2nd round tender on Jeron Johnson

Jville

Reaction score
It's an early offer or signal. There are 7 days left for tender offers before the 4:00 pm deadline on March 11.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2zz39nt1 said:
Scottemojo":2zz39nt1 said:
SomersetHawk":2zz39nt1 said:
If you dug out all of his tape with the Seahawks, it would look like a highlight reel. With limited opportunities, all this guy does is make big plays. Shame he was injured this year. On another team he's a starter. I wonder if that tag was set with Gus (JAX) in mind?
JAX was my first thought as well. You must be a genius.

Jax has a juicy second rounder, too. Always liked Jeron, and I'd like to see what he could do as a starter...for another team.
Well, the way these things work, Jax could work out third or fourth round compensation with us then talk contract with Jeron. The 2nd round tender may be just a starting point. But still, I would love to have their third rounder as well.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
If Jax wanted him they wouldn't sign him. They try to work out a trade for a pick lower than the 2nd he's been tendered at.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think the trade comp for a player like Jeron would be closer to a 5th/6th than a 3rd/4th.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
This may also be a commentary on what the FO thinks of the talent level available at S in this draft.

I'm surprised by this but he'd need to be tendered this high to acquire any compensation if another team was to attempt to snatch him.

kearly

Reaction score
Very surprised. But I guess I shouldn't be, given how much trouble Seattle has had with finding quality safeties for their big nickle stuff.

I'm happy for him that he gets to make $2.1 million next year.

lukerguy

Reaction score
A fourth from Jacksonville would be amazing (around pick 100). I like Johnson, but not for 2MM a year.

lukerguy

Reaction score
kearly":o2xkeuhh said:

You're crazy. Shead is as good if not better for a fraction.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
The Seahawks know that other teams are going to be drooling over their DBs. Already everyone is comparing the guys in the draft to "Seattle DBs".

Jeron would be signed for a good deal somewhere if the Hawks didn't do this.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
lukerguy":3o5qd180 said:
kearly":3o5qd180 said:

Based on what? I feel a lot better about Jeron starting a bunch of games for an injured Kam/Earl than Shead. $2M better? Actually, yes...

JKent82

Reaction score
From what I read since Jeron Johnson was a UDFA, a team could sign him away with no compensation to us. Thus the options would be a first round tender or a second round tender. With a second round tender he costs ~1 mil more, but now if he's signed away the Seahawks get draft compensation/or can negotiate a trade.

From Wikipedia
Tender amount Compensation required
$2.879 million First-round
$2.023 million Second-round
$1.323 million Determined by RFA's original draft status (Original draft round)

Jville

Reaction score
JKent82":jhs1fde3 said:
From what I read since Jeron Johnson was a UDFA, a team could sign him away with no compensation to us. Thus the options would be a first round tender or a second round tender. With a second round tender he costs ~1 mil more, but now if he's signed away the Seahawks get draft compensation/or can negotiate a trade.

From Wikipedia

Those numbers are out of date.

Jville

Reaction score
The correct numbers for 2014 are:

1st round ............ $3.113 million
2an round ............ $2.187 million
original round ........ $1.431 million

Atradees

Reaction score
Jeron Johnson is a great player. A human highlight real. Hes worth two million. Someone is gonna want him.

JKent82

Reaction score
Jville":1rspr4y4 said:
JKent82":1rspr4y4 said:

From Wikipedia

Those numbers are out of date.

Oh oops, thanks for the correction! From twitter I knew they were off, and my main purpose was to illustrate why it was a 2nd round tender and then forgot to ever put a disclaimer.

chris98251

Reaction score
He was one that Bradley and Pete said would be a starter on another team a couple seasons ago, Maragos is also one they love and has qualitys that are not appreciated.

getnasty

Reaction score
They place a high tender on him, making people think he's better then he is, I like it. Hopefully someone takes the bait, if not we got a good back up safety.

davidonmi

Reaction score
If someone signs him do they match? A second round pick is valuable to this team

lukerguy

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3pvhued1 said:
lukerguy":3pvhued1 said:
kearly":3pvhued1 said:

Based on what? I feel a lot better about Jeron starting a bunch of games for an injured Kam/Earl than Shead. $2M better? Actually, yes...

JJ is not 2MM better than Shead, not even close.