2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2z7bxml2 said:
1 month to 2 month.. damn
Ugh, that's brutal. Just brutal. This team can't catch a break. I really hope Motter picks it up and produces at the plate like he did in April. This is a prime opportunity for him to step up.

If they can't get healthy and start getting in the playoff picture by the trade deadline, does anyone think they'll be big time sellers at the deadline?

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Thepeelsessions":21zfesck said:
Bobblehead":21zfesck said:
Ugh, that's brutal. Just brutal. This team can't catch a break. I really hope Motter picks it up and produces at the plate like he did in April. This is a prime opportunity for him to step up.

If they can't get healthy and start getting in the playoff picture by the trade deadline, does anyone think they'll be big time sellers at the deadline?

Clayton was saying earlier that he thought it would be a house cleaning, getting rid of everyone and doing what the Astro's did if they were way out of it. They would keep some of the young guys like Hanniger but then trade anyone with value for prospects.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":z3uikvzg said:
Thepeelsessions":z3uikvzg said:
Bobblehead":z3uikvzg said:

Clayton was saying earlier that he thought it would be a house cleaning, getting rid of everyone and doing what the Astro's did if they were way out of it. They would keep some of the young guys like Hanniger but then trade anyone with value for prospects.
I think they are a year away from that. You have a new ownership group and you have to at
Least have a little success or a total meltdown (60 win season) in order to blow it up at this time IMHO.

They are a wildcard playoff team easy without the butt load of injuries to their star players.

Your big names (Cruz, Cano, Felix) are towards the backend of their careers so you combine their age and big
Contracts, that = very little trade value.

You build around Segura, Haniger, Paxton, Seager, Gamel, Motter, Smith, etc etc etc..

Your fanbase is not going to wait around for another full rebuild which usually takes 3-5 years to build
From scratch.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Are Cruz and Felix near the ends of their contracts?I think Cruz is and would bring a prospect or two.
I'm not sure on Felix but if we kept him it's better than having Gallardo for sure for next year.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
My oh my... whatever Zunino did his last time in Tacoma seems to be working. Or me talking bad about him reversed the jinx :snack:

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Seahaaaawks":2hnl9h2o said:
My oh my... whatever Zunino did his last time in Tacoma seems to be working. Or me talking bad about him reversed the jinx :snack:

And David Valencia.. 7 for 7 in this series.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Bobblehead":3u5zt0m4 said:
Seahaaaawks":3u5zt0m4 said:

And isn't Seager still hitless in this series? :34853_doh:

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1kmh1k64 said:
Seahaaaawks":1kmh1k64 said:

He hit like David Valencia in April. 8)

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Nobody is trading for Felix, and Cano would be very hard to move with his age and contract. Cruz would be the best trade piece as he will be a free agent in 2019.

This team is in a tough position. They are very much built to win now, but how do we go for it? It's not like we can offer prospects to get a starting pitcher. We don't have much in the minors. Our best bet is to hope Felix, Kuma and Smyly get healthy and can be solid rotational pitchers. In a way, just getting healthy would be like trading for 3 new starting pitchers. Felix is suppose to pitch for Tacoma on Tuesday, and then likely another start on June 11 for them. Good chance we see him back in a couple of weeks. I heard Hanniger is hoping to join Felix in Tacoma around the same time and he probably won't have to be there as long as Felix. Iwakuma and Smyly could be back by the end of June. If we can get the entire rotation healthy by then I like our chances of making a run.

The Wild Card isn't that far out of reach, only 3.5 games back. I just worry the AL East is going to get 3 teams in and leave us on the outside. I don't see Boston or the New York Yankees going anywhere, hopefully Baltimore fades.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Bloody strange things are happening with the M's,
Zunino can't stop hitting
Valancia 9 for 9
and something else is brewing.

I'm not superstitious.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I can barely even recognize the new Mike Zunino. Bases loaded and falls behind 0-2, battles back to a 2-2 count and goes the other way to drive in two runs.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1ekkcjzp said:
I can barely even recognize the new Mike Zunino. Bases loaded and falls behind 0-2, battles back to a 2-2 count and goes the other way to drive in two runs.
I'm not sure I recognize the whole team. :mrgreen:

Miranda at 75 pitches in a scoreless game in the 7th. Bullpen getting a rest today. Pitching in general has been pretty acceptable. :2thumbs:

Hitters have been on fire, inculding Zuni. Bottom of the lineup has been aces.

Defense overall is great, with a ton of speed in the outfield and a pretty good infield, too.

Hope it lasts.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I"m just so glad Miller is a Ray.. or anyone else... though wish he was a Astro at this point, and not a M.
Miranda, tell ya, has really saved this rotation.

sutz

Reaction score
Miranda, complete game. 1 run on a muffed fly ball. All of a sudden, Servais is having a hard time finding pitches for the bullpen. :D

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I"m just so glad Miller is a Ray.. or anyone else... though wish he was a Astro at this point, and not a M.
Miranda, tell ya, has really saved this rotation.

Just the series the doctor ordered.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
sutz":1if111ic said:
Hawk-Lock":1if111ic said:
I'm not sure I recognize the whole team. :mrgreen:

Miranda at 75 pitches in a scoreless game in the 7th. Bullpen getting a rest today. Pitching in general has been pretty acceptable. :2thumbs:

Hitters have been on fire, inculding Zuni. Bottom of the lineup has been aces.

Defense overall is great, with a ton of speed in the outfield and a pretty good infield, too.

Hope it lasts.
I'm shocked ..A 2-8 start and many injuries
Yet they are still alive ..Wow

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
On fire! The whole offense has been on a tear lately. Valencia is now hitting .283 on the year. Zunino has captured lightning in a bottle and the entire team is coming together, playing with a newfound energy and sense of urgency. Miranda has becone a legitimate #2 and we have about 4-5 decent relievers now. And to think we still have many guys on the DL. There is certainly hope on the horizon!

Crizilla

Reaction score
If Valencia and Zunino keep this up....nvm im getting ahead of myself.

Astros are this years Cubs. So good if they dont win it all it will be a complete failure.

on a side note, Chris Taylor for the Dodgers is having a good year. We got Zach Lee for him....whos with the padres now. When he was here he was 0-9 with a 7.74 ERA in Tacoma. Ouch.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
How about those M's eh? Unlike football, baseball is a LONG season -- full of twists and turns. For those who were down on Danny Valencia, I had little doubt that he would turn things around. He is a quality major league hitter. I've had him on my Fantasy Baseball team in the past and he's always done well for me, so I knew the worm would turn with him sooner or later.

Miranda is looking like he could be rounding into an impact pitcher. They said in the Postgame show that he'd never really had any coaching before (he'd always gotten by on raw talent). I'm liking what I'm seeing and when we get Felix ... and Iwakuma ... and eventually Smyly back -- look out!

And how about our new catcher?! Zunino looks like a completely different hitter up there at the plate. Baseball is funny in that 1 tweak of mechanics here or there ... change one thing ... and all of a sudden you can have a guy go from complete suck ... to complete star. Yogi Berra used to say, "90% of this game is all mental -- the rest is in your head." So true. Raul Ibanez was a lesson for me and a real example of how you should never truly give up on a guy. Ibanez tried to crack the M's roster and struggled for 5 years -- up and down between the bigs and Tacoma. Finally he was out of options in 2000 and they let him go to Kansas City. He was 28 years old then. The rest of course is history. So for those who were tempted to -- don't give up on Zunino ... or this season for that matter.

There are over 100 games left in this season. There is a LONG ways to go and plenty of time left for this team to position itself for Post-season contention. As of tonight, the M's are only 2.5 games out of the Wild Card. With the way this team is playing right now -- once they start getting guys back -- the M's will be a force to be reckoned with.

Latest posts