2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
MAN! If you had told me before the season started ... that on May 11th that Justin Smoak would have better offensive numbers than Danny Valencia ... I would have told you that it sounded like you were loopy from getting hit in the head with a 95 MHP fastball. No way I would have believed that. Why does it always seem as if the Baseball gods have doomed Seattle to be forever tormented/burned by ex-Mariners?

sutz

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":270huy31 said:
MAN! If you had told me before the season started ... that on May 11th that Justin Smoak would have better offensive numbers than Danny Valencia ... I would have told you that it sounded like you were loopy from getting hit in the head with a 95 MHP fastball. No way I would have believed that. Why does it always seem as if the Baseball gods have doomed Seattle to be forever tormented/burned by ex-Mariners?
The Mariners have had a bad habit of bringing guys up too soon, and watching them flame out, then trading them or letting them go. Most players need time to develop, including time to learn, but also time to fail and bounce back. The old regime would have dumped Valencia by now and continued to watch Vogelbach struggle, until they eventually let him go. I'd say that Voges has some promise, but needs at least another year at AAA to develop.

:229031_shrug:

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1tn9hulq said:
Justin Smoak getting some payback on us.

I still think we are playing with fools gold. As good as the offense has been, you can't win with this formula. You can't win a World Series with a bottom 5 pitching staff. I know we have plenty of injuries, but even at full strength I have doubts about the pitching.

Amazing what the pitching staff will be once they get their top 4 starters back! The bull pen has been hit pretty hard with injury too.

I like Diaz and Zych, Add in Cishek and you can push everyone back a roll. Add in all the great expereince the young guys are getting maybe someone makes an impact and sticks around.

Just gotta keep treading water.

yesterday was bound to happen. Just gotta go get tonight.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Per ESPN, Kuma will miss 4-6 weeks with shoulder inflammation. How much longer will DiPoto put up with a rotation of De Jong, Overton, Miranda, Bergman, and Gallardo?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
You now got Weber who started today,I see from the box score that he did ok.
Wow on all these no names we have pitching.
Again what is Cliff Lee doing today?

sutz

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2wy0bia7 said:
You now got Weber who started today,I see from the box score that he did ok.
Wow on all these no names we have pitching.
Again what is Cliff Lee doing today?
And, of course, Weber goes out in the 4th with a shoulder injury of some kind. :34853_doh:

The bats woke up a little bit, but still couldn't push many runs across the plate. Left 11 on base.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":nchk2xtc said:
I think at some point, Jerry should at least consider throwing out trade feelers for Seager.

I was thinking the same thing. If other teams are interested in taking on his long term deal, then Dipoto needs to contemplate a major move. Plug in Motter at 3rd and go from there. Even when we get more healthy, you really have no idea what you're going to get with Felix and Iwakuma at this stage of their careers. Frankly, both may be about done.

I cannot ever remember a team so decimated with starting pitching injuries. To have Weber go down and the others earlier in the week is just astonishing. Better call up AA guys now...or make a move Dipoto.

getnasty

Reaction score
Typical Mariners, fight to get back to .500 and then get swept in a 4 game series by the worst team in baseball. Time to bounce back again, really needs some good news on the injury front.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
And Diaz continues to fall in love with his slider and it's proving costly. For crying out loud, when you throw upper 90s+, throw your damn fastball 80% of the time not 50%. I don't know why he doesn't try to go up and in more. Now as he continues trying to be Slider Joe, watch over time as his velocity will dip. I've seen it countless times.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":34t7gffn said:
And Diaz continues to fall in love with his slider and it's proving costly. For crying out loud, when you throw upper 90s+, throw your damn fastball 80% of the time not 50%. I don't know why he doesn't try to go up and in more. Now as he continues trying to be Slider Joe, watch over time as his velocity will dip. I've seen it countless times.
His velocity has already dropped. His 99-101mph fastball is now 95-97mph.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1zal1djv said:
West TX Hawk":1zal1djv said:
His velocity has already dropped. His 99-101mph fastball is now 95-97mph.
Has it been 95-97 MPH regularly this season? Or just recently?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Only if the M's still had Miguel Pineda and Jason Vargas. Those guys have been terrific so far this year for their teams - Yanks and Royals respectively.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1j3irnak said:
Only if the M's still had Miguel Pineda and Jason Vargas. Those guys have been terrific so far this year for their teams - Yanks and Royals respectively.
Ugh, it's depressing to even think about. Vargas traded for Kendrys Morales. The Pineda trade might be even worse. Traded for Montero, all because in addition to Felix, the M's also had Paxton, Walker, and Hultzen. I guess too many promising pitchers is a bad problem to have :roll:

gowazzu02

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":gzep9z31 said:

Cause he has no idea where the fastball is going.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
gowazzu02":2rai38qs said:
West TX Hawk":2rai38qs said:

For a flame-throwing closer, being "effectively wild" is one of the best traits to have.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3o64ajck said:
gowazzu02":3o64ajck said:
West TX Hawk":3o64ajck said:

For a flame-throwing closer, being "effectively wild" is one of the best traits to have.
He can get away with that at 99+, the closer he is to 95 the more hittable his fastball is.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
For some reason, it's always great to see Edgar hanging out in the dugout.. yeah, my favorite Mariner. Remember him batting about 380 in the minor while I was back east and never understood why they didn't call him up earlier.