28-0, 14-0, 20-0, 9-0 and 31-0.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Optimus25":bom1lhyu said:
AgentDib":bom1lhyu said:
Here are our 12 playoff first half/second half splits under Pete sorted by start time.

@Panthers: 0-31 first half, 24-0 second half (10am)
@Vikings: 0-3 first half, 10-6 second half (10am)
@Falcons: 0-20 first half, 28-10 second half (10am)
@Bears: 0-21 first half, 24-14 second half (10am)
Packers: 0-16 first half, 22-6 second half (12pm)
Saints: 16-0 first half, 7-15 second half (1pm)
@Redskins: 13-14 first half, 11-0 second half (1pm)
Saints: 24-20 first half, 16-17 second half (1pm)
Patriots: 14-14 first half, 10-14 second half (3pm)
Broncos: 22-0 first half, 21-8 second half (3pm)
Panthers: 14-10 first half, 17-7 second half (5pm)
49ers: 3-10 first half, 20-7 second half (6pm)

Anything jump off the page at you? In games played at 1 pm PST or later we have outscored our opponents 106-68 in the first half. OTOH in games starting before 1pm we have been outscored 0-91 in the first half.

Wow.

Just. Wow.
When are people going to start realizing what a huge negative this is. More facts showing it's true right here. Yes, Hawks (or any other western team) needs HFA to even the playing field against Central and Eastern Time Zone teams. But they shouldn't have to because Eastern and Central Time Zone teams don't have to have HFA to ensure a game at a decent body clock time. The NFL could change the start times for all games involving Pacific and Mountain Time Zone teams but so far has refused to do so. I am convinced they want it this way and it's bullshit.

White Devil

Reaction score
How have you guys missed what MRob has to say on the subject? This is from someone that has actually been in the locker room. The problem is horrible game prep/plan by Bevell.

Here's the question that was asked

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sanchezbrad/status/688835745398689792[/tweet]

and MRob's answer is -

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RealMikeRob/status/688836117546831872[/tweet]

Seems to me that when adjustments are needed, the team looks to Cable to make the changes for the 2nd half. I know it's going to break some poster's little hearts around here, but the problem is Bev's. That simple reply from a former player should be all you need to know.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
White Devil":2lkohvbn said:
Seems to me that when adjustments are needed, the team looks to Cable to make the changes for the 2nd half. I know it's going to break some poster's little hearts around here, but the problem is Bev's. That simple reply from a former player should be all you need to know.

IMO it's not Cable, it's Pete and John RELYING on Cable to make chicken salad out of chicken $#@! in order to save money and draft picks.

Cable's a great O-line coach, but holy crap give him something to work with. Stop relying on him to be a miracle worker.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
AgentDib":3cohiqjl said:
In games played at 1 pm PST or later we have outscored our opponents 106-68 in the first half. OTOH in games starting before 1pm we have been outscored 0-91 in the first half. This is not a general problem but rather a specific one.

I've always attributed this to the players being sluggish but now you have me wondering if all we need is an OC that drinks coffee?

chiltech500

Reaction score
It begins and ends with Pete, and I'm a Bevel basher. Don't we all see the same thing at the start of games, conservative unsuccessful run based offense. Later in games when we switch to wide open mode we score. We all saw that when we had no real running back to work with.

This is such a no brainer pattern it has to be Pete's doing or influence.

White Devil

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":kv61hyy2 said:
White Devil":kv61hyy2 said:

IMO it's not Cable, it's Pete and John RELYING on Cable to make chicken salad out of chicken $#@! in order to save money and draft picks.

Cable's a great O-line coach, but holy crap give him something to work with. Stop relying on him to be a miracle worker.

I agree 100%

Ozzy

Reaction score
MRob seems to paint Bevell as the culprit at least on some levels. Can any of the Bevell apologists chime in and tell me why Robinson is wrong? I personally think its a ton of factors but our conservative scripted 15 probably doesn't help. I wish Bevell was a little more creative and less predictable to start games. He's far from the only reason but its a valid criticism imo.

HommyHawk

Reaction score
kearly":n50xy9v3 said:
I feel like every one of these cases can be explained though.

2010: 28-0 vs Chicago.

This was quietly one of the most important Seahawks games ever played, because it taught Pete the value of building a press man coverage scheme. Chicago's DBs pressed and mauled and held Seattle's receivers in a way that would have drawn 15 flags today, but with the emphasis not being there in 2010, they got away with murder and jumped up 28-0 by the time Seattle was able to adjust to it.

A few months later, Pete Carroll drafted Richard Sherman and Byron Maxwell in the late rounds and began copying Chicago's blueprint for press coverage. We all know the results since then.

2012: 14-0 vs Washington.

Washington had two good drives to start the game, and that was it. Seattle adjusted more quickly to the read option in that game than most NFL teams had that season. By halftime, Seattle was barely trailing, 14-13.

The Redskins had won 7 in a row going into that game.

2013: 20-0 vs Atlanta.

10am starts don't actually impact visiting offenses at all, but they do impact defenses. Atlanta connected on some big plays and Seattle's defense got their ass kicked by an old RB who was just about out of the league. The next week, Atlanta played SF at 11am, a full hour later, and jumped out on SF 17-0. 10am starts matter, especially when facing a good offense in their building.

Seattle's offense moved the ball well in the first half, but found ways not to score thanks to a series of ill-timed gaffes by players. When Atlanta ran into their locker room, they couldn't believe they were up 20-0, since yardage wise it was actually a pretty competitive first half.

2015: 9-0 vs Minnesota.

-6 degrees at kickoff. The Vikings got to practice in it all week. Seattle could not. 'Nuff said.

2015: 31-0 vs Carolina.

This was a triple threat scenario. 10 am start vs. an elite offense, horrible field conditions that Seattle couldn't adjust to for almost half a game, and it happened against a 15-1 opponent that got 15 wins by not missing chances like these pretty much ever. Lynch's unfamiliarity with the offense may have contributed to the early pick-six as well.

Carolina seems to rely on momentum more than most teams. So does Seattle. The conditions gave Carolina an opportunity for them to bury Seattle early and they did. And though Wilson is a mentally tough QB, he's as susceptible to bad momentum as anybody.

The one criticism I have for Pete is that his record has shown that Seattle is not a very good team at planning for strange or unusual game situations. This is the one area that I think Bill Belichick separates himself from Pete. Granted, the Pats don't play a ton of road playoff games, but they always looked prepared when they did.
Totally agree.We go into every game playing against ourselves.Coach Carrol trusts our players and gives them a half to get it done if not then we adjust.He is cultivating a culture of championship mentality.This is how you build dynasties boys and girls ,enjoy the ride.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":rfoxbs4c said:
SacHawk2.0":rfoxbs4c said:
This topic is dumb. That has nothing to do with why we fell behind.

The reasons are obvious.

1) Sub-par offensive line that gets exposed against good D-lines.

2) Down field plays, and 5 step drops against those defenses, when you should know better by now.

3) Refusal to adjust the game plan until half time.

You explained one game, I explained ALL the games.............including regular season games where we seemingly always come out flat, predictable and conservative.

If you don't see that, then you're not paying attention. It's real.

What was the Super Bowl scores at half? What about that last game at Arizona? At Cincy? What about big home wins bs San Fran or New Orleans.,, some blowouts some close?

The scenarios seemed cherry picked to me. The 10am thing seems the common denominator

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Uncle Si":95jy9vyt said:
Sgt. Largent":95jy9vyt said:
SacHawk2.0":95jy9vyt said:

The reasons are obvious.

2) Down field plays, and 5 step drops against those defenses, when you should know better by now.

You explained one game, I explained ALL the games.............including regular season games where we seemingly always come out flat, predictable and conservative.

If you don't see that, then you're not paying attention. It's real.

What was the Super Bowl scores at half? What about that last game at Arizona? At Cincy? What about big home wins bs San Fran or New Orleans.,, some blowouts some close?

The scenarios seemed cherry picked to me. The 10am thing seems the common denominator
You are running the risk of being called delusional

Optimus25

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":18nv72tr said:

The reasons are obvious.

But to OP point, why does nothing change?. If it's that obvious, it would seem to be a simple fix. For example, the same subpar offensive line was there in the second half. What changed?

Kearly points to circumstance. Which i see the point, but ultimately I'm with OP. The evidence is too strong and the numbers can't be excused and shushed. Too often we crap the bed out of the gate.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Optimus25":1gpxdeht said:
But to OP point, why does nothing change?. If it's that obvious, it would seem to be a simple fix. For example, the same subpar offensive line was there in the second half. What changed?

Kearly points to circumstance. Which i see the point, but ultimately I'm with OP. The evidence is too strong and the numbers can't be excused and shushed. Too often we crap the bed out of the gate.

Nothing changes because Pete doesn't think it's a problem.

His philosophy is play conservative, see how the game unfolds and then pour it on to finish strong.............and he's won everywhere he's been. So hard to argue that philosophy.

But there's enough body of evidence to show that there's a fatal flaw in his philosophy and stubbornness to change how he coaches up his players and schemes/gameplans, and we saw it in spades yesterday.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2x7fbx7a said:
These are the five road playoff games under Carroll that we've fallen behind on.

Why?

Is it all the rah rah Pete screaming about we can't win games in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd quarter? Is it because Pete preaches it's not about starting, it's about finishing?

Well he's wrong, sometimes you do HAVE to start strong. Can't keep relying on insane come from behind wins because you finally wake up in the 2nd half.

So Pete either needs to figure this out, or change his philosophy of preaching this to his players, because yesterday it bit us in the ass, and it wasn't the first time. It's now a full blown issue.
Didn't help to have two interceptions thrown right from the get-go.
You can't come out cold and spot a 15 & 1 team 14 points....Wilson

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":b0e1ii04 said:
Show me a team, and I'll show you players playing in the mold of their head coach.

Of course it's the players on the field who ultimately are responsible for winning and losing. But that doesn't mean what I'm talking about isn't true.................and there's a 4-5 year history of playing like utter garbage in first halves of regular AND playoff games that prove me right.

That's not the players, it's how the players are coached. It's Pete's philosophy.

Well Sgt Lgt, I'll take Pete's 4-5 year history of playing like utter garbage ALONG WITH his Super Bowl Winning, Playoff records & Philosophy and overall successes since he's come to Seattle over your angst, and it's not even close.

OP
OP
Sgt. Largent

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
scutterhawk":fslgzf3q said:
Sgt. Largent":fslgzf3q said:
Show me a team, and I'll show you players playing in the mold of their head coach.

Of course it's the players on the field who ultimately are responsible for winning and losing. But that doesn't mean what I'm talking about isn't true.................and there's a 4-5 year history of playing like utter garbage in first halves of regular AND playoff games that prove me right.

That's not the players, it's how the players are coached. It's Pete's philosophy.

Well Sgt Lgt, I'll take Pete's 4-5 year history of playing like utter garbage ALONG WITH his Super Bowl Winning, Playoff records & Philosophy and overall successes since he's come to Seattle over your angst, and it's not even close.

I said in the first half.

But yeah, let's just keep stinking in first halves and not worry about it, it worked out fantastic yesterday.

Reaction score
I agree with the op. I get so mad at the one pass two runs punt. It happens all the time. Its gets old real quick. Pretty much every game we start slow. That game was horrible yesterday it hasn't even sunk in yet. We got to start out on fire and remain burning thru the whole game. It got us yesterday we seem so lackadaisical and then we the pressure was on we start playing. This has got to stop this it has become a theme to this team. It we continue to play like this we will continue to have results like we did yesterday in our future.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Its a double-edged sword really. I get the genesis of Pete's idea that games aren't won in the first quarter, and that you don't want your team to believe they are ever out of a game until the clock hits triple zeroes. Without that confidence, we'd never see the comebacks we saw against Washington, Atlanta, San Fran and especially Green Bay. So I mean.. I get it.

Yet at the same point I completely agree with Sgt. Largent that the slow starts on the road go back to coaching. For some reason or another, we just do not come into these games ready to roll. If we played an offense worth a crap in the Wild Card round, that game would have been a lot worse than 9-0 too.

This team needs to be the team that jumps out to big leads and then squeezes the life out of an opponent.. not the other way around.

Will be interesting to see what this does to the team. After 2012, they came back focused and determined to beat everyone in their way and very nearly strung together an 18-1 or 19-0 season.. the talent will be in place.. but will the motivation?

2016 will be a very interesting year of the Carroll era.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Bevel has to go. He absolutely has to.

His philosophy is wrong or he is incompetent.

Few other OCs are so unsuccessful with their scripted plays. If he sets up the plays to see how the other team responds, then by the 2nd quarter we should be rolling. The fact that we often don't move the ball until the 2nd half means that even if there is logic to Bevell's scripted plays (big IF) we are making use of that info too late.

The Seahawks need to figure out what their "base" offense is and build a roster that fits it. We can start the game with it and only adjust out of it as necessary.

It's crazy that they refuse to use their "second half offense" in the first half.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
You are going to have to be willing to fire Pete then. This is his team and it plays in the style (run, run, big pass) that he prefers.

Offensive coordinator be damned. Pete sets the framework.

justafan

Reaction score
These players arent rookies,they are seasoned vets.they dont need pete or anyone telling them they need to match the other teams intensity come playoff time.they know whats going to happen if they think they can step out and win just by taking the field.

The first big run was about executing run fits.the players know.they screwed up.Wilson throws a pick six.The whole first half was a fluke.

The run run pass theory didnt happen yesterday.I wish it would have,maybe we dont commit 2 turnovers.

The panthers came out ready to whoop ass and they found a team that wasnt ready.I would blame the staff if we didnt have such a veteran team but they have nobody to blame but themselves.

Latest posts