know he fits in scheme, production and locker room wise. But make no mistake if we don't sign Clowney it's because someone gave him 24M a year with over 90M guaranteed type money.

Money is why we didn't re-sign Frank, too much.........and it's why we didn't re-sign Clowney if he goes elsewhere.

Largent80

Reaction score
Once again, money is going to be paid out regardless of who gets it. It simply doesn't matter who gets it. It will all be spent somewhere. If a team wants to give a guy that had microfracture surgery on his knee 90 million guaranteed, go for it.

That isn't going to happen with Clowney.

Kinger95

Reaction score
I’m curious to know what teams are gonna throw serious offers at clowney. All the contenders are strapped for cash, tons of teams have free agents of their own to pay that will eat up most their cap. The dolphins are somewhere clowney refused to go so I see that as unlikely and colts fans are not keen on backing up the brinks truck for him either when they’d rather have Chris jones from KC and have a larger hole at DT.

Honestly The money gets nuts on the first day of free agency and there will still be lots of cuts to free up more money but I don’t see a team that’s gonna give him that “record” deal

hawks85

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":228er8fh said:
I want Clowney signed big time. I just am starting to think it won't happen. Looking forward to being wrong. This team needs him.
Yeah me to. Clowney is a once in a generation type of player. The thing is how many teams are contenders year in and year out. Not the bills thats for sure. Hawks are in every year. New England. KC two years in a row now. Ravens are good. Some teams are starting to turn the corner. So the question is does Clowney really want to play for a contender because in reality not many teams are contenders every year or does Clowney want to be the highest paid player at his position. As of right now I'm thinking he wants to b the highest paid player.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Cyrus12":2tc0lb27 said:
Read a report that Ngakoue is seeking 22 mill apy. Is Clowney worth more than that number?

No.

Ngakoue has more sacks than Clowney in four years then Clowney's had in six years...........and he's three years younger and healthier.

So let's hope Ngakoue sets the market at 22M, cause that means Clowney should be happy with around that number, maybe even a little less.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I'm willing to place a friendly wager for anyone who attends games regularly... I go to most usually 6-7 per season to include preseason.

So here's my bet. I think we resign Clowney, for the first two people that take me up on this I am willing to buy you and a friend a beer or shot (or two for you) at Temple's before a game next year if we don't keep him. If he leaves you have to buy me a drink and snap a photo of us partaking together for bragging rights. Any takers?

jmahon316

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2i6r7y4x said:
I'm willing to place a friendly wager for anyone who attends games regularly... I go to most usually 6-7 per season to include preseason.

So here's my bet. I think we resign Clowney, for the first two people that take me up on this I am willing to buy you and a friend a beer or shot (or two for you) at Temple's before a game next year if we don't keep him. If he leaves you have to buy me a drink and snap a photo of us partaking together for bragging rights. Any takers?

I'm game. When they first traded for him I was all for it, but the more I think about it, I'm thinking he might be out of our price range.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
jmahon316":2xlh6cb9 said:
Wenhawk":2xlh6cb9 said:

I'm game. When they first traded for him I was all for it, but the more I think about it, I'm thinking he might be out of our price range.

Got you down! Good luck

getnasty

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":fpjyl5s9 said:
Cyrus12":fpjyl5s9 said:
Read a report that Ngakoue is seeking 22 mill apy. Is Clowney worth more than that number?

No.

Ngakoue has more sacks than Clowney in four years then Clowney's had in six years...........and he's three years younger and healthier.

So let's hope Ngakoue sets the market at 22M, cause that means Clowney should be happy with around that number, maybe even a little less.

Clowney will get more then Ngakoue or at least similar and both will be over 20. If you wanted more sacks, younger and healthier they should have re-signed Frank Clark.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
getnasty":3uoff54m said:
Sgt. Largent":3uoff54m said:
Cyrus12":3uoff54m said:

No.

Clowney will get more then Ngakoue or at least similar and both will be over 20. If you wanted more sacks, younger and healthier they should have re-signed Frank Clark.

I'm not putting a premium as much on sacks with Ngakoue, as I am health and age.

I defend Clowney when the not enough sacks conversation comes up, he's a far more complete player that's disruptive in both run and passing game.

I also get why Pete and John were uncomfortable paying Clark 20M+, when he's a very good pass rusher, but mediocre against the run. That's a LOT to pay for a 50% down edge rusher when you have other holes all over your line.

KC already had a good line, they needed that pass rusher.

Bottom line on Clowney, I'm fine with going to 21-22M, but if it's Khalil Mack 25M+ type money per year? I'm out.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
Schneider reiterated during his interview at the combine that we really want Clowney back, and his belief that Clowney wants the same thing.
https://www.seahawks.com/news/john-schneider-talks-jadeveon-clowney-other-seahawks-free-agents-at-nfl-scouting
He also has high hopes Dissley will be ready to start the season. I take that to be a good sign we're in good shape TE wise. Olsen will be wearing #88 thans to him making a donation to Diss' choice of charity. Pretty cool.