2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

sutz

Reaction score
Perhaps One key to the bullpen is how the starters do. Take this past weekend. Felix and Pax turn in gems and go deep. So when Kuma laid an egg on Sunday, the bullpen ws rested and managed to keep us in the game til the offense could step up. It all works together.

Chapow

Reaction score
sutz":kpou6tcp said:
West TX Hawk":kpou6tcp said:
Kamcussion":kpou6tcp said:
When Segura comes back.. there is no way they can sit Motter, absolutely no way.

Completely agree. Motter can play anywhere-have him replace Martin for awhile or even Dyson. Neither of them are hitting worth a damn and Motter's been crushing it.
I'm thinking maybe Valencia better get his ass in gear. Motter could play first, too. ;)

This is what I would like to see happen when Segura is ready to come back. Put Motter at 1st and have Valencia take a seat in the dugout.

Personally, I would give both Martin and Dyson more time to see if they can put it together a little bit and start to contribute more offensively. IMO, Martin is an elite CF and I guess I value that more than most it seems. He also adds needed speed on the bases (I know, I know, it doesn't matter if he never gets on base). Dyson, man, he has elite speed and quickness on the bases. We've already seen what he can do in the very early going. He seems to be able to take a bag at will. If he gets on, he will almost certainly be in scoring position shortly.

So out of the 3 of Valencia, Martin, and Dyson, I feel like Valencia is contributing the least overall right now. However, he has averaged right about a .290 BA for the last 4 years straight, so he probably has the potential to contribute more at the plate than Martin or Dyson if he can regain his form of the last 4 years.

It's a tough call, but I think they have to find a way keep Motter in the lineup.

sutz

Reaction score
And the fun part is that O'Malley is only a shade behind Motter in talent, can also play numerous positions and is a switch hitter. He really only got beat out by the numbers game, since we kept 8 in the pen. I expect to see him back up soon, too.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
sutz":qvsd98ne said:
And the fun part is that O'Malley is only a shade behind Motter in talent, can also play numerous positions and is a switch hitter. He really only got beat out by the numbers game, since we kept 8 in the pen. I expect to see him back up soon, too.

Not even that. He got beat by his appendix (it was appendix right??) he had surgery a few weeks b4 camp ended.

Although I wasn't wildly impressed by omalley last year....

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Miranda sure threw a gem last night. Really excited about what he can bring this year in a full season.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Oh gosh... Buhner is coming into the booth in the 3rd. I can't stand listening to him. When he's in the booth he just talks about whatever is on his mind. Don't wanna hear it.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Gallardo is horrible...how he even made the team is surprising. He sucked during spring training and has continued it so far this season. Weakest pitcher on team by a mile.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
hawkfan68":7cq67xaq said:
Gallardo is horrible...how he even made the team is surprising. He sucked during spring training and has continued it so far this season. Weakest pitcher on team by a mile.

It goes back to us not having a good farm system. Instead of calling up a young guy, we have to settle for a stop gap pitcher. Last year it was Karns and Miley, this year it is Gallardo. I wish we never gave up Elias, Montgomery or even LeBlanc. Once Smyly comes back, we probably won't see much of Gallardo.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Is this really going to happen tonight?

4-0 lead and they wouldn't let him finish? Ms better get a hit

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2jf6kcgf said:
hawkfan68":2jf6kcgf said:

It goes back to us not having a good farm system. Instead of calling up a young guy, we have to settle for a stop gap pitcher. Last year it was Karns and Miley, this year it is Gallardo. I wish we never gave up Elias, Montgomery or even LeBlanc. Once Smyly comes back, we probably won't see much of Gallardo.
In order of worst to best, I'd say it's Miley, Karns, Gallardo. And I agree with you about Montgomery and LeBlanc (not so much Elias). Monty could've been a middle to late rotational guy, or even a long relief guy. The jury is still out on Vogelbach. Chicago won that trade.

I feel like DiPoto shuffles just to shuffle. From mid season to the final stretch, the most consistent pitchers last year were LeBlanc and Miranda. They kept putting the team in a position to win with their starts. Neither were particularly flashy, but they were dominant in their own right. It just blows my mind that LeBlanc was DFA'd and DiPoto pretty much had written Miranda off as a rotation pitcher in favor of Gallardo.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Feel like they've left alot of runs out there already.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Haniger.. steal of the M's history so far... can't wait to get Segura back.

Joygazm

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2n1jkxa7 said:

We got Bone for Ken Phelps

Randy Johnson for Mark Langston, even though Langston was an All-Star he was nowhere near the talent of Randy.

If Haniger surpasses both of those trades I will gladly accept it as the greatest.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Joygazm":s42mj1xy said:
Bobblehead":s42mj1xy said:

Randy Johnson for Mark Langston, even though Langston was an All-Star he was nowhere near the talent of Randy.

If Haniger surpasses both of those trades I will gladly accept it as the greatest.
Too early to tell but, I really like Haniger's hitting approach. He doesn't get overmatched, isn't afraid to walk, and let's the game come to him (doesn't overthink).

It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the adjustments made by the pitchers, but the good
Thing with him hitting second is the protection of the big bats behind him.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Joygazm":oem9mde5 said:
Bobblehead":oem9mde5 said:

Yeah, I have to agree with Joygazm and Sports Hernia here is saying that I DO like the trade thus far ... but believe it's WAYYYYY too early to conclude that.

In terms of trades, I'd have to say that the top 2 in M's history (as of right now) are:

2) Ken Phelps for Jay Buhner ... and

1) Mark Langston and Mike Campbell for Randy Johnson, Gene Harris, and Brian Holman (who started off well and would have been a very quality starter in his own right had drugs not ruined his career).

I agree the early returns on Haniger look great. Let's see if he still looks as dominant the 2nd and 3rd time through the AL -- once the pitchers start to study him, learn where his weak spots are, and how Haniger then adjusts to how they are then pitching to him. If Haniger is still dominating AL pitching 2 years from now ... then YEAH, I'd have to agree with you in saying that this trade right here may be the best in M's history.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Joygazm":1r8ngeuh said:
Bobblehead":1r8ngeuh said:

OK OK.. :)

Got a little carried away, I can't argue the Buhner or Johnson trade..

Blitzer88

Reaction score
This Altavilla guy needs to be sent down. Has he ever had a good outing? I mean every outing he struggles and basically allowed the game to get out of hand when he came in.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Blitzer88":pp9em8i4 said:
This Altavilla guy needs to be sent down. Has he ever had a good outing? I mean every outing he struggles and basically allowed the game to get out of hand when he came in.
Both of the relievers tonight need to be sent out on the Tacoma shuttle.

With that being said..... games in Oakland for the Mariners seem to be like the Hawks when they play at the Rams
Home stadium, a house of horrors, they can't catch a break and every mistake is magnified.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Blitzer88":1ynnzys6 said:
I guess the same can be said for Diaz and his 6.35 ERA over 5 games too. Altavilla hasn't been much better either, but the bullpen in general has been horrible this year. The best arms have been the Scrabble (rpcynzki?) Pazos, and Marshall. I guess Vincent too, which is so surprising. Scribner needs to go, but Altavilla is good. He's just going through I rough stretch