2017 Salary Cap Update (Cap Space: $18.78M)

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
OTC is sitting at $27.8M after getting practice squad and street free agent deals entered, for those who were comparing my calculation to theirs.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I think we should be able to make two very solid free agent signings (starters), along with some competition.

There are more than a couple of a) offensive guards, and b) SAM linebackers who can rush the passer that are currently slated to be UFAs. If we can grab one of each I'd be happy.

Everyone wants OTs but there just aren't many. A solid vet on the OL next to Britt would go a long way to solidifying our line. Glow can compete at RG and back up both spots.

We could use a playmaker at OLB who can help as an edge rusher should we have injuries there.

In the draft, I'd like to see an edge rusher and a DB with the first two picks - that's where the talent is. After bolster both lines and look for potential playmakers at WR and RB.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Useful site for some of the numbers. Can't say I've validated all of them, but I checked against another site and they seemed close. It also offers the ability to filter by Def or Off cap spend.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2017/

Def: 79,002,591......................rank: 5 (ranked ahead: Jets, Miami, Denver, KC)
Off: 60,939,223........................rank: 24 (Top 4 are Dallas, KC, LA, Pitt | Dallas at almost 121 million....wow)
Dead: 827,917........................rank: 20
Adjustments(?): 2,065,865....rank: 26
Total: 142,369,731..................rank: 16
Cap Space: 27,696,134........rank: 21 (Dallas almost 18 million over)

HawkGA

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2t6am9hm said:
OTC is sitting at $27.8M after getting practice squad and street free agent deals entered, for those who were comparing my calculation to theirs.

So what you are saying is that your initial estimate was wrong? :stirthepot:

:D

Hyak

Reaction score
Rumor is that the final cap number will come in at 170 M (Spotrac is using 168 M) so that's an extra $ 2 M for every team.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
lobohawk":2s8oub4f said:
Useful site for some of the numbers. Can't say I've validated all of them, but I checked against another site and they seemed close. It also offers the ability to filter by Def or Off cap spend.

Def: 79,002,591......................rank: 5 (ranked ahead: Jets, Miami, Denver, KC)
Off: 60,939,223........................rank: 24 (Top 4 are Dallas, KC, LA, Pitt | Dallas at almost 121 million....wow)
So does that mean Dallas has to shed $18 million by the start of the season?

lobohawk

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":gj9ir7zr said:
lobohawk":gj9ir7zr said:

So does that mean Dallas has to shed $18 million by the start of the season?

Here's Romo's impact, so answer may be in there.
$14,000,000 Base salary

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
I've been fine-tuning my spreadsheets and here's what I see right now.

Let's assume the leaguewide cap sits at $168M. That may go up a bit, but it's the best figure we have now.

After signing Blair Walsh, the Seahawks sit with just about exactly $27M in cap space. $2.3M or so goes to draft picks and we know they have to leave about $5M buffer at the end of camp, so that leaves 'usable' space at about $19.7M. With that they have to decide if they're going to tender any of the RFAs (Gilliam, etc.) which would bring the cap down.

I can seen room to go out and spend $10M or so on outside players, which isn't really a lot considering many teams will have far more than that to spend.

I'll try to do another update after free agency starts when we have more solid information. Feel free to shoot me questions and I'll do my best to answer. Keep in mind I suck at 'speculating' so if you ask me how much a certain player might cost the answer will be "I have no idea".

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for boiling it down for us Hawkstorian :)
It doesn't look like we'll be in the market for any $8 million/per tackles.

A-Dog

Reaction score
So you're estimating ~$10M first year cap hit to sign our RFAs?

That seems a little high based on the talent level of our RFAs... doesn't seem like we have anyone there who is essential. We also have 5 picks in the top 106 of a deep draft... I would think we could replace much of our RFA depth via those picks.

We could also potentially add cap space by extending guys like Graham and Chancellor, converting much of their 2017 salaries to bonuses.

I think we'll be able to add a couple of solid starters ($6M/yr) plus some depth in free agency.

A-Dog

Reaction score
Hawkstorian":2vv69hyx said:
A-Dog":2vv69hyx said:
So you're estimating ~$10M first year cap hit to sign our RFAs?

No.

Hawkstorian":2vv69hyx said:
... that leaves 'usable' space at about $19.7M. With that they have to decide if they're going to tender any of the RFAs (Gilliam, etc.) which would bring the cap down.

I can seen room to go out and spend $10M or so on outside players, which isn't really a lot considering many teams will have far more than that to spend.

So you go from $19.7M down to $10M... what else besides RFAs are you considering when making that determination? Our own UFAs and ERFAs?

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Re-signing players, signing RFAs .. signing low cost free agents... extending players .. any number of things can use up cap room very quickly.

I'm saying I can see $10M for signing significant outside players. Yes I didn't word it exactly that way so please accept my most humble apology.

I think instead of nit picking my math, you are bright enough to understand what I'm talking about.

HawkGA

Reaction score
When is the final cap number set? I would assume before free agency, right?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
In my opinion, they really only need a lineman or two, and a corner in fa. Should be enough money there to get decent players. The rest can be taken care of in the draft. Got some high potential guys coming off ir this year.

Latest posts