2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Smellyman

Reaction score
Paxton and 4 AAA pitchers is a little worrisome. Bullpen is nails, lineup can score and D is pretty dang good. Really need Miranda and Ramirez to step up. Gonzalez I don't have a clue about other than in KC his stuff looked average at best. Gallardo will battle.

Felix supposedly came in the best shape of his life. Looked like the same Felix to me, doughy. He needs to learn he has to workout. Although I would need semiahoo to confirm.

Catch Houston! :) How far back of the Angels were they in 95?

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Smellyman":2dgswh7e said:
Catch Houston! :) How far back of the Angels were they in 95?

Well, I'll tell you. I know that on August 2nd, the M's were 13 games back of the California Angels. They were 43-46 at that point. They finished the regular season at 78-66 (that was their record BEFORE the 1 game playoff with the Angels, as California finished with the exact same record). So, over the course of the last 55 games of the season that year, they went 35-20.

BUT ... not only were the M's red hot down the stretch ... you've also got to remember that the Angels experienced one of the greatest collapses in MLB history as well. On August 2nd, they were 56-33. In other words, over their final 55 games, they went 22-33.

Now, I'm not saying that something like that CAN'T happen again (after all, in sports anything CAN happen) ... BUT, the odds are long and Houston doesn't look anything like a team that looks anywhere near ready to fold despite the fact that they've gone 3-7 over their past 10 games. Anything CAN happen though, so we'll see for sure.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3t1un6ex said:
And there we have it folks. Can you believe that the M's just completed a 6-3 Road Trip? Given what kind of a road club they were to start this year ... this is great.

Now, it's back home for a key 7 game home stand before facing the likes of Tampa Bay and the Yankees. The Rays, meanwhile have Boston tonight ... then 4 against Cleveland at home ... and 4 on the road against Toronto before they face us. It sure would be nice to put some distance between us and the Rays before facing them next Friday (8/18).

Oh ... and NOW we are officially the 2nd Wild Card leaders for the moment. Whooo!! ;)
I just saw that. HEll yeah Ms!

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
The way that the schedule is shaping up, I'd say the remainder of August's games will undoubtedly decide the fate of the Wild Card in the AL -- and I'm not just being Mariner-centric, but I mean for everyone. Let me show you what I mean by comparing the schedules of the top 4 Wild Card competing clubs from August 10 - August 31. I'll highlight what appear to me to be some of the tougher series for each club ...

Mariners ...
Aug 10 - 13 ... 4 games Home vs. Angels (57-58 overall ... they are 2 games back of the M's)
Aug 14 - 16 ... 3 games Home vs. Orioles (56-58 overall ... they are 2.5 games back of the M's)

Aug 18 - 20 ... 3 games @Tampa Bay (58-57 overall ... they are 1 game back of the M's)
Aug 21 - 23 ... 3 games @ Atlanta (51-61 overall)
Aug 25 - 27 ... 3 games @ NY Yankees (60-52 overall ... they are #1 Wild Card team)
Aug 28 - 30 ... 3 games @ Baltimore (56-58 overall ... they are 2.5 games back of the M's)

That upcoming road series is going to be tough for the M's with Tampa Bay and NY Yankees on tap. But before you think that the M's are the only ones with a tough upcoming schedule, just consider the other clubs for a second.

Yankees ...
Aug 10 ... 1 game @Toronto (53-60 overall)
Aug 11 -13 ... 3 games Home vs. Boston (65-49 overall ... they are #1 in the AL East)
Aug 14 - 15 ... 2 games Home vs. NY Mets (50-61 overall)
Aug 16 - 17 ... 2 games @NY Mets (50-61 overall)
Aug 18 - 20 ... 3 games @Boston (65-49 overall ... they are #1 in the AL East)
Aug 22 - 24 ... 3 games @Detroit (52-61 overall)
Aug 25 - 27 ... 3 games Home vs. Seattle (59-56 overall ... they are #2 Wild Card team)
Aug 28 - 30 ... 3 games Home vs. Cleveland (60-51 overall ... they are #1 in AL Central)
Aug 31 - Sept 3 ... 4 games Home vs. Boston (65-49 overall ... they are #1 in the AL East)

Tampa Bay ...
Aug 10 - 13 ... 4 games Home vs. Cleveland (60-51 overall ... they are #1 in AL Central)
Aug 14 - 17 ... 4 games @Toronto (53-60 overall)
Aug 18 - 20 ... 3 games Home vs. Seattle (59-56 overall ... they are #2 Wild Card team)
Aug 22 - 24 ... 3 games Home vs. Toronto (53-60 overall)
Aug 25 - 27 ... 3 games @St. Louis (58-56 overall)
Aug 28 - 30 ... 3 games @Kansas City (57-56 overall ... they are 1 game back of the M's)

Kansas City ...
Aug 10 ... 1 game @St. Louis (58-56 overall)
Aug 11 - 13 ... 3 games @Chicago White Sox (43-68 overall)
Aug 14 - 16 ... 3 games @Oakland (50-64 overall)
Aug 18 - 20 ... 3 games Home vs. Cleveland (60-51 overall ... they are #1 in AL Central)
Aug 22 - 24 ... 3 games Home vs. Colorado (65-49 overall ... they are #1 Wild Card in the NL)
Aug 25 - 27 ... 3 games @Cleveland (60-51 overall ... they are #1 in AL Central)
Aug 28 - 30 ... 3 games Home vs. Tampa Bay (58-57 overall ... they are 1 game back of the M's)

In case you missed it, let's put it another way ...

Combined Winning % of Upcoming Opponents ...
Yankees Opponents ... [.511 Winning %]
Tampa Bay Opponents ... [.501 Winning %]
Kansas City Opponents ...[.497 Winning %]
Mariners Opponents ... [.495 Winning %]

The M's have an opportunity here over the course of the next several games to potentially cement themselves firmly in the lead for one of those 2 Wild Card spots. The next 3 weeks could get very interesting here people.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I'm predicting M's get first wild card spot and will host the Angels in the wild card game. Yankees, Rays, Orioles have tough schedules rest of the way. Boston is running away with the division and may even catch Houston for the best AL record. If Cleveland holds onto the division that most likely means they'll take care of business against the Royals and Twins. So count those teams out as well. M's and Angels have the easiest remaining schedules from what I can see. I don't care about Paxton's Cy Young chances anymore. If Boston stays hot it will go to Sale, and you damn well know voters will vote for Sale over Paxton even if it was super close. I love when the Yankees or Red Sox buy an all star pitcher and immediately become a contender *rolls eyes*.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Crizilla":1aha40gn said:
I'm predicting M's get first wild card spot and will host the Angels in the wild card game.

At home would be sweet. Imagining Safeco hosting an actual post-season game, jammed with playoffs-starved fans livelier and louder than they've been in a looooong time. Paxton is now our ace as far as I'm concerned -- he should get the start.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Crizilla":26w5ie22 said:
I'm predicting M's get first wild card spot and will host the Angels in the wild card game. Yankees, Rays, Orioles have tough schedules rest of the way. Boston is running away with the division and may even catch Houston for the best AL record. If Cleveland holds onto the division that most likely means they'll take care of business against the Royals and Twins. So count those teams out as well. M's and Angels have the easiest remaining schedules from what I can see. I don't care about Paxton's Cy Young chances anymore. If Boston stays hot it will go to Sale, and you damn well know voters will vote for Sale over Paxton even if it was super close. I love when the Yankees or Red Sox buy an all star pitcher and immediately become a contender *rolls eyes*.

I don't see us catching the Yanks, but it could happen. I definitely don't see the Yanks falling out of both wildcard spots. They simply have too much talent and made a ton of moves at the deadline. Their bullpen has to be one of the best in MLB. My prediction is how the standings look now, the Yanks get the first wildcard and we get the second one.

Paxton doesn't deserve the Cy Young over Sale right now, probably not even over Kluber. Sale has about 100 more strikeouts than him and has been much more healthy, having about 40 more innings pitched than Paxton. Sale has a WAR of 5, Paxton is at 3.7. Pax has had a great year, but unless something changes in the last month or so, I'd give it to Sale and Kluber over him, possibly even Severino.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
Crizilla":nggd3ect said:

To be fair to the sawxx they traded for Sale. Now they traded Moncada who was a cuban defector who went to the highest bidder. The M's chose not to bid so yes cheap old m's there.

Crizilla

Reaction score
yeah there is a little bias in my prediction, i just wanna see ESPN shit itself if the Yanks miss the playoffs. "Ex Yankee Cano homers at Aaron Judge's All Star Party" is still making me cringe.

Smellyman

Reaction score
Crizilla":3n69839i said:
yeah there is a little bias in my prediction, i just wanna see ESPN shit itself if the Yanks miss the playoffs. "Ex Yankee Cano homers at Aaron Judge's All Star Party" is still making me cringe.

Not crazy though. 2 outings ago Sale was real bad and was lucky the Sox scored like 12 runs for him. Think he gave up 7 earned. Anyway if Pax keeps rolling and Sale has another clunker, it isn't outrageous. He is in the hunt

Bobblehead

Reaction score
They were saying this morning, M's have had the best record since the All Star break and the 2nd best in the AL since May 28th..2nd to the Astros.

Of course they did it through out scoring their opponents despite their record.

The radio guys, Clayton was saying if they can hang on till Sept, they will be in good shape as with the Sept Call up's they will just add mass amount of bull pen help and thus the starters only need 3 innings.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Baseball is not going to give the M's a break.
pectoral injury to Pax?

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2lm9y4um said:
Baseball is not going to give the M's a break.
pectoral injury to Pax?
Yep, left pec strain. It's sad that this team's lifeline basically revolves around Paxton's health.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Well walking the bottom of the order, just didn't work out very well.

Latest posts