2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Crizilla

Reaction score
walking their 9 hole hitter to face trout?

The moment is too big for young Diaz.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Smellyman":3ew630b0 said:
I can't stand Servais.
You and I both. Crazy cause sports talk radio.. Brock n Salk, Chuck n Puck, Dave Softie they all say Servais is the greatest and manager of the year. I think he is clueless and a ra-tard.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sucks to waste a rather good come back and make Boom's game tying homer a moot point.

Seahaaaawks

Reaction score
Sucks a few ways. Angels jump a spot closer. And every time mariner fans get excited, show up to the ball park, it ends in a fatty disappointment. This is a bummer, man

DJ_CJ

Reaction score
Walking 9th batter was awful. But should have been mute point. Terrible missed 3rd strike on batter to make it 1 and 2 with no outs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Considering Paxton's latest injury, this game was devastating. The Angels are hot, catching up and playing their best ball. We're essentially down to zero real starting pitchers given Miranda's fatigue/decline. Might as well just let the starters go only 3-4 innings from here on out and rely on the pen.

And the offense has got to get the bats going earlier at home. There's no reason why at home our O just shuts down against mediocre starting pitching until the 3rd time through the order-if that.

Diaz had his worst game of the year and completely and inexplicably lost his command. Terrible pitch selection to Trout-going up and in with the fastball would've been ideal but threw the slider low and right in his wheelhouse. That's why there's scouting reports.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Trout and Altuve best players in baseball. Of course both are in our division :/

getnasty

Reaction score
Smellyman":2is2coso said:
I can't stand Servais.

What do you want out of the guy? He has us tied for the 2nd wildcard with literally 1.5 starting pitchers on the roster. If even one other starter stayed completely healthy this year were in the lead for 1st wildcard. Something about him i don't love too but give the guy credit for having us where were at considering the injurys.

JGfromtheNW

Reaction score
Man, the injuries to our starters are comical at this point. Paxton out now with a pec strain? Good lawd.

This season has been impressive as far as staying afloat and in the hunt for the wild card, but it's just starting to feel like the starting pitching is too large an obstacle to either A) get in at this point or B) make any noise in the playoffs.

The Boomstick has been fun to watch recently. That's for sure.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
M's pitching staff is too brittle. A bad outing results in an injury every time. This has been a consistent thing all season long.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
getnasty":2jgmagup said:
Smellyman":2jgmagup said:
I can't stand Servais.

What do you want out of the guy? He has us tied for the 2nd wildcard with literally 1.5 starting pitchers on the roster. If even one other starter stayed completely healthy this year were in the lead for 1st wildcard. Something about him i don't love too but give the guy credit for having us where were at considering the injurys.

Agreed. I mean, what more can Servais realistically do in terms of the pitching staff? I suppose he could (and should) at this point go on and get out there on the mound himself ...
servais3.jpg

Crizilla

Reaction score
I thought it was crazy for Minny to sign Colon....

Can we sign 50% of him?

(Bad joke I know)

StoneCold

Reaction score
getnasty":zfxkirmz said:
Smellyman":zfxkirmz said:
I can't stand Servais.

I think he and Dipoto deserve a lot of credit for where we are, but how do you not pull Diaz after the second walk? It was clear he didn't have it last night. Doesn't mean the result wouldn't have been the same, and it's just my opinion, but I was yelling at the tv to pull him.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
StoneCold":3w6jf65z said:
getnasty":3w6jf65z said:
Smellyman":3w6jf65z said:
I can't stand Servais.

I think he and Dipoto deserve a lot of credit for where we are, but how do you not pull Diaz after the second walk? It was clear he didn't have it last night. Doesn't mean the result wouldn't have been the same, and it's just my opinion, but I was yelling at the tv to pull him.

Oh I completely agree with that. My comments were more related to the starting pitching staff -- not the bullpen nor to Diaz specifically.

Diaz clearly had lost his command last night ... and I totally get having confidence in your guy and not wanting to shake his confidence. But at the same time, it was clear that Diaz didn't have it (for whatever reason) ... and at THAT point, IMO you've got to go out there and rescue him for his own good and the overall good of the team. Agreed.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":6vo4q8uv said:
StoneCold":6vo4q8uv said:
getnasty":6vo4q8uv said:
Smellyman":6vo4q8uv said:
I can't stand Servais.

Oh I completely agree with that. My comments were more related to the starting pitching staff -- not the bullpen nor to Diaz specifically.

Diaz clearly had lost his command last night ... and I totally get having confidence in your guy and not wanting to shake his confidence. But at the same time, it was clear that Diaz didn't have it (for whatever reason) ... and at THAT point, IMO you've got to go out there and rescue him for his own good and the overall good of the team. Agreed.
The thing is with Diaz, is that it's painfully obvious if he has his stuff working or not.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Bobblehead":24t86ft0 said:
Hawkscanner":24t86ft0 said:

The thing is with Diaz, is that it's painfully obvious if he has his stuff working or not.

Again, I agree ... but what's not always so obvious (at least it doesn't appear to be to Servais) is how exactly how to handle it when he doesn't.

I mean, with some guys, they're resilient. They get it when they know they don't have their stuff and they'll roll with it like water off a duck's back. No big deal.

With other guys though, it'll really shake their confidence and have long term consequences if their skipper does that -- pulls them at a critical juncture. It tends to really mess with their head.

A manager has to play a bit of psychologist and to know who the player is -- what makes him work and to know how and when to push the right buttons.

I dunno. I just hearken back to Lou Piniella and think to myself, "What would Lou do?" He was very good at that actually. I remember hearing former Mariner Brian Holman tell a great story once about how one time, he was out on the mound and kept shaking off seemingly every pitch that Dave Valle called. Lou sauntered on out to the mound, wanting to know, "What's going on son?" He ended up telling Holman that he (Lou) would call every pitch from the dugout. He'd signal in to Valle to let him know what pitch he wanted Holman to throw. Holman was fine with that ... and on his way back to the dugout, he quietly told Valle, "Hey, just call your game." [with a wink] That ended up being one of Holman's better outings.

Point being, you've got to know who your pitcher is and what makes him tick. Last night, I'm thinking Sweet Lou would have waddled out to the mound, given Diaz a pat on the butt, asked for the ball with a smile, and simply said, "It's alright. It happens to everyone." That's what I would have done. In the end, you can't sacrifice what's best for the team for the sake of 1 guy.

sutz

Reaction score
I was worried about Diaz Wed night. I didn't think he should have gone in against the A's, just because I was worried how it would affect him against the Angels. Now, after almost 60 pitches in 3 days, he's probably not available until Sunday.

:34853_doh:

Chapow

Reaction score
sutz":1phoywqe said:
I was worried about Diaz Wed night. I didn't think he should have gone in against the A's, just because I was worried how it would affect him against the Angels. Now, after almost 60 pitches in 3 days, he's probably not available until Sunday.

:34853_doh:

That might not be a bad thing at this point. That was a pretty horrendous showing last night and a pretty big let down for the team right after the heroics by Segura, Cano, and Cruz to tie the game.

I'm feeling pretty OK about not seeing Diaz for a day or two.

Latest posts