2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
There is some magic going on in Oakland, they basically won the game on their last out of the game. At least the Mariners get to play the Rangers to finish the season.

Nice win today. Classic Leake. Everyone talks about LeBlanc because he is the feel good story or Marco because of his transformation, but Leake gets very little attention. He just goes out and gets the job done. I didn't watch the game, but sounds like Servais yanked him pretty early. Gordon needs to clean up his fielding, that is now two games in a row that his error led to a run. At least he won't have to pitch against the Angels, that team has him figured out.

Oakland will cool off at some point, just need to weather the storm for now.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":2zvr2w68 said:
There is some magic going on in Oakland, they basically won the game on their last out of the game. At least the Mariners get to play the Rangers to finish the season.

Nice win today. Classic Leake. Everyone talks about LeBlanc because he is the feel good story or Marco because of his transformation, but Leake gets very little attention. He just goes out and gets the job done. I didn't watch the game, but sounds like Servais yanked him pretty early. Gordon needs to clean up his fielding, that is now two games in a row that his error led to a run. At least he won't have to pitch against the Angels, that team has him figured out.

Oakland will cool off at some point, just need to weather the storm for now.

This. I agree oakland will cool off. If not? They win AL west.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
M's traded for Sam Tuivailala of the STL Cardinals. He's a bullpen guy who can be used against righties. We gave up minor leaguer Seth Elledge. His numbers look good, and if we can't get a starter, we can always shorten the innings of the starters by adding to the bullpen.

Big series against the Angels, hopefully we can win it. Really glad Leake doesn't have to face them as they have hit him the last two times they faced him.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":8o1l7yxo said:
M's traded for Sam Tuivailala of the STL Cardinals. He's a bullpen guy who can be used against righties. We gave up minor leaguer Seth Elledge. His numbers look good, and if we can't get a starter, we can always shorten the innings of the starters by adding to the bullpen.

Big series against the Angels, hopefully we can win it. Really glad Leake doesn't have to face them as they have hit him the last two times they faced him.
Hopefully he will take Nicasio’s place. No reason that turd is still on the team.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2iqo5jbq said:
Hawk-Lock":2iqo5jbq said:

Hopefully he will take Nicasio’s place. No reason that turd is still on the team.
I've been hoping for his death knell with this team for what seems like forever. I will be shocked if this latest blown game will be it. I've lost the faith.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
Tuivailala is a nice pickup. Mid 90s arm, 74 innings 3.03 era. Should be a good 7th inning option.

And there's nothing more that can be said about Nicasio other than if we come up a game or 2 short for the WC, remember this game and Jerry's refusal to release him and SS still using him in pressure situations ...and keeping Felix in the rotation. Much rather see Elias at this point with Pax coming back.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
I know people have whipping boys and its the Healy and Nicasio types this yr. How about Hanigar sucking for a month plus and doing nothing but rolling the ball over? How about dee who cost us the game as much as Nicasio did last night?

Nicasio has been good in 75% of his games. Its the games he struggles in that he gives up big runs. Im not excusing him but people dont complain on other players.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
Really tough game to lose last night. I don't think we expected them to throw to second. Dee broke a little late and it probably cost him. At least we played it aggressive. But we still left too many on base. I think the inning before that we had runners on first and second with no outs and couldn't even move them. Angels seem like that team that has our number. At least Oakland and Houston lost, but that would have been a great opportunity to pick up a game on each.

Why does Servais continue to pitch Nicasio in pressure situations? Dipoto needs to just own his mistake and get rid of him, especially with the trade we made yesterday.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2ymhkzp5 said:
I know people have whipping boys and its the Healy and Nicasio types this yr. How about Hanigar sucking for a month plus and doing nothing but rolling the ball over? How about dee who cost us the game as much as Nicasio did last night?

Nicasio has been good in 75% of his games. Its the games he struggles in that he gives up big runs. Im not excusing him but people dont complain on other players.
Nicasio’s ERA is almost 6, he has cost his team 5 games. No amount of spin is going to change that.
All of his pitches are flat and are easy for a MLB caliber hitter to Tee off of, and they do.

No one is excusing other players and their slumps, so let go of that strawman please.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":atw45fgt said:
Shanegotyou11":atw45fgt said:

Nicasio’s ERA is almost 6, he has cost his team 5 games. No amount of spin is going to change that.
All of his pitches are flat and are easy for a MLB caliber hitter to Tee off of, and they do.

No one is excusing other players and their slumps, so let go of that strawman please.

Yep and hanigar has cost us that many if not more. He has won games as well. Dee has cost us multiple games and has a terrible risp late in games. Lets see, Nick Vincent era in high leverage moments is garbage and has cost us multiple games too.

I dont need to spin anything. When Nicasio is bad, he is bad. Last 16 appearances he has allowed 14 runs. That is horrible. However take away the Boston crap fest of 5 runs and 4 run crap fest vs houston. Thatd be 14 innings of 5 ers. Thats an era under 4. So what i stated is factual and not a spin. When he has been bad, he is atrocious but more times he is a competent reliever.

Nick vincent last 16 appearances (less innings though at 13) and allowed 10 runs. You take away his crap innings vs Boston(shocker) and Detroit and his relief looks better with 11innings at 5 runs, so his era is under 4. Now nick Vincent overall era is way better but in high leverage moments his era is that of Nicasio now. So they both have cost us but for whatever reason, the team rather would have Nicasio still.

How about Hanigar this whole month? We are talking about Healy and zunino( Zunino defense kicks mitch defense all over). Mitch is batting .200 and has 1 homerun and 5 RBI's. Risp this month is .180. This has cost us wins at the 3 spot.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Mike zunino has as many homeruns as mitch this month.

Ryon Healy? He is batting .242 with 5 homeruns and 14 RBI's.

So Mitch at the 3 hole has cost us enough wins as well. Its a team sport. Some players are better and some are worse. Has mitch won us games? Hell yea. My point is the reason we are sucking this month is as much on Mitch or Dee as anyone else but they get passes.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":zt1f1ia9 said:

So Mitch at the 3 hole has cost us enough wins as well. Its a team sport. Some players are better and some are worse. Has mitch won us games? Hell yea. My point is the reason we are sucking this month is as much on Mitch or Dee as anyone else but they get passes.

Oh Lordy! Stop, just stop, LOL.
You are in love with small sample sizes and cherry picking stats to fit your narrative.
No one is arguing that Haniger, Gordon, and the offense is struggling big time right now, so put away that strawman.
The offense including HANIGER and GORDON and everyone else are the reason for the slide, but speaking of free passes, why are you so blindly giving one to Nicasio? Is he a family member or a friend???

Let me ask you this...... and answer this honestly, without a preamble.

Who’s having the worst SEASON so far, Gordon, Haniger, or Nicasio???

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":msdh6fv0 said:
Shanegotyou11":msdh6fv0 said:

You are in love with small sample sizes and cherry picking stats to fit your narrative.
No one is arguing that Haniger, Gordon, and the offense is struggling big time right now, so put away that strawman.
The offense including HANIGER and GORDON and everyone else are the reason for the slide, but speaking of free passes, why are you so blindly giving one to Nicasio? Is he a family member or a friend???

Nicasio is. Nope Nicasio is a nobody to me but a player on the team i root for. Just like any mariner or seahawk. Nobody is cherry picking stats though lol. The team is having a poor month of july. All over Twitter or on here its about Healy, nicasio or scott. Just like you said Nicasio has cost us 5 games. Its true. Its also true how poor hanigar has been since mid june. Its also true that Healy who ppl cry about is doing damn good in july.

And You and I both know certain players get passes when they are sucking. On our team its Dee and Mitch at the forefront. I mean people want Healy gone so bad they say Vogelbach would be better at first. Its what it is.

I only trust Diaz out of the pen this yr. Im starting to trust colome as his only crap games were at TB for most part. Pazos im trusting more and more too. Those are the 3 i trust. The rest? Nope. Thats including Nicasio.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Nicasio hasn't been our best bullpen guy. It is also a fact that the offense is below average. Worst offense in the AL West. This latest slide is mainly due to lack of runs. All this data is declassified. The only teams the M's have scored more runs than are the White Sox, Tigers, Orioles, and Royals.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":2bzenybu said:
Sports Hernia":2bzenybu said:
Shanegotyou11":2bzenybu said:

Nicasio is. Nope Nicasio is a nobody to me but a player on the team i root for. Just like any mariner or seahawk. Nobody is cherry picking stats though lol. The team is having a poor month of july. All over Twitter or on here its about Healy, nicasio or scott. Just like you said Nicasio has cost us 5 games. Its true. Its also true how poor hanigar has been since mid june. Its also true that Healy who ppl cry about is doing damn good in july.

And You and I both know certain players get passes when they are sucking. On our team its Dee and Mitch at the forefront. I mean people want Healy gone so bad they say Vogelbach would be better at first. Its what it is.

I only trust Diaz out of the pen this yr. Im starting to trust colome as his only crap games were at TB for most part. Pazos im trusting more and more too. Those are the 3 i trust. The rest? Nope. Thats including Nicasio.
You are cherry picking..........

Any person that knows anything about baseball doesn’t think that V-back is a better option than Healy.
Healy is a hot and cold hitter. He will produce in spurts and slump in longer spurts. He is a good player defensively.

V-back is a AAAA player that has no value IMHO, he is a SLUG on the basepths, he has no range defensively, and rarely makes contact. We already have 4 players with contact problems.. Z, Seager, Hereida (sp?) and Healy. V-back is arguably worse than all of those with the exception of Z.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
If this team is serious about making the playoffs, please replace Felix. Of our active pitchers on our team, his WAR is only better than Nicasio. Nice to see Cruz hitting again.