2nd Round, Pick #49 Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

mikeak

Reaction score
I think people forget that one reason to rotate at Alabama is because they were loaded with talent. Not sure he would have rotated as much / not rushed the passer more at many other schools

gabel

Reaction score
I was hoping they would take Reed with there first pick.

2 picks 2 big mean dudes.

Next pick a Center??

hawkfan68

Reaction score
bmorepunk":1qtobvhu said:
hawkfan68":1qtobvhu said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1qtobvhu said:
bmorepunk":1qtobvhu said:
I hate this pick. Bad trade value. Arizona picked a much better player. Same exact player as Jeff Feagles.

For those of you that don't understand, bmorepunk is trolling the idiots that were all over the Hawks for trading to 31 and drafting Ifedi yesterday and not draftind Nkedmichke or however the hell you spell it. Well done bmorepunk.

Maybe they'll just keep trolling out of here :)

Gotta keep it light. It got angry for no good reason last night.

Sorry bmorepunk...I tried to delete my post but somebody had already added a post so I wasn't allowed to. I guess it was a mad house here last night...more than usual eh?

McGruff

Reaction score
My quick observations after watching one game against Georgia.

Dude is lower body strong and plays with incredible leverage. He never goes backwards. Like . . . never. Single teams, double teams, nobody moves him. And often he power people back with authority.

You can't run at him. You just can't. Disengages blockers to engulf runners to both his right and left.

Very good snap recognition and explodes off the snap. He's the first guy moving every time.

His arms are short but strong to throw blockers. Often he literally buries his blocker, sometimes after the snap. Borderline personal foul, but I didn't see him get flagged. But he doesn't quit on plays ever.

Doesn't penetrate or shoot the gap. No counters or moves. Straight up bull rusher.

No pass rush to speak of.

Bottom line. 30+ year old Mebane just got upgraded. Seriously. Against the run, this guy is that good.

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkAroundTheClock":2m74rgfp said:
Didn't see his name on anyone's lists around here.

Did I miss it? Or was he not expected to fall this far?

Doesn't fit Seattle's prototype . . . but maybe we need to revisit that prototype.

Chapow

Reaction score
McGruff":20ielrz1 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":20ielrz1 said:

Doesn't fit Seattle's prototype . . . but maybe we need to revisit that prototype.

Also, not much reason to scout guys that have little to no chance of falling to our first pick and damn near everyone thought he would be gone by then.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not a tremendous fan of DTs that cannot get any pass rush at all. I already had enough of that with Rubin last year.

But that is a personal opinion thing, I feel as if it makes it easy for the opposing team to concentrate on the edge rushers then.

But he is a well put together DT that likely has little downside, though probably not a huge amount of upside either.

Feels like we are just filling the gaps instead of shooting for the moon on this one. Hopefully the rest of the draft we start aiming for more guys that have higher risk but higher potential payoff.

And there is always a good chance of being wrong, so I will hope for that.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
McGruff":1h49vvm2 said:
HawkAroundTheClock":1h49vvm2 said:

Seahawks did something we haven't seen them do much take the BPA . It's not surprising this draft has been more conventional . I'm all for taking risks but they needed to draft good solid talent with tools and great physical attributes that can come in and start .

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
Excellent pick great call to move up, had we waited Spriggs, Martin and Whitehair would have been off the board anyways.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the Rams have to be the Happiest team in the West right now, both Seattle and Arizona grab guys that eat RB's.

Chapow

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":26jp2gur said:
Not a tremendous fan of DTs that cannot get any pass rush at all. I already had enough of that with Rubin last year.

But that is a personal opinion thing, I feel as if it makes it easy for the opposing team to concentrate on the edge rushers then.

But he is a well put together DT that likely has little downside, though probably not a huge amount of upside either.

Feels like we are just filling the gaps instead of shooting for the moon on this one. Hopefully the rest of the draft we start aiming for more guys that have higher risk but higher potential payoff.

And there is always a good chance of being wrong, so I will hope for that.

He wasn't asked to rush the passer at Alabama, that doesn't mean that he can't.

Check out the emphasized portion below.

Jazzhawk":26jp2gur said:
From ESPN Draft tracker:

What he brings:
Reed is the best run-stopping defensive tackle in this class. He plays with excellent leverage and has the anchor, along with the upper-body power, to eat up space as a two-gapper at the next level. He shows heavy and active hands discarding blocks when tied up in a phone booth. He doesn't have great production as a pass-rusher, but he wasn't asked to rush the passer within his defensive scheme at Alabama. Reed has shown the ability to push the pocket from the interior. He will instantly upgrade the interior of the defensive line. -- Kevin Weidl

How he fits:
The 19th ranked player on our board and the top available player, Reed is an excellent value. He also fills a need as Seattle needed to add depth at defensive tackle with Brandon Mebane signing with San Diego and Jordan Hill battling a toe injury late in the 2015 season. Reed is an outstanding run defender whose toughness and strength make him a good for Seattle's stout front, plus he has some upside as a pass-rusher. -- Steve Muench

gabel

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":26qxg3en said:

Rob Rang tweet.
Stunned that Jarran Reed was available at No 49. My top traditional DT in the draft. Powerful, tough & better pass rusher than given credit.

Every time I watched him play he was a stud and he really really wants to play in Seattle.