2017 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
We just don't have a sustainable product. A gritty team but too many pitching injuries and a sporadic offense, particularly at home, will define the 2017 chapter.

sutz

Reaction score
Pretty pathetic to get swept by the Angels on Martinez weekend.

I know, it hasn't happened yet, but even if we win the getaway game, what real difference will it make? I hate the Angels.

:34853_doh:

hawkfan68

Reaction score
DiPoto failed the team on starting pitching. He didn't have a strategy to get quality after the Smyly, Felix, Kuma, and Paxton went down. Even with them healthy, the pitching has been average at best all year. For the improved hitting that has happened, the overall pitching has gone wayside. That's why they will end up with a worse record than last year. Good pitching beats good hitting most of the time. Currently, they don't have a starting pitcher that can be relied on to go more than 5 innings. That's a lot of pressure on the bullpen. No wonder they can't keep leads, etc. The relievers are overworked and have nothing left.

getnasty

Reaction score
Threedee":241ynb7f said:
Any particular reason why Erasmo, with only 85 pitches, couldn't go one more inning?

I think he was pitching long relief before we traded for him so his arm isn't ready for 100 pitches yet. My guess is next start he'll probably be able to throw 95. If there was a bright spot from yesterday he looked good. Have to think Phelps probably would have been pitching instead of Lawrence yesterday if he was healthy, When it rains it pours.

Chapow

Reaction score
I wonder how many GM's have a strategy for "getting quality" when 80% of the starting rotation goes down repeatedly and for extended periods?

sutz

Reaction score
Chapow":1lamunv1 said:
I wonder how many GM's have a strategy for "getting quality" when 80% of the starting rotation goes down repeatedly and for extended periods?
Doesn't account for the bats going ice cold 3 times a week. :34853_doh:

Crizilla

Reaction score
Our 3rd base coach is a joke. Seeing him send alonso live in person was hilarious.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1zekprtd said:
Just 13 runs scored in 4 games at home. The collapse continues.

This team continues to find new and more painful ways to lose. This time it was "get all the way up to the WC spot, then have a huge homestand crowd due to number retiring, get actual quality pitching from your crap sp. only to blow it via Pen and defensive blunders"

sutz

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3g2gbb37 said:
West TX Hawk":3g2gbb37 said:
Just 13 runs scored in 4 games at home. The collapse continues.

This team continues to find new and more painful ways to lose. This time it was "get all the way up to the WC spot, then have a huge homestand crowd due to number retiring, get actual quality pitching from your crap sp. only to blow it via Pen and defensive blunders"
Don't forget the bone headed gaffes running the bases. :34853_doh:

This was, without a doubt, the most disappointing weekend of Mariners 'baseball' this season.

:(

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
The Mariners added some triple-digit heat Monday to their bullpen by recalling right-hander Thyago Vieira from Triple-A Tacoma prior to their series opener against Baltimore at Safeco Field.

Vieira, 24, compiled a 3.18 ERA in seven outings for the Rainiers following a July 19 promotion from Double-A Arkansas, where he was 2-3 with a 3.72 ERA 29 games.

"Oh, yeah, I’m ready," Vieira said. "If the guys call you up, you have to be ready. When you have an opportunity, you have to prepare yourself for it. I’ve been ready of this moment. I have to show that right now."

The Mariners cleared space for Vieira by optioning veteran right-hander Christian Bergman to Tacoma after Sunday’s 4-2 loss to the Los Angeles Angels.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/ml ... 72302.html

Smellyman

Reaction score
I have a self imposed viewing ban. They are just too infuriating to watch.

Smellyman

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":1i8hx38q said:
2nd inning and this one is over already. This team has given up.

Glad I have a viewing ban on.

Team place like their manager....Passive and dumb.

Crizilla

Reaction score
I'm not watching anymore either. I still don't agree with many of Servais' decisions this season but right now the injury bug is just too much. I have a feeling the offense mentally isn't there because they know just as well as we do that they're gonna have to put up some serious crooked numbers to compete. Go Seahawks

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
It's been years since I've seen a team just outright shit on itself and choke away a playoff berth in less than a week. Injuries or not, they're playing like a 100 loss team right now. Worst homestand in no telling how long.

Storts

Reaction score
Chapow":3pn2zmzn said:

You mean like when Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Tropeano all go down at once?

The one team the M's can't use the excuse of pitching injuries against is the Angels. Rotation decimated, top bullpen pieces also injured. Trout out for 2 months. Yet still kept themselves around - with some great pickups. Dipoto is an awful GM and no doubt people will realise this soon enough. Servais just a yes man

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Storts":20ih4ecb said:
Chapow":20ih4ecb said:

You mean like when Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Shoemaker and Tropeano all go down at once?

The one team the M's can't use the excuse of pitching injuries against is the Angels. Rotation decimated, top bullpen pieces also injured. Trout out for 2 months. Yet still kept themselves around - with some great pickups. Dipoto is an awful GM and no doubt people will realise this soon enough. Servais just a yes man

Except the Mariners were equally decimated and also hung around through it all, when most of the team came back they got themselves into a wild card spot, and then everyone got hurt again. 5 games ago this team had sole posession of a wildcard spot. I think this 2nd round of injuries may ruin their heart though.