2014 Cap now projected to bust 132 Mill.

BHF

Reaction score
Can't hurt. But the agents and players are fully aware of this as well. Everybody wants a cut of the pie.

McGruff

Reaction score
the only way this helps us is if we can reach agreements before players hit the market. after that everyone is working wih the same limits.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Helps all the teams actually. But ya, helps us to maybe keep the guys we already have.

brendonkuhn

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":12fhogug said:
I don't see how we don't bring back Tate, Bennett now.

I do! Re-sihn Sherm and Earl in the same offseason. I believe Bennett returns, Golden moves on unless he will take under 5 mil

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
brendonkuhn":afqgdaqw said:
EverydayImRusselin":afqgdaqw said:

I do! Re-sihn Sherm and Earl in the same offseason. I believe Bennett returns, Golden moves on unless he will take under 5 mil

When everyone said the cap was $126m we were believed to be able to fit Bennett under the cap. Now that it's $6M higher, that ill cover whatever Tate wants. I'm betting on both of them coming back now.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Isn't it just as likely that the new cap level simply allows a team to splurge in the first year of the increase on a player like Bennett? Throw a HUGE signing bonus at him and pay him $6M-7M for every year thereafter?

Wish I had a better understanding of these things. Drives me nuts not knowing what to expect.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
E.C. Laloosh":8anwqink said:
Isn't it just as likely that the new cap level simply allows a team to splurge in the first year of the increase on a player like Bennett? Throw a HUGE signing bonus at him and pay him $6M-7M for every year thereafter?

Wish I had a better understanding of these things. Drives me nuts not knowing what to expect.

Yes, the team can do whatever they want. If say they were budgeted for $8m/yr for Bennett and turns out the cap is $6m higher, they can make yr 1 worth $14m so that the remaining years are only $5m or $6m or whatever they would have been.

pocketprotector

Reaction score
This will increase the contracts players receive by an average of about 7%. However, this increases the Seahawks salary cap room for 2014 by more than 7%, so it is a net win in the short term.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
McGruff":1c7au50g said:
the only way this helps us is if we can reach agreements before players hit the market. after that everyone is working wih the same limits.

Players ultimately will want to stay in Seattle first and foremost...it's the premier franchise in the NFL for a slew of reasons. We have more money to make that happen.

Teams may offer a little more elsewhere, but will players want to leave this incredible environment to play in Oakland, Cleveland, etc...??

Seahawker86

Reaction score
Just lock them all up. This team will love to get paid and to have a prove it season. A prove it in the way that we weren't just a one hit wonder. That we really are the best defense of all time.

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
John Schneider was asked earlier this week about the cap being increased from x amount to whatever it was projected to be at the time.

He got the BIGGEST grin on his face when he heard the number the interviewers spit.

Now, I'm positive this new figure is much higher than what was stated in the interview (that grin must be his entire face at this point)...I think he had a plan to sign anyone he seemed fit, and now it looks like he'll have a lot more wiggle room to work with in terms of Wilson/Sherm (since cap space rolls over).

Hawks46

Reaction score
Schneider is grinning because we don't HAVE to use the entire amount.

If we can sign Tate to a value contract, frontload Bennett and maybe Thomas, cut Bryant, Rice and Clemons, we'll still be able to roll some cap money over and most likely extend Thomas and Sherman and work out a deal with Wilson.

Seriously, being able to keep Bennett, Tate, Thomas, Sherman and Wilson would keep a core of guys together that would keep us winning for a long long time.

SF has to be really happy too. They have a strong core of guys as well and they were going to have to figure out how to pay Bowman, among others.

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":3ryinwom said:

Though the raise is equal, it helps teams closer to their cap limit than those who already had $60 million. The cap raise might boost Seattle's overall cap space by 40%, but it's not likely to raise prices by 40%.

Seattle can also use the unspent money for next season when Wilson will get his next contract.

EverydayImRusselin":3ryinwom said:

Just the opposite. The raise is a big deal for Seattle. It is a drop in the bucket for many other teams.

I'm interested to see how Bennett does, but I think Tate will probably struggle to find a market as this is an epic draft class for WR coming up.

RiverDog

Reaction score
BHF":2xbshbn2 said:
Can't hurt. But the agents and players are fully aware of this as well. Everybody wants a cut of the pie.

Exactly. This might help us in the short run to re-sign a couple of second tier players we might have had to part with in order to bring back the really important pieces, players like Breuno and McQ, guys that wouldn't have been hard to replace anyway, but it isn't a critical component of the budget equation that's going to result in our being able to re-sign Earl or Sherman.

Additionally, a $3-4M expansion of the cap has been widely expected for months. The final number was driven up by the CBS/TNF deal announced a couple of weeks ago, of which GM's like John Schneider had to have been well aware of, and thus had already penciled in a number from which to work with that was relatively close to the $132M.

No big news. It's like thinking you're going to get ahead because they increased the minimum wage without considering the effect it's going to have on inflation.

Latest posts