2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
We have some serious speed in action. Several steals this week. Great clutch hitting with RISP today.

The scouting report is out on Gamel. Everything away and particularly offspeed low and away. He needs to make an adjustment.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Bobblehead":1bxtnwhh said:
IS there a reason why they flip flopped the batting order of Segura and Gamel?

L, R, L, R etc. Servais has been doing it this past week.

sutz

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2mi4ygkm said:
Didn't hear why. Gamel has been ice cold for a while now. Got one hit tonight, at least.

Segura hasn't been super hot lately, maybe they thought he'd do better with Gamel on, except Gamel isn't getting on. :34853_doh:

Nice little run in the top 7 to take a 2 run lead. Can the pen pull through again?

Crizilla

Reaction score
Both Gamel and Valencia swing at away pitches too much. Pitchers now know them. I absolutely hate how there's nothing on ESPN or MLB about Paxtons win streak and now possibly being the front runner for the Cy Young. East coast bias will always be an evil thing. If he was on Boston or New York the media wouldn't shut up about him. I'm still laughing at "Aaron Judges All Star Party".

irocdave

Reaction score
Crizilla":2ey5dpqd said:
Both Gamel and Valencia swing at away pitches too much. Pitchers now know them. I absolutely hate how there's nothing on ESPN or MLB about Paxtons win streak and now possibly being the front runner for the Cy Young. East coast bias will always be an evil thing. If he was on Boston or New York the media wouldn't shut up about him. I'm still laughing at "Aaron Judges All Star Party".

The east coast bias is what made 95 so frigging special as a life long M's fan. I don't know if you were around then but the announcing was so lopsided. I will never forget the BS strike zone on Edgar against the Yankees and Mussberger? saying "well, if your that good you can over come it" and Edgar did just that. I wish you younger fans were around for the 95 M's, it was so rewarding,so many come from behind gut wrenching wins. East coast media had to eat almost as much crow as when the Hawks beat the Saints in a certain playoff game that the Hawks should have never been allowed to play in in the first place if you asked east coast media. That was the beats quake game.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I was literally 6 years old that day Edgar hit that double and I remember it. I'm thankful for my extremely good memory.

Nevar 4get.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":spjl1zs0 said:
Bobblehead":spjl1zs0 said:
Don't know, I prefer the other way.

As I mentioned yesterday, so almost the entire lineup is left, right, left, right, left, right, etc. This was discussed by Servais earlier in the week. It's something they're trying out to hopefully press the opposing team's bullpen and for matchup purposes.

Gamel L
Segura R
Cano L
Cruz R
Seager L
Valencia R
Dyson L
Martin L /Heredia R
Zunino R

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Felix just got scratched from tonight's game and put on the 10 day DL. Marco Gonzalez will get the start tonight.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":37ioom92 said:
Felix just got scratched from tonight's game and put on the 10 day DL. Marco Gonzalez will get the start tonight.

Wow. What in the world happened since his last start?

"Tendinitis in his right bicep" is the official word given per the Tribune.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/ml ... 62122.html

Well that puts an obvious damper in our playoff push. Unbelievable. Not how I wanted to see Gonzales make his debut.

getnasty

Reaction score
I can't remember a worse year for injuries and people landing on the DL. Pretty remarkable to be in the position we are, I feel like the Chargers of MLB.

sutz

Reaction score
Hmmmm. I'm not even sure if this is bad news. Felix doesn't seem to be the man any more. I don't think you could still call him a 7 inning pitcher. We're in a really important stretch here. I suspect they think Gonzalez can give us 6-7 good innings and keep the bullpen fresh for the rest of the month.

Paxton is our new 'stopper' who can go in there after a loss or two and shut things down enough to give us a win. Felix is looking more like a middle/back of the rotation guy than the staff ace. Hurts to say it, but :229031_shrug:

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
The thing with Gonzales is what DiPoto gave up to acquire him. Sure, statistically, O'Neill wasn't having a great year in Tacoma. But he has been on absolute fire for about 3 weeks at the time of the trade, and he was still what, the 3rd best prospect in the organization. I think he was even in the top 100 MLB prospect (could be wrong on that). But still, that's kind of a steep price to pay for a guy like Gonzales. Only time will tell if it was a beneficial trade, and that time starts today.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I feel like Felix needs to get in better shape. Though he's been worked to death for us so I can't really hold anything against him if he's not elite anymore. Just a shame we couldn't do anything for him like idk, make the playoffs once? when he was elite.

sutz

Reaction score
So, no game tonight. Double header tomorrow.

Just what we need, make it even harder.

:|

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":vhg51kf7 said:
Hawk-Lock":vhg51kf7 said:

Wow. What in the world happened since his last start?

"Tendinitis in his right bicep" is the official word given per the Tribune.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/ml ... 62122.html

Well that puts an obvious damper in our playoff push. Unbelievable. Not how I wanted to see Gonzales make his debut.

*Sigh* [Shaking my head] :34853_doh: Though he's clearly now a lesser regent, I have to concur with your assessment. That's pretty much my initial reaction as well. I'm interested to see how Gonzales does ... but this is NOT the way I wanted to see his debut happen.

That said, tomorrow's game may in fact turn out alright, as the Royals hitters haven't really seen a whole lot of Gonzales. For the short term at least (until the league starts to get a book on this guy), this may work out OK. Trying my best to put a "glass half full" perspective on this.

getnasty

Reaction score
Im calling it, after today the M's will be in sole possession of the 2nd wild card. Let's go M's!

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Per ESPN, The M's just aquired Yonder Alonso from Oakland for Boog Powell. Strange deal. Looks like first base will be going to a straight up platoon. Or is there a chance Valencia gets moved or DFA'd?

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
It should be a platoon, no reason for Valencia to get DFA'd, he's had a pretty good year. Looks like Alonso has really slowed down since the all star break, hopefully a new team can get him going again. I'm guessing we see Alonso play against RHP, his splits show that.