2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sutz":2xlcrtm5 said:
Diaz is going full Rodney on us. :34853_doh:

No confidence at all.. might be a good idea to visit our catcher down in tacoma.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1leftjrs said:
sutz":1leftjrs said:

No confidence at all.. might be a good idea to visit our catcher down in tacoma.
He needs it. He's falling apart. Could Cishek be back in the running for the closer?

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3egtln7n said:
sutz":3egtln7n said:

People do realize that Zunino was our best hitting catcher, right? :rofl: :laugh:

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":1yaxi1y0 said:
Bobblehead":1yaxi1y0 said:
sutz":1yaxi1y0 said:

He needs it. He's falling apart. Could Cishek be back in the running for the closer?

No please no! Vincent and Cishek are still the worst pitchers on the team.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1ixqr5ux said:
gowazzu02":1ixqr5ux said:
West TX Hawk":1ixqr5ux said:
And Diaz continues to fall in love with his slider and it's proving costly. For crying out loud, when you throw upper 90s+, throw your damn fastball 80% of the time not 50%. I don't know why he doesn't try to go up and in more. Now as he continues trying to be Slider Joe, watch over time as his velocity will dip. I've seen it countless times.

Cause he has no idea where the fastball is going.

For a flame-throwing closer, being "effectively wild" is one of the best traits to have.

Oh boy, I hate being right!

Yes effectively wild....within reason. But last night he was making Tuffy dive FEET out of the zone to catch the ball. I have faith Stott will slow him down, get back to basics, focus on mechanics. (hopefully)

xgeoff

Reaction score
Regardless of Diaz's velocity, if he can't throw his slider for a strike, he's toast. Last year he was effective because of the quality of both of those pitches. Batters could adjust to, and be prepared for, one of them, but not both. The combination kept them totally off balance.

Now his velocity is down, and his control with the slider is gone. He needs to be demoted as the Closer, maybe sent to Tacoma. Not as a punishment, simply to get things right. The kid is electric when he throws strikes.

My recommendation would probably be Rzepzcynski as the Closer. He's the only one with the mentality that I would trust to hold down that role right now.

And one of the things that pisses me off the most is our Catcher situation. I know Jesus Sucre was only an average catcher with below average offense, but he looks like an absolute superstar compared to Ruiz and Gosewich.

Dipoto continues to baffle me. He makes some absolutely brilliant moves, like acquiring Haniger, Segura and Motter, then he blows an easy one like Sucre.

Tuffy Gosewich should walk around with a permanent Golden Sombrero.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Diaz no longer the closer. I'd assume it is just a short term thing until he gets everything worked out.

Cano placed on the 10 day DL.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":208v7d1n said:
Diaz no longer the closer. I'd assume it is just a short term thing until he gets everything worked out.

Cano placed on the 10 day DL.
That sucks, about Cano, that is. The Diaz move is kind of expected. But they'd been saying Cano would be back this week.

Diaz might still be effective as a spot reliever. He's got good velocity, but obviously lets things get to him.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Watching the game, De Jong looks so uncomfortable in the mound. He's really not exhuming any confidence at all.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Classic Cishek. Worst pitcher in the bigs. Been saying it for two years now. Always falling behind. Never has a 1-2-3 inning. Just terrible. He stunk so bad last year that he used an "injury" as a scape goat. What's he gonna say this year? Cause he flat out sucks...

The silver lining is having Dan W in the booth other than Buhner. Thank goodness! Dan has been a pleasant surprise. I think he did a good job in the booth today.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":12km0iyk said:
Classic Cishek. Worst pitcher in the bigs. Been saying it for two years now. Always falling behind. Never has a 1-2-3 inning. Just terrible. He stunk so bad last year that he used an "injury" as a scape goat. What's he gonna say this year? Cause he flat out sucks...
Apparently SS didn't learn tha lesson last year. CIshek was the human blown save machine last season.
Problem with strIctly sidearm pitchers is they don't miss up and down, they miss side to side, so when they miss outside of the strikezone it's way outside and the hitters lay off it. When they miss in the strike zone it's a batting practice pitch right down the middle usually belt high. The only role Cischek should have on any MLB roster is mop up duty (up or down by 6 runs).

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
*Sigh* Watching our bullpen (especially our closing situation) ... I feel like this classic scene basically captures the essence of what it's been like so far this year ...

[youtube]g_wc9JvTXGc[/youtube]

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
This team is in a ubiquitous state of chaotic injury and cataclysmic pitching.

I never thought I would have to relive the angst and misery of seeing Cishek back in the closer role. At the major league level, he personifies donkey shit. And he sure ain't Eckersley or Quisenberry or Tekulve or any other decent sidewinder from 30-some years ago I can think of. What a disastrous loss that sums up the season.

And Diaz is absolutely lost right now, both mentally and mechanically. Vincent and Rzep are our best relievers at the moment, despite Rzep's off night. No real solutions in sight.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":5xrd809w said:
This team is in a ubiquitous state of chaotic injury and cataclysmic pitching.

I never thought I would have to relive the angst and misery of seeing Cishek back in the closer role. At the major league level, he personifies donkey shit. And he sure ain't Eckersley or Quisenberry or Tekulve or any other decent sidewinder from 30-some years ago I can think of. What a disastrous loss that sums up the season.

And Diaz is absolutely lost right now, both mentally and mechanically. Vincent and Rzep are our best relievers at the moment, despite Rzep's off night. No real solutions in sight.

I love this post. Speaking of Vincent, I'm surprised how well he's been this year. He was abysmal last year. But it's hard to not put a lot of the blame of the bullpen on Servaisz Stottlemyre, and DiPoto. It's clear Servais doesn't believe in long relief. It seems like 95% of the time, he'll utilize 95% of the pen between innings 7-9 of games that aren't complete blowouts. Ever since Stottlemyre has been here, I feel like the whole pitching staff has struggled for the most part. And I'm sorry, but DiPoto did such a poor job of constructing the pen. Trades a valuable pitcher in Montgomery. Gets rid of LeBlanc, who is one of the best relievers in the league for Pittsburgh right now. Brings in guys like Fien and Scribner. He needs to start making pitching a priority.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Bergman was lights out last night. Hopefully it's not a one game fluke. Bergman and Pazos combine for a shutout. That's refreshing for this team right now.

sutz

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":5iwntcbl said:
Bergman was lights out last night. Hopefully it's not a one game fluke. Bergman and Pazos combine for a shutout. That's refreshing for this team right now.
Damn good win last night. Bergie was great, Pazos closed well. Defense was good and even the bats made some timely hits and scratched out 4 runs.

Hope we can see more of this.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Absolute stellar performance by Gallardo and Overton tonight. The whole team is really firing on all cylinders. Kept the Sox to just 19 hits and held em to 16 runs (only 15 earned). Freeman came in to close it out and gave up just 1 run actually so expect him to be 3rd in the rotation now. I can't wait for the week ahead!

Latest posts