2017 Salary Cap Update (Cap Space: $18.78M)

drrew

Reaction score
A-Dog":3dgqn6y0 said:
We do have a couple of guys - Jeremy Lane and Jermaine Kearse - who aren't top performers and who have pretty sizeable contracts. If we do restructure with a low first year cap hit, it could be balanced by the fact that we could cut those two if it comes down to it.

Or not.

Cutting Kearse would open up a total of $366k...which is less than the NFL minimum salary.

Cutting Lane would mean an ADDITIONAL salary cap hit $2.5m, on top of the $5.25m if they just keep him.

A-Dog

Reaction score
drrew":1su72n6f said:
A-Dog":1su72n6f said:
We do have a couple of guys - Jeremy Lane and Jermaine Kearse - who aren't top performers and who have pretty sizeable contracts. If we do restructure with a low first year cap hit, it could be balanced by the fact that we could cut those two if it comes down to it.

Or not.

Cutting Kearse would open up a total of $366k...which is less than the NFL minimum salary.

Cutting Lane would mean an ADDITIONAL salary cap hit $2.5m, on top of the $5.25m if they just keep him.

Sorry, I should have clarified - I mean if we cut them next year. So they play this year and we cut them in the offseason, so if we have bigger 2nd-year cap hits on free agents we sign or vets we extend, we can offset it by cutting those guys.

We can save almost $10M by cutting those two after this season.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
drrew":1mvn491p said:
A-Dog":1mvn491p said:

Or not.

While partially right, designating Kearse a post June 1st cut would save $2.2 million against the cap. With Lane, it would save nothing. Their contracts were structured to let go of them after this year. Kearse can be moved on from if the need arises, but Lane is here to stay this coming year.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mikeak":2y3f9srm said:
Remember that it is also relatively easy to create cap by redoing a deal to a player where guaranteed money shifts to signing bonus. It doesn't change the money a player gets just how it gets split

Chicago has it as a standard in all their contract that the team can do this and the player has to agree

Considering RW, Sherman, Kam, Baldwin and a few others I expect that we are willing to slowly start spending money from the future for he next 2-5 years
That's a good way to get and stay in Cap Hell. Jerruh Jones in *allas is exhibit A.
If you do that once in a while you are fine, all of the time like crazy uncle Jerruh, then you are screwed.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mikeak":3sogaa0j said:
Hawkstorian":3sogaa0j said:
mikeak":3sogaa0j said:
Remember that it is also relatively easy to create cap by redoing a deal to a player where guaranteed money shifts to signing bonus. It doesn't change the money a player gets just how it gets split

This is possible, but not something the Seahawks have done under this regime. I would be surprised if they went down this path.

I think we haven't done it because we didn't need too and also because we had several young players signed cheaply on their first contracts.

As those are re-signed and you need money to keep a good team going I personally believe we will utilize this option if needed. It doesn't by itself create "cap-hell" (as noted by others) if done prudently and managed but it allows you to use the 3-5 year window that you find yourself in at different times. Then you have a 1-2 year downturn where you catch up alternatively you hit it in the draft and get lucky / use your skill.

We shall see but if the right guys are there for the right price I see it happening but not like some teams. On the other hand look at Chicago again - they did it quite a bit while they now suck it is not because of the cap (Cutler) and are fine with where the Cap is.

Dallas did it and then hit in the draft and suddenly looks great.

Saints did it and are having major issue. Point being - you can do it and manage it right / wrong and that is what decides the outcome
*allas got lucky last year, last place schedule, caught some huge breaks along the away, and reality reared its ugly head in the playoffs for them. Their Super Bowl window slammed shut before it was opened, thanks to the Cap Hell they are currently in. If you want to look at the masters of working the salary cap look at NE, as much as it pains me to say.

mikeak

Reaction score
Yes NE does it well but are helped by a $10-$15M BONUS EACH YEAR from Tom Brady not wanting to get paid like a top-tier QB.

Let's face it that makes a huge difference.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
mikeak":21uxphtb said:
Yes NE does it well but are helped by a $10-$15M BONUS EACH YEAR from Tom Brady not wanting to get paid like a top-tier QB.

That's the result of your QB already having gone through 100 contracts in his career. That is gonna end in a year or two. They will have to pay Jimmy garapolo next year, or lose him. This could conceivably be Tommy's last year in new England, if Jimmy is their guy going forward. Belicheck has no loyalty.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
mikeak":nai33jxz said:

Very true.

chris98251

Reaction score
mikeak":2cijyisv said:

Waiting for him to retire and get 20 percent ownership of the Patriots for a dollar.

mikeak

Reaction score
I actually don't think there is anything shady there. Instead he gets paid less, gets hit less because of better players around him and have a better life after football.

Coupled with his wife making more than him...

Seymour

Reaction score
mikeak":3p86nhlv said:
I actually don't think there is anything shady there. Instead he gets paid less, gets hit less because of better players around him and have a better life after football.

Coupled with "endorsement deals" where players can earn more $$ than in football. Go sign a $20M autograph once a year type stuff that is impossible to trace back to Kraft.

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Also Brady's wife makes more money that he does.

Hopefully that formula comes into play for our QB, but I expect it won't.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
mikeak":1w9dj00o said:

Nothing shady at all. It's his choice and he's benefiting from it.

It's a perfect example of what an NFL player is when it's not about the money. He clearly doesn't need it so he lets the team benefit from that.

We can be jealous. But it's pretty damn admirable of him. In this era of pro athletes and how they let fans down people really want to take a run at Brady? Come on...

OP
OP
Hawkstorian

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
Joeckel's contract is being reported as $7M fullly guaranteed and $1M tied to game-day bonuses. Since he played in 4 games in 2016 only $250K of $1M counts right now, so his cap number is $7.25M.

The deal replaces a minimum salary deal of $465k so his contract reduces our available space by $6.785M leaving us with $18.78M.

They could still sign Lang, but I think the first year cap would have to be quite a bit less than the APY. I could also see them cutting Gilliam loose sooner than later if they now have some vets to take his spot.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ good info and update. Thanks.

I think we are spent on the one year deals. Next guy will have to to be at least two years with a signing bonus

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1mzu0tnb said:
mikeak":1mzu0tnb said:

Very true.
Brady gets illegally paid under the table somehow.

Tical21

Reaction score
That is so much damn money for a horrible, hurt player.

Josea16

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2k30di74 said:
Sports Hernia":2k30di74 said:
mikeak":2k30di74 said:

Very true.
Brady gets illegally paid under the table somehow.
You don't say? Everyone knows this and the fact his wife Is a billionaire and that Goodell and Kraft are BBF's. It's life adapt and go on.

Josea16

Reaction score
Tical21":1hqz2qae said:
That is so much damn money for a horrible, hurt player.
The current market disagrees with this opinion. In the current NFL if you're at least an average OL you will be paid. Similar to how average quarterbacks like Cutler, Keapernick, Oswhieller ect. were overpaid. You can thank the NCAA and the stupid spread offenses that most run for this, among other dumb rules they have made out of fear of actual football.

Latest posts