2015 - 2016 Zags Thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Wow! Zags game vs Pitt was cancelled at halftime due to the floor being too slick. Sucks because I had a nice little bet on Pitt +6 which looked good.

It's pretty clear that Zags won't nearly be as good as last year. You can't underestimate losing your starting backcourt.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
"It's pretty clear that Zags won't nearly be as good as last year"

I think basing that on one half of basketball played on a floor so slick they called the game is a bit premature. No doubt there will be growing pains but I suspect we will be seeing a really good team by the time the tourney comes around.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Natethegreat":2ggigcf0 said:
"It's pretty clear that Zags won't nearly be as good as last year"

I think basing that on one half of basketball played on a floor so slick they called the game is a bit premature. No doubt there will be growing pains but I suspect we will be seeing a really good team by the time the tourney comes around.

You're right, I obviously jumped to conclusions too soon. I just disagree with Zag fans who have said that this team could be better than last years team. Losing a backcourt like Bell and Pangos is hard to replace.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Sucks to have a game like that cancelled, but the right decision. If either team had taken a loss that day, it would have been with a big fat asterisk.

The young guards I think are going to be just fine. The problem the Zags have I think is they will basically have a 7 man rotation vs. top talent.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I got to go to the game last night vs, N. Arizona. The guard play definitely is not great right now. Perkins made some plays but turned the ball over too much.

Sabonis just dominated, especially in the second half.

Silas Melson is a disappointment so far. He needs to be a spark off the bench for this team to really be great. We'll learn a lot next week in the Bahamas.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":3jtiexvc said:
I got to go to the game last night vs, N. Arizona. The guard play definitely is not great right now. Perkins made some plays but turned the ball over too much.

Sabonis just dominated, especially in the second half.

Silas Melson is a disappointment so far. He needs to be a spark off the bench for this team to really be great. We'll learn a lot next week in the Bahamas.
Thanks for the update.

Tical21

Reaction score
Still trying to figure out why we have a thread in a Seahawks forum dedicated to a anti-Washington program.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Tical21":1pvly3o6 said:
Still trying to figure out why we have a thread in a Seahawks forum dedicated to a anti-Washington program.

How is a team located in Washington an, "anti-Washington program?"

Tical21

Reaction score
CurryStopstheRuns":3rs8zcdh said:
Tical21":3rs8zcdh said:

When's the last time they had a kid on their team actually from the state of WA? If you're a really good player from Washington and you want to go to Gonzaga, you can't. They're not interested. They're happy to take a bunch of money from boosters in this area and invest it all in kids from Germany or Canada though. Morrison was like a decade ago, wasn't he?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Tical21":23n5d4k5 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":23n5d4k5 said:
Tical21":23n5d4k5 said:

When's the last time they had a kid on their team actually from the state of WA? If you're a really good player from Washington and you want to go to Gonzaga, you can't. They're not interested. They're happy to take a bunch of money from boosters in this area and invest it all in kids from Germany or Canada though. Morrison was like a decade ago, wasn't he?

They don't get many in-state kids, Gary Bell is really the only WA state kid I can think of who has played for the Zags recently. The Zags were likeable like 15 years ago when they were an actual "cinderella" team. Aside from last year, they are the team you can safely predict to get upset in your bracket.

Zags won't win shit as long as they play in that tiny conference. Could you imagine the Seahawks playing the 49ers and Jaguars for 3 months straight and then having to go play the Packers in the playoffs? And all their players end up being huge busts in the NBA: Morrison, Dickau. Turiaf, Olynyk, Austin Daye, etc.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Tical21":bjqew0r7 said:
CurryStopstheRuns":bjqew0r7 said:
Tical21":bjqew0r7 said:

If they are not good enough to be on the team then it doesn't matter where they are from. And to answer your question about the last Washington raised player to go there....David Stockton, last year.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Tical21":3cht605k said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3cht605k said:
Tical21":3cht605k said:

And to heap more embarrassment on you, there is a kid from Longview Washington on the roster this season. There are also two from Portland, Oregon which is a strong winds spitting distance from Washington. If you are from the area, and good, then you will make the team.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Tical21":3mdyfjin said:
CurryStopstheRuns":3mdyfjin said:
Tical21":3mdyfjin said:

So, the final tally after looking at the roster has five players from the PNW and three foreign born players. Three, if you want to consider Vancouver BC as out of the area. Otherwise, it is six and two.

Tical21

Reaction score
Oh, that's awesome, looking at their roster, they do have a token Washington kid! You can't even imagine the amount of pride running through my blood right now.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Tical21":2svxt6hv said:
Oh, that's awesome, looking at their roster, they do have a token Washington kid! You can't even imagine the amount of pride running through my blood right now.

Didn't think that you would respond Popeye.

Tical21

Reaction score
Respond to what? The kid they recruited from Portland and the one from BC? Dude, they're not from Washington. Go root for the Ducks.

They're a private school so they can do whatever they want. At least they aren't taking Washington tax dollars to fund this crap. But for people to jump on their bandwagon because they "like to root for Washington schools" just cracks me up. They're no more a Washington school than USC is. They recruit the same amount of Washington kids. If you ever get the chance to chat with Eldridge Recasner or Jamal Crawford, ask them about Gonzaga.

RunTheBall

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":gkn2ngod said:
as good as last year's elite 8 team, maybe even better.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: They won't even get past the first weekend of the tourney, and the only reason they make it every year is because they play in that Div. 3 conference. Wake me up when they get to a Final Four... just once.