2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
It's no secret that I'm not a Nicasio fan at all. So it didn't surprise me at all. That being said, some of those pitches were actually really good, they just did something with them. Solid hitters on that team.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Nicasio must be the unluckiest pitcher in the league then. :sarcasm_off: A 5.34 era kind of sucks regardless of how it’s spun.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
I agree with what is being said in here in defense of Nicasio. If you look at those pitches, they were well located. You just got to tip your hat to the Astros for those hits. However, I probably would have pulled him after the Springer double. At some point, Servais needs to go to another pitcher, regardless if the pitches were well located or not.

I'll take a split with the Astros. Also, that relay with Haniger, Dee and Seager to throw out Kemp at third was great.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2t4q7n35 said:
Nicasio must be the unluckiest pitcher in the league then. :sarcasm_off: A 5.34 era kind of sucks regardless of how it’s spun.
It's really incomplete to use ERA alone to judge a pitcher. What people are trying to explain about Nicasio is that, yeah, earlier in the year he was bad (which ballooned his era). He was throwing 90-92 MPH and either couldn't find the strike zone or was serving up center-cut meatballs. However, since he's turned things around he's back up to 96 MPH and hitting his spots pitching around the plate not right now the middle. There's been a change that is obvious and has been effective. He's not going to be perfect, as no one will be over the course of the season. Diaz has 3 blown saves himself, and that's not counting games he's come in during a tie or 1 run down and given up runs. Nicasio is one of the better pitchers in the bullpen when he's right and he's been right much more than he's been off lately.

sutz

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":1etkc1e2 said:
I agree with what is being said in here in defense of Nicasio. If you look at those pitches, they were well located. You just got to tip your hat to the Astros for those hits. However, I probably would have pulled him after the Springer double. At some point, Servais needs to go to another pitcher, regardless if the pitches were well located or not.

I'll take a split with the Astros. Also, that relay with Haniger, Dee and Seager to throw out Kemp at third was great.
I was also kind of surprised that they didn't try any high heat. Fastballs at the top of the zone might have been a nice alternative to those sliders.

:229031_shrug:

Atradees

Reaction score
I liked that we were competitive with the world champs. In the end Cruz at the plate with two on for the win? I like those odds.

Ruminator

Reaction score
Been watching Healy closely the last few series. While it seems in most games he doesn't have to handle as many missiles hit right at him as do the other infielders, I love his obvious focus and intensity making sure he takes care of what he's supposed to take care of defensively at first base. And that catch of the short pop-up foul 3 or so games ago that most teams would've just let go foul being essentially between home and first, when I saw him do it, it didn't surprise me at all. He reminds me of... Earl Thomas, in a way.

sutz

Reaction score
Ruminator":2bvj32hn said:
Been watching Healy closely the last few series. While it seems in most games he doesn't have to handle as many missiles hit right at him as do the other infielders, I love his obvious focus and intensity making sure he takes care of what he's supposed to take care of defensively at first base. And that catch of the short pop-up foul 3 or so games ago that most teams would've just let go foul being essentially between home and first, when I saw him do it, it didn't surprise me at all. He reminds me of... Earl Thomas, in a way.
Leake's game is based on not letting hitters get solid wood on the ball. Outstanding performance tonight.

I think our bullpen is not getting enough work lately. They're not coming out of the pen very sharp. We need a "bullpen" night.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Servias has got to be quicker with the hook with the game on the line when the pitcher is getting hit. He’s lucky he’s got a gold glove 3rd baseman who made a great play on the last play of the game.

Leake pitched great. Haniger and Segura has great games with the sticks, and Gordon and Seager with the gloves.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Heredia is struggling. Span is playing great. Maybe time for a little more Gamel. I gotta catch a game this summer.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Crizilla":2i9udqst said:
Heredia is struggling. Span is playing great. Maybe time for a little more Gamel. I gotta catch a game this summer.

Was thinking the same last night. Heredia has dropped to a mid 2 batting average from .300. Span to center and Gamel to LF for a few games.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":b1onxjvm said:
Servias has got to be quicker with the hook with the game on the line when the pitcher is getting hit. He’s lucky he’s got a gold glove 3rd baseman who made a great play on the last play of the game.

Leake pitched great. Haniger and Segura has great games with the sticks, and Gordon and Seager with the gloves.

All that Colomé business happened too quickly to get another arm warmed up in time. Díaz was up by the time the bases were loaded and then the bases clearing double happened. Servais didn't have an option.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
sutz":2430plcq said:
Ruminator":2430plcq said:
Leake's game is based on not letting hitters get solid wood on the ball. Outstanding performance tonight.

I think our bullpen is not getting enough work lately. They're not coming out of the pen very sharp. We need a "bullpen" night

Bold for emphasis. This statement is very accurate. Shortest outing from a SP lately was 6 & 2/3, I believe.

Hawk-Lock

Reaction score
That is a pretty big hit to the bullpen. Didn't get to watch a lot of the game yesterday, but it sounds like Leake pithced great. Would like to see Servais have a quicker leash with relievers who clearly don't have it. It was pretty apparent Nicasio didn't have it two days ago, and I'm guessing it was pretty clear Colome didn't have it yesterday.

DJrmb

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":1ktd4nun said:
Crizilla":1ktd4nun said:

Was thinking the same last night. Heredia has dropped to a mid 2 batting average from .300. Span to center and Gamel to LF for a few games.
Heredia has the best OBP on the team (372), so he's still contributing even though his hit's have been finding a lot of glove lately. It's not as if he's putting together terrible at bats with 4 strikeouts a night. He's also the best outfield defender on the team. I wouldn't sit him yet, let him work through a mini slump every now and then. Giving him a day off to rest isn't a terrible idea as everyone needs those from time to time but anything that looks like him losing playing time or platooning with Gamel/Span is way overreacting right now I think.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Hawk-Lock":175u89g4 said:
That is a pretty big hit to the bullpen. Didn't get to watch a lot of the game yesterday, but it sounds like Leake pithced great. Would like to see Servais have a quicker leash with relievers who clearly don't have it. It was pretty apparent Nicasio didn't have it two days ago, and I'm guessing it was pretty clear Colome didn't have it yesterday.

What made it apparent that Nicasio didn't have it the other night?

avengerboater

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":2qakpjmx said:
Hawk-Lock":2qakpjmx said:

What made it apparent that Nicasio didn't have it the other night?

Apparently, his swollen knee was the reason why he didn't throw his high heat two nights ago. According to the Seattle Times article detailing the moves, it caused Nicasio a lot of pain whenever he had to push off with his leg, which is every pitch, and that caused him to not have good control of his fastball. Thus, the reason why he was throwing a lot of his off speed stuff and nibbled around the edges of the strike zone. It kinda made sense, since some of us were wondering why he didn't mix in a high fast ball during those 3 hitters that led to his eventual demise.

This is a big blow to our bull pen, but according to Servais, it'll give other guys more playing time (ala Elias). We're getting Vincent back any day now, but he's not exactly clutch in high leverage situations, imo. Let's hope Nicasio and Altavilla come back soon, especially with Boston and NYY coming up. The Angels are no slouch, but they're kinda banged up right now.

Latest posts