2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

sdog1981

Reaction score
Kennedyin92":1dncukke said:
I wonder if a change in ownership will bring about any change in philosophy?

It has the change something. It is easy to see that no one fears being call out for putting out crap.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Zunino you STINK!!!! Please hitch hike to Tacoma after the game. Bases loaded strike out and 1st n 2nd strikeout. Get lost.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
So....Servais benches Martin for a night, but has the gall to put Valencia back in only to see him continue his best Martin impression. And Zunino for that matter, as well. Sad. Just sad.

getnasty

Reaction score
M's should be up by 4 or 5 runs right now. Instead were up one and Servis just pulled Felix after 85 pitches, I don't care if a leftie is coming back keep him in there.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I'm impressed with Felix this year.I think he has learned how to pitch more with less if that makes sense.
To the poster way above,defense matters!In games like last night and when the team is not hitting.
To another poster about caring whether M's would move.That has already been tried(Think St.Pete)
To Chapow.Your post is exactly how I have been feeling.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Already this year, and it's a pretty common scenario in the AL, is runners in 1st and 2nd with no one out and a free swinging player at the plate. Why not bunt them over?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3k0wzvow said:
Already this year, and it's a pretty common scenario in the AL, is runners in 1st and 2nd with no one out and a free swinging player at the plate. Why not bunt them over?
I see this with NL(Cubs)games also..It makes no sense not to.Guys on 1st/2nd with no outs,there is no reason not to do it unless you simply cannot bunt.I'd be having those drills with every hitter

dumbrabbit

Reaction score
IndyHawk":of5op82i said:
Uncle Si":of5op82i said:
I see this with NL(Cubs)games also..It makes no sense not to.Guys on 1st/2nd with no outs,there is no reason not to do it unless you simply cannot bunt.I'd be having those drills with every hitter

Bunts are too much a gamble and the high majority of them are easy outs. I'd rather make the defense work to get the out.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":x0nhbm6x said:
IndyHawk":x0nhbm6x said:
Uncle Si":x0nhbm6x said:

Bunts are too much a gamble and the high majority of them are easy outs. I'd rather make the defense work to get the out.
The point is to move runners over even if the bunt leads to an out a 1st.The odds of run(s) scored with guys at 2nd/3rd are better with a hit or deep flyball and even a grounder in the right spot can lead to a run.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Yep. It's called small ball and coaches teach it since little league. Why they stop doing it in the bigs is beyond me. The cubs and giants are two teams that do this very well... and combined won 4 WS titles since 2010. Small ball works.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
dumbrabbit":2ms1asw8 said:
IndyHawk":2ms1asw8 said:
Uncle Si":2ms1asw8 said:

I should have mentioned my question was rhetorical

Of course bunts are typically outs. Their purpose is to move runners. I wonder what the scoring percentages are for 2nd/3rd with one out versus 1st/2nd with no outs.

getnasty

Reaction score
I bet your odds of scoring 1 run go up quite a bit but your odds of a big inning definitely go down. For me it's all about who's at the plate and who's on deck.

Crizilla

Reaction score
When Segura comes back, Servais should keep Motter in the line up some how. Swap either martin, valencia, dyson, or martin with Motter. Guy can hit. Don't know what positions on defense he can play though...CF?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
getnasty":zvp6elsj said:
I bet your odds of scoring 1 run go up quite a bit but your odds of a big inning definitely go down. For me it's all about who's at the plate and who's on deck.

That and maybe game situation. Sure would be nice to see the Ms scratch a run here or there when the game is early.

Saying this as the blast there way to a 5 run inning.

sutz

Reaction score
Crizilla":3r1cmts8 said:
When Segura comes back, Servais should keep Motter in the line up some how. Swap either martin, valencia, dyson, or martin with Motter. Guy can hit. Don't know what positions on defense he can play though...CF?
I thought he was a utility guy. Played all over in spring ball. Short is his natural position, from what I've heard. He's been pretty solid there while Segs has been out. Learning to work with Cano.

Motter can play almost anywhere. I think he's only a step or so slower than any of our outfielders.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I agree, we have got to find a way to keep Motter in the lineup when Segura comes back. He isn't going to keep this up the entire season, but we need to ride him until he cools off.

Paxton looks great, he needs to stay healthy and take over as the ace. The front of our rotation looks good, but I still worry about the back end with Gallardo and Miranda, and who knows with the bullpen. Great win today, lets get the sweep tomorrow.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Pax has been beasting all year!
Saw him pitch Monday and he was ca$h money, and to watch him on TV pitch even better tonight, wow!

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":c2dnhqym said:
I agree, we have got to find a way to keep Motter in the lineup when Segura comes back. He isn't going to keep this up the entire season, but we need to ride him until he cools off.

Paxton looks great, he needs to stay healthy and take over as the ace. The front of our rotation looks good, but I still worry about the back end with Gallardo and Miranda, and who knows with the bullpen. Great win today, lets get the sweep tomorrow.
The BP had seen a bit of overuse until the last two games. Between Felix and Pax, they've gotten some rest. Hopefully that will help.

Would be great if Kuma can have a good outing tomorrow.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2k4dkik2 said:

Agreed. I'd love to see Servais be spontaneous and Slide Dyson into CF, put Motter in LF and option Martin to Tacoma (hopefully he's not out of options). Servais made the grave mistake of giving the starting SS job back to Marte last year, after O'Malley thrived as the starter. It was no coincidence the M's went something like 14-3 during that time. O'Malley was/is a clear upgrade offensively and defensively over Marte. That was made Crystal clear when Marte came back. O'malley did everything he could possibly do to keep that job, but Servais was being stubborn. It'll be interesting to see how he handles Martin's situation.

Latest posts