2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

xgeoff

Reaction score
I am loving the grit and determination of this team. The hardships they are facing and battling through are amazing. What frustrates me the most is the maddening rate at which this team strands runners.

Dipoto has turned over this roster and yet they still display this characteristic that was the their achilles heel last year. And I wonder if it has to do with the core of the lineup. I like Seager-Cano-Cruz, and if you look at their numbers they look good. Cruz has a ton of RBI's, Cano had a career year last year. Seager puts up good numbers (though he is a notoriously slow starter).

Still, that core of the lineup has to deliver rbi's. Against the Red Sox they had 16 hits. 16!!!! And they scored 5 runs. The Mariners strand runners like no other team I've watched. And that will undo an offense, just absolutely undo it.

Every game it seems like Mike Blowers is lamenting about the Mariners' hits with runners in scoring position. Last year the Mariners were 17th in MLB, so statistically in the middle. Watching them it felt like it was worse. This year they are 25th out of the 30 teams.

I can't seem to find the individual figures for Seager-Cano-Cruz on BA/RISP. Cruz has a ton of RBI's, so I imagine his is not the problem. I'd like to be able to see this figure on an individual basis, though.

At a high level, though, the fact that the M's are hovering around .500 while dealing with so many injuries and other issues (e.g. Diaz's control issues), I feel really good about the team in general and Scott Servais in particular.

There are niggling issues like Dipoto letting Sucre go and getting Ruiz and Gosewich. I can't even begin to understand what he was thinking here. However, getting Haniger and Segura was a really great move. This team has great potential, and the season is still very young...

Uncle Si

Reaction score
While I appreciate the optimism, they need to win a few more games to even "hover" around .500.

That said, you are spot on. This team has really been hit hard with injuries. It seemed to finally catch up to them during that 6 game losing streak, scoring an abysmal 4 runs (I think... it was bad whatever it was).

re: Haniger.. I heard he injured his leg during rehab. No idea if that would set him back longer

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
sutz":7nrrew11 said:
Sports Hernia":7nrrew11 said:
sutz":7nrrew11 said:
Well, not a bad game today in Colorado. 6 runs from the offense, some decent pitching, holding the Rockies to 5 runs in nine.

Hey, Zunino got two hits today.

Nice to see them start playing before the getaway game.
Heck the pitcher even got a hit today. :2thumbs:
Anyone know when they get Haniger back???
Not finding many recent reports. There's this, from May 19th: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/231254208 ... b-routine/

If there's any updates, it might be during the game tonight.
Yeah that's all I could find as well. Even my fantasy baseball site has no updates.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
More Rockies Please.

M's have had some doozies this past road trip but made it fair..Glad that Felix.. Paxton and Kuma will be back soon.
Miranda MVP

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Well I'll be, if they haven't gone and won 3 in a row. The offense is hot the past few days. Keep it going. They really do have a potentially very potent lineup. Both rookies Gamel and Heredia are hitting over .300. Segura and Cano have been on fire lately.

From what I watched Sun and Mon, it looks like Diaz is getting it together. Mechanically, he's smoother and he was pitching very aggressively. He looked outstanding.

Random observation-if Altavilla can get his command down, he could be an absolute dominant set-up guy. He hit 99 yesterday with movement and has just a filthy slider. Earlier in the year he was wild and getting hit, but if he just keeps the ball down, pencil him in as our 8th inning guy.

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2kw430yh said:
More Rockies Please.

M's have had some doozies this past road trip but made it fair..Glad that Felix.. Paxton and Kuma will be back soon.
Miranda MVP
Well, they're coming here tomorrow and Thursday. ;)

Would love to keep this streak going. :2thumbs:

sutz

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":3epvjlr8 said:
Well I'll be, if they haven't gone and won 3 in a row. The offense is hot the past few days. Keep it going. They really do have a potentially very potent lineup. Both rookies Gamel and Heredia are hitting over .300. Segura and Cano have been on fire lately.

From what I watched Sun and Mon, it looks like Diaz is getting it together. Mechanically, he's smoother and he was pitching very aggressively. He looked outstanding.

Random observation-if Altavilla can get his command down, he could be an absolute dominant set-up guy. He hit 99 yesterday with movement and has just a filthy slider. Earlier in the year he was wild and getting hit, but if he just keeps the ball down, pencil him in as our 8th inning guy.
We get Paxton tomorrow, apparently. He should be good for 85 pitches or so, from what I've heard from the talking heads. If he can go 5-6 and looks anything like he did before the DL, we could be sitting pretty, assuming the hitters stay at all hot at home.

sutz

Reaction score
We seem to be owning the Rockies. :2thumbs:

All in all a good all around game, with a solid start from Pax, good outing from the bullpen (mostly), and hits all up and down the roster. Cischek had a bit of a shaky outing with some control issues, but didn't give up any runs in 1 2/3 innings, so I'll give him a B- or so, at least a C+.

Hmmm, I wonder if Gallardo can hold it together and finish the sweep?

Remember, day game today. 12:30 first pitch according to my guide.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Would love to see us get the sweep today, we need a good performance from Gallardo.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Wonder how many times a team has played back to back series away and home and won all.. not to many times I suppose.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Segura placed on 10 day DL with a high ankle sprain. Cruz is ok though and will be back tonight.

http://m.mariners.mlb.com/news/article/ ... d=27118402

I honestly don't think this year's team will ever be completely healthy. A real shame. And if Segura's sprain is bad, and it definitely appeared it was, he's going to be out a lot longer than 10 days.

sutz

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2xbx3zo0 said:
Segura placed on 10 day DL with a high ankle sprain. Cruz is ok though and will be back tonight.

I honestly don't think this year's team will ever be completely healthy. A real shame. And if Segura's sprain is bad, and it definitely appeared it was, he's going to be out a lot longer than 10 days.
"High ankle sprain" I hate that crap. It always seems to take longer than they think it will.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
sutz":69mtc81u said:
West TX Hawk":69mtc81u said:

"High ankle sprain" I hate that crap. It always seems to take longer than they think it will.

Okung still hasn't gotten over it.

sutz

Reaction score
Nice to see them continue to score with Segura out. Hope he doesn't miss many games.