2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

bigtrain21

Reaction score
Verlander didn't have any problem with it at all. He had thrown 5 and 1/3 perfect innings and he made the point that it wasn't too late in the game to do that and that bunting is a big part of Dyson's game.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Its mind boggling that there was a single person in the world who had a problem with that bunt. These people honestly think that preserving the opposing teams perfect game is more important thag doing everything you can to win the game?

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me that thought process behind wanting someone to in effect play down to a pitcher in order to "help" them get a perfect game. So it's considered kind of cheap and disrespectful by some people to bunt near the end of the game of a perfect game right? But by not using all your talents to get on base you are partly giving a pitcher something they did not deserve free and clear from help they should not be receiving (from the opposition) Isn't this pretty much the definition of cheap and disrespectful? (You can't do it on your own, you need help to reach your goal)

Idk does anyone kind of get what I'm saying? Isn't playing down to your opponent the un-sportsmanlike thing? Where did this mentality come from that the opposite is true?

sutz

Reaction score
The best part of the Dyson bunt is that he did it the day before. He laid down the exact same bunt, just past the pitcher with the 2B and 1B playing just a bit too deep. You'd think they would have seen it coming.

Great win!

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":wrnchrqw said:
Can someone explain to me that thought process behind wanting someone to in effect play down to a pitcher in order to "help" them get a perfect game. So it's considered kind of cheap and disrespectful by some people to bunt near the end of the game of a perfect game right? But by not using all your talents to get on base you are partly giving a pitcher something they did not deserve free and clear from help they should not be receiving (from the opposition) Isn't this pretty much the definition of cheap and disrespectful? (You can't do it on your own, you need help to reach your goal)

Idk does anyone kind of get what I'm saying? Isn't playing down to your opponent the un-sportsmanlike thing? Where did this mentality come from that the opposite is true?

Its like Brett Favre rolling right into Michael Strahan and falling down to give him the sack record. Its stupid, how about the sportsmanship toward the guy that just lost his record to a give up sack?

Even if it was the 9th inning with 2 out and down 20 runs, they should still be trying everything they can to get a hit. And any pitcher who has a problem with it is a whiner who wants to be handed accolades.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
The only people that are butt hurt about this is some of the Tiger fans, but can you blame them?
Their team sucks.
Justin had finally put up a start of a great game.
The team was leading...

Unbeknown to them, they are really pissed at the team and are just lashing out at anything that moves. I haven't seen any report where it said it was a dirty play. JV said he had no problem with it, they expect it..
Of course it would be the same fans that would be pissed if Dyson bunted in the 2nd while JV had a perfect game as well.

Crizilla

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1ljxavo6 said:
Its mind boggling that there was a single person in the world who had a problem with that bunt. These people honestly think that preserving the opposing teams perfect game is more important thag doing everything you can to win the game?

Those kinds of people is what leads to destruction of a society. Emotional, illogical whining when something doesn't go their way. It's all an over reaction because they got their feelings hurt Verlander didn't get a perfect game. They paint Dyson as the bad guy for trying to help his team win. It really is sad. You see this type of behavior a lot nowadays. When people act this way in politics it gets even worse.

Chapow

Reaction score
Bobblehead":17kghpk6 said:
Yeah, he's not bunting to break up the no hitter, he's bunting cause we need to win this game..

Exactly this.

Some Tigers fans are acting like Dyson laid down that bunt just to ruin Verlanders perfect game. That's straight up idiotic. He laid down that bunt to get on base because he was trying to help his team score runs. It was a 4 run game in the 6th inning. Still lots of game left and still within reach. No team is going to stop trying to win the game in those circumstances.

This whole "controversy" is just mind boggling.

Whatever. Great comeback by the M's.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Dyson did what he needed to do to help his team. That's all one can do. I think Tiger fans are up in a knot because the M's were down 4-0 at that point and normally one wouldn't bunt in that situation. But Dyson isn't a power hitter so it made sense to use his speed with a bunt.

Too many unwritten rules is one of the reasons I can't stand baseball as a sport. I follow the M's because I enjoy the local Seattle teams but not much of a baseball fan.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Crizilla":198eif6m said:
XxXdragonXxX":198eif6m said:

Those kinds of people is what leads to destruction of a society. Emotional, illogical whining when something doesn't go their way. It's all an over reaction because they got their feelings hurt Verlander didn't get a perfect game. They paint Dyson as the bad guy for trying to help his team win. It really is sad. You see this type of behavior a lot nowadays. When people act this way in politics it gets even worse.

PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think any rational person thinks that bunting in the 6th inning was against any of baseballs STUPID unwritten rules. Even Brian McCann and Goose Gossage the saltiest of old school baseball guys would say that the 6th is WAY too early to worry about that. Maybe in the 8th or 9th down 6 or something but 4 is well within striking distance with FOUR innings left.

Non story.

StoneCold

Reaction score
Was a great win. Hope it turns the season around. I have no problem with the bunt. Will be interesting to see if any unwritten rules about payback are in action tonight.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well.. they have my lineup .. cept they goofed with Valencia.
Segura
Hanniger
Cano
Cruz
Seager/Zunino
Dyson/Gamel
Heredia/Gamel
Zunino/Seager
Volencia.

Starting lineup
Segura
Hanniger
Cano
Cruz
Seager
Valencia
Gamel
Heredia
Zunino

...and pays off right away.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Moore looks really solid in his MLB debut tonight. Good poise, really nice breaking ball. Not afraid to pitch inside and good command.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1msrt8jb said:
To the Cano naysayers... he's proving many people wrong again.

It was only time, I suppose he'll have all star numbers by the all star.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Don't know if 3 runs is enough for shitcek.
I hate watching this guy pitch.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":evlsf658 said:

I know they don't pitch a like ,but he's always reminded me of Bobby Ayala.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Bobblehead":cynehhv6 said:
Sports Hernia":cynehhv6 said:

I know they don't pitch a like ,but he's always reminded me of Bobby Ayala.
Yep.

Maybe I'm a little too harsh on Cishek, but IMHO I don't think he has any business pitching in a close game.
Like I've said in the past, because of his sidearm delivery when he misses outside of the strikezone he missed by a foot to foot and a half outside the strikezone and most hitters (not named Hicks) won't chase that pitch. When he misses inside the strikezone the ball usually ends up bouncing off some outfield bleachers.