2017 to be Pete Carroll's Get It Done or Move On Season?

Hyak

Reaction score
RiverDog":1209jp7g said:
I fall in between the thinking of Nash/semiahmoo and the Kool Aid drinkers.

The past two editions of the Seahawks were not nearly as good as the 2012-2014 editions. The defense isn't nearly as dominating, we don't have Beast, the offensive line is much worse, and Russell seems to have hit a plateau. You can cite what ever reasons you like, but those are for the most part universally agreed on (except some might question the Russell part).

Where I disagree is the amount of blame attributed to Pete and the comparison to the Patriots. The Patriots are in a league by themselves, and it's not fair to any team to be compared to them. They are an anomaly. It would be better to compare us to teams like the Broncos or Packers that always seem to be in the mix but have won just one SB in the past 15 years or so. We have been in a bit of a funk the past two seasons, but our core is still solid. We need a tune up, not a complete overhaul.

Thankfully we haven't had years where we completely tanked, like the Panthers did this season. But I'm not satisfied. Pete has spoiled me. I expect Super Bowl teams, not playoff teams.

I think I'm pretty closely aligned to this view of Seahawk world. The talent on the 2015 and 2016 teams was noticeably weaker IMO than 2012-2014. The cumulative FA losses and poor drafts in 2013/2014 had a real effect on the quality of depth. The 2013/2014 teams didn't really have a glaring weakness per se but the injuries caught up to them in SB XLIX on defense that certainly contributed to blowing a 10 point lead in the 4th quarter.

I see the actions of PC/JS addressing the roster holes. They know that the OL play and RB situation last year wasn't good enough. Likewise, they know Terrell was not good enough in place of ET and that the backend of the roster was not anywhere near the level it was in the SB seasons. It was apparent early on that the Seahawks had significant holes on their team. Having Wilson injured from week 1 on and then losing ET for an extended time simply sealed that fate.

As for wallowing in the end of SB XLIX, it will be a shame in letting that define this era of Hawks football (the best one in franchise history) and the irony is that they have the ability to move on from it if they choose too.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
nash72":1jgkbalt said:
MontanaHawk05":1jgkbalt said:
Seattle won as many games as Green Bay and was one missed kick away from winning as many as Atlanta. Atlanta and Green Bay were good, but thinking they were out of our reach in order to justify demands for a coaching change? You're going off sentiment, dude. Sentiment and frustration.

They both handed us our worse beatings in years. Next.

You're more shell-shocked over those two games than anyone in the Seahawks organization or amongst its fan base. It's just...weird. Every team loses games. The Patriots get shut out by Buffalo every once in a while. We almost lost to the winless Buccaneers in our Super Bowl season. You're reading way too much into those two games, and just completely dismissing any role that Earl Thomas' injury might have played in it. It is bizarre to conclude that losing the best safety in the game against two top-tier passers would have no effect.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Holy crap Nash, you make Debbie Downer and Glum seem like positive people. Do you have anything good to say about the team? Ever?

Josea16

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1jm11dh3 said:
Holy crap Nash, you make Debbie Downer and Glum seem like positive people. Do you have anything good to say about the team? Ever?
No. I think he's trolling on purpose. Some people thrive on misery because you know the saying....

Anybody that was a fan before 2010 should know exactly the same because if you were a Seahawk fan before then you know all about BAD front and center. It's fact we have issues, it's fact our 2016 OL was horrifyingly bad. It's fact Wilson was pretty ordinary in 2016.

But it's also fact we picked up several high upside no risk young veteran NFL players in the positions where we have issues, it's fact the draft is loaded exactly at the positions we need to reload at and we're well positioned to do so, it's fact Wilson had multiple injuries of at least one should have had him sitting on the bench for around 4 weeks yet he stayed in and battled and was STILL middle of the pack and got us in the playoffs and won a game with no run game, Lockett and Thomas out and a FG kicker with no confidence.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
No doubt, a whole lotta bad years. I remember going to my first game back in 79. This has been one hell of a run since Pete got here. I guess the fans have become spoiled, it happens. Speaking of bad, my first year of Season Tickets was 1993. Right after the 2-14 season. Omg, they were so bad. :mrgreen:
It was pretty easy to get tix back then.
Or the 1985, 8-8 season where the won 2, lost 2, won 2, lost 2 etc. throughout the entire season. The ultimate in Mediocre. And that was coming off the 12-4 season. And nobody will forget the one season under Mora(n)
ouch

Josea16

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":39dt08hd said:
No doubt, a whole lotta bad years. I remember going to my first game back in 79. This has been one hell of a run since Pete got here. I guess the fans have become spoiled, it happens. Speaking of bad, my first year of Season Tickets was 1993. Right after the 2-14 season. Omg, they were so bad. :mrgreen:
I tried not to watch then because I was living in San Francisco at the time(1993) and was in Europe and the Middle East in the middle-late 1980's and early 1990's working for the DOD. I had a unique opportunity back when I was young and took it.

Don't tell me about bad. I pretty much expected the Seahawks to do the Baltimore/Cleveland/Houston thing until Paul bought the team and Holmgren brought us out of the desert like Moses(the guy in the Bible not our Moses).;)

And that Mora year? That kind of team for 2-3 years? Now Nash would make sense. That team and situation almost made me quit being a Seahawks fan... almost.

A-Dog

Reaction score
A-Dog":1t0g6i72 said:
It's not Pete's "get it done" season.

It's the farewell tour for the core players on our defense before they break up the band:

Kam
Sherm
Earl
KJ
Avril
Rubin
Bennett
BWags

After this year there will be some hard decisions on what to do with these guys, starting with Kam.

yep

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Wow, I just read this whole post and its weird how this stuff played out. Not sure I can really disagree with this Nash and Semiahoo guy. What they were spewing kind of looks like the case now.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is sad to see Seahawk fans sniping at each other on this.

That said, I cannot wait to see Carroll gone.

He should never have to buy a beer in this town, ever. I will always cherish that SB. But his brand of football is old, tired and dated. And my god is it terrible, terrible football. When the Seahawks were worse at least they TRIED. Now we play this weird game of bleeding the clock unless we get behind. We keep forcing ourselves to do things we are terrible at, square pegs in round holes. We don't even bother with much of an offense for full halves.

It is garbage football to the point I cannot watch it.

Meanwhile Carroll is a fount of nepotism and favortism.

All this works while you are producing, but he isn't. This is a team with the talent to AT LEAST have been competitive in divisional or conference championship games (or was). And yet since that SB, it has been a glorified Wildcard team that gets shelled in any game above that level.

By any standard, with this many HOF and above average players on the team - that is underperforming. Now, some of that might have been Bevell but it was Pete's job to make sure his people did theirs. He did not do his job.

He got us one SB win. But we should have been competitive in at least more divisional or conference games.

Yes, we will be worse when he leaves. But the longer he stays the longer we will be on this treadmill getting worse until we can finally get good again. All we are doing is prolonging the downslide in keeping him.

We will see if he can prove me wrong but he has a pretty defined track record of what happens when he suddenly does not have better players than the other teams. I would love to be wrong, but I'm doubting it. It was a great ride, but you know - What Have You Done For Me Lately?

We have one chance, if we can find someone that can harness what Wilson provides and build a way to win leveraging that. That won't be Carroll and we need someone here that can before Wilson gets slower and no longer is the threat he can be now.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I can see both sides of it. He's a hell of a coach, not sure why the hate, but this revamp/rebuild or whatever you want to call it was bound to happen. Will be interesting to see what happens. I get a feeling he's going to retire in 1 or 2 years anyway.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I disagree that he is a hell of a coach.

What he is good at is identifying potential and extracting it from people. He is amazing at that.

And it can really offset the weaknesses, which are numerous. When combined with good strategy guys like a Quinn or a Chow, he can be a juggernaut until they are removed.

And it isn't hate so much as tremendous disappointment.

Carroll with good assistants can be the greatest coach in the NFL. Because he can push people to realize what he sees in them. But without the ability to load the team with athletes that can simple outdo the other team or the ability to find assistants that can capitalize on those strengths while mitigating the weaknesses?

He is doomed to underperform vs expectations considering his roster strength. His time at USC showed that and it was clearly mirrored here. It does not help that he loads the FO with family & friends either.

Eventually, you end up making lots of excuses for why they fell short. But the reality is, with the strength come these very defined weaknesses. Without people on staff to offset them? This is a team that will tempt you more with potential than results.

The Perfect Storm was the SB year. Quinn took Bradley's defense and made it even more dangerous. Our HOF quality guys were at their prime too though. (All on defense with the exception of Lynch). But without a team that literally historic, he wasn't going to win another.

And the litmus test was never SB wins, it was the # of times this team fell short in the playoffs. Those were many and in some instances, hard to make excuses for. That much talent on supposedly that great of a team which supposedly a great coach should never REGULARLY get blown out in the playoffs like that.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He has more than proven he is a hell of a coach. Your opinion is what it is. And that's ok. Agree to disagree.