2015 - 2016 Zags Thread

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":agxh1e7v said:
hawksfansinceday1":agxh1e7v said:
Hawk-Lock":agxh1e7v said:
The Zags failed big time in their non-conference schedule. I don't see them cracking the top 25 unless they can somehow pull an upset against SMU in February. Road wins against against St Mary's and BYU could help them, but I'm not sure those are even considered "quality" wins.

Zags played 4 tough non-conference games, and went 1-3. Pretty much shows where they would be at if they played in a power conference.

On a good note, if Karnowski is allowed to red shirt this year and Sabonis chooses to come back, then they could be good next year with the addition of Nigel Williams Goss.
What do you think the chances of Sabomis coming back are? IMO, they're slim.

I would guess less than a 50% chance that he returns.
Ditto, unfortunately.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
At this rate, Zags may have to win their conference tournament if they want to make the NCAA Tournament. BYU just beat them for the second year in a row in The Kennel.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Agreed. It is shocking how completely lacking in depth this team has. They're on a 8 man rotation with only about 4 players the really trust.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
When Sabonis gets in foul trouble, which is frankly too often, this team struggles because Wiltjer is all they've got. He was in foul trouble all night last night and they lost.

Been a while since the Zags were this average, or maybe slightly above.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
This year Sabonis has managed his fouls much better. Thursday was an exception.

Tical21

Reaction score
This is a bottom third of the Pac-12 team.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Tical21":1tg6f53f said:

Zags beat UW pretty handily, and UW currently lead the Pac-12.

They're having a down year but a Gonzaga down year still would put them in the top half of the Pac-12.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":1zigcla7 said:
Tical21":1zigcla7 said:

They're having a down year but a Gonzaga down year still would put them in the top half of the Pac-12.
Don't forget they played Arizona down to the wire albeit at home and they're really the best team in the Pac.
Wet siders just won't admit it though 'storian, but yeah you're right. Can't have anything better on the east side you know.

I'll say it again, if the success Gonzaga has enjoyed and worked for over the last 20+ years was instead the other Jesuit school in the state, Seattle U., all you wet siders would be all over how awesome they are. But since a Spokane school you won't give 'em squat for credit. How provincial.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
'wet siders"

Haha, haven't heard that one before. I'm definitely going to use that often!

Tical21

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":110rh4b9 said:
Hawkstorian":110rh4b9 said:
Tical21":110rh4b9 said:

I'll say it again, if the success Gonzaga has enjoyed and worked for over the last 20+ years was instead the other Jesuit school in the state, Seattle U., all you wet siders would be all over how awesome they are. But since a Spokane school you won't give 'em squat for credit. How provincial.
That's laughable. I lived on the east side for several years, and any disrespect towards their program is a direct result of the way they and their fans carry themselves. I would not feel any differently if it was Seattle U that was playing a JV schedule to get themselves into the tournament every year only to annually disappoint. I'd be asking the same question: when are you going to play in a big-boy conference? They get up for three games a year, play well in those games, and then crap on themselves in the tournament. Rinse, repeat. I'd love to see what happens when they have to bring it twice a week in-conference. It'll never happen. They love the proud feeling beating up on nobodies to win 25 a year too much.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Tical21":3ht8davw said:
hawksfansinceday1":3ht8davw said:
Hawkstorian":3ht8davw said:
Tical21":3ht8davw said:

That's laughable. I lived on the east side for several years, and any disrespect towards their program is a direct result of the way they and their fans carry themselves. I would not feel any differently if it was Seattle U that was playing a JV schedule to get themselves into the tournament every year only to annually disappoint. I'd be asking the same question: when are you going to play in a big-boy conference? They get up for three games a year, play well in those games, and then crap on themselves in the tournament. Rinse, repeat. I'd love to see what happens when they have to bring it twice a week in-conference. It'll never happen. They love the proud feeling beating up on nobodies to win 25 a year too much.
2 Elite Eights and (off the top of my head) 3 or 4 Sweet 16s in a 20 year period isn't crappimg the bed.

As for their conference, where are they supposed to play since they don't have football?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Right now Lundardi has the Zags in the dance as a #9 seed. I will say this though, there is very little room for them to get a better seed. Beating the Santa Clara's and Portland's of the world aren't exactly resume builders. They can still get quality wins against BYU and St Mary's. If they can beat SMU that would be huge, but I doubt that will happen.

Lunardi also has 8 Pac-12 teams in the dance, yet the leaders of the Pac12, the Huskies are not included :x

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2fw9zv2x said:
Right now Lundardi has the Zags in the dance as a #9 seed. I will say this though, there is very little room for them to get a better seed. Beating the Santa Clara's and Portland's of the world aren't exactly resume builders. They can still get quality wins against BYU and St Mary's. If they can beat SMU that would be huge, but I doubt that will happen.

Lunardi also has 8 Pac-12 teams in the dance, yet the leaders of the Pac12, the Huskies are not included :x
Zags seed will be lower IMO, like an eleven or twelve and that would be fair.
Hope Dawgs get in.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I think they have to win their conference tournament to get in now. They lost to St Mary's a couple days ago and are now in a tight game with Pacific.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1102a9st said:
I think they have to win their conference tournament to get in now. They lost to St Mary's a couple days ago.....
I agree, and I'm not so sure they can get that done, especially vs. St. Mary's.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
In their 17 straight appearances in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament prior to this season, the Gonzaga Bulldogs have accomplished the following:

14 of those 17 years they have advanced to at least the 2nd round

6 times they have made it to the Sweet Sixteen

2 times they have made the Elite Eight

THE premier men's basketball program in the Northwest and one of the premier programs on the west coast since 1999.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":7b3etlad said:
In their 17 straight appearances in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament prior to this season, the Gonzaga Bulldogs have accomplished the following:

THE premier men's basketball program in the Northwest and one of the premier programs on the west coast since 1999.

I can't really argue with that, even as a husky fan. Depending on the draw they could be one and done or make a run. Guard play has stepped it up as of late, that will need to continue. Should be interesting to see if St Mary's makes the dance. Probably not, but if they do I think they have the type of team that could make a sweet 16 run.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I keep seeing predictions with Gonzaga vs UO in the round of 32. I would love that matchup, even if it's in Spokane. The zags have hid for to long from UO.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
CPHawk":lioqjlto said:
I keep seeing predictions with Gonzaga vs UO in the round of 32. I would love that matchup, even if it's in Spokane. The zags have hid for to long from UO.
The Zags have hid(den) from UO for to(o) long? Really? They're willing to play teams like Memphis, Connecticut, Missouri, etc. when they were top 10 teams but not Oregon who just this season hit that level. Utterly laughable statement. They will play anyone, anywhere and have to because of the weakness (at times perceived, at times legit) of the conference they play in.

All that said, I watched the Ducks last night and I don't think Gonzaga beats them if they do meet up in the tournament.

Hawk-Lock":lioqjlto said:
hawksfansinceday1":lioqjlto said:

I can't really argue with that, even as a husky fan. Depending on the draw they could be one and done or make a run. Guard play has stepped it up as of late, that will need to continue. Should be interesting to see if St Mary's makes the dance. Probably not, but if they do I think they have the type of team that could make a sweet 16 run.
Agree with everything you said. Zags out in round 1 wouldn't surprise me. Zags in Sweet 16 wouldn't surprise me. But for that to happen they must continue to get that improved guard play.
St. Mary's should make the dance but like you I have a feeling they won't.

Latest posts