2nd round tender on Jeron Johnson

lukerguy

Reaction score
Throwdown":qz0be2qg said:
Can anyone tell us who knows more about it how Jeron Johnson did at FS? I know if he went to Jacksonville he won't be playing SS as they have Cyprien who they're insanely excited about.
He'd get murdered in the nfl at fs.

lukerguy

Reaction score
-The Glove-":18xxqbeg said:
You oughta take that up with the FO then

I don't think fo will pay him that. They can still trade him for less comp, sign him to a longer deal, or cut him. Money is not guaranteed.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Pete loves Jeron. Unfortunately, he didn't have much of an impact this year due to injuries after having a big 2012 season. His talent is worth the risk of a one-year contract. If he's healthy, he could also play WLB in a pinch.

drdiags

Reaction score
Someone on twitter pointed out that all the Seahawks RFAs last year got tendered at certain levels (believe there were 3 - Maragos, McDonald and the LS). All got re-negotiated or cut before the season started.

Jeron Johnson may have been tendered at a 2nd round tender but if he remains on the team I doubt he will see the $2.1M salary he was tendered at.

EDIT: Lurkerguy mentioned this a few posts earlier. I missed it.

kearly

Reaction score
lukerguy":1qcn7g9f said:
kearly":1qcn7g9f said:
I'm happy for him that he gets to make $2.1 million next year.

You're crazy. Shead is as good if not better for a fraction.

You're crazy for not knowing what being happy for someone means. I personally do not think JJ is worth $2.1 million in cap space commitment for Seattle.

kearly

Reaction score
drdiags":14s1w06m said:
Someone on twitter pointed out that all the Seahawks RFAs last year got tendered at certain levels (believe there were 3 - Maragos, McDonald and the LS). All got re-negotiated or cut before the season started.

Jeron Johnson may have been tendered at a 2nd round tender but if he remains on the team I doubt he will see the $2.1M salary he was tendered at.

EDIT: Lurkerguy mentioned this a few posts earlier. I missed it.

Maragos, McDonald, and Gresham all signed the lowest RFA tender, which cost $1.33 million last season. According to some googling I did, Maragos made the full amount, Gresham signed a bargain two year deal that averaged 800k a year, and McDonald was cut in August before being brought back later on a league minimum contract.

Basically, to get out of JJ's $2.1 million hit we'd either have to cut him or have him agree to a cheaper long term contract. I think Johnson would likely get scooped up ASAP if we released him, so playing hardball like they did with Gresham and McDonald probably wouldn't work. Johnson would start at safety for some teams, and even bad starters typically earn more than $2 million on non-rookie deals, so it's hard for me to envision him signing an extension that pays him significantly less than $2.1 million per year to stick around. In the case of Gresham, being a longsnapper I'm sure he was just happy to have a spot on the team for an extra year so he didn't put up a fight.

I think Johnson also has some leverage to a degree given that Seattle has had some struggles finding another good big nickle safety to replace him.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
IndyHawk":235pqw56 said:
All this Gus wants this or that player of ours ...How do we know he has any power to do that?I mean yes he is the head coach but some teams like Dallas ect ..You get what they give you to coach..
That's pure speculation on my part. While I didn't care for his play calling I think the guy is a good coach that knows talent when he sees it. JMHO though.

drdiags

Reaction score
kearly":3q53xhk6 said:
According to some googling I did, Maragos made the full amount...

Maragos spoke about having to decide whether to take a reduction in pay last season after the Seahawks told him to take a reduction from the tendered value or be cut. His wife was pregnant but he also said he really wanted to stay. Maybe the team cannot play hardball with Johnson, but I am willing to bet they may try. We will see. I'll go find the article detailing Maragos's tale.

Maragos, in his third year from Wisconsin, was initially due to make $1.323 million this season after signing last April. As the season neared, the team asked him to take a new deal of $700,000, with a $155,000 bonus. Long snapper Clint Greshman agreed to a similar restructuring, and the team cut defensive tackle Clinton McDonald, only to then bring him back a week into the season at less money.

Maragos’ options were to stay and take the new, lesser deal, or decline the offer and then be released and become a free agent, with the chance of making more money somewhere else, but also no guarantees as to where he might land, or his role

http://seattletimes.com/html/seahawks/2022802869_seahawks01xml.html

hawknation2014

Reaction score
Aren't the 49ers in need of a FA strong safety right now?

This is great defense by Pete and Schneider.

plyka

Reaction score
hawknation2014":36q1d7k4 said:

I think the team most in need of a safety is the SEahawks! What would happen if EITHER Earl or Kam go down? I love Sherm, but I think the most important players on this entire team are, and in this order:

1) Wilson
2) Earl
3) Kam
4) Sherm
5) Okung
6) Lynch

I really think this team is in big trouble if either Earl or Kam get hurt. If Sherm gets hurt, I can see his replacement, perhaps not as good as him, but still pretty good. The backups at either safety spot, i ddidn't think it was very good, but with this JJ news, I have a bit more confidence.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
plyka":3apviyvh said:
hawknation2014":3apviyvh said:

I think the team most in need of a safety is the SEahawks! What would happen if EITHER Earl or Kam go down? I love Sherm, but I think the most important players on this entire team are, and in this order:

1) Wilson
2) Earl
3) Kam
4) Sherm
5) Okung
6) Lynch

I really think this team is in big trouble if either Earl or Kam get hurt. If Sherm gets hurt, I can see his replacement, perhaps not as good as him, but still pretty good. The backups at either safety spot, i ddidn't think it was very good, but with this JJ news, I have a bit more confidence.

I think Shead and Johnson would be great backups at safety. Fortunately, Chancellor and Thomas have not had any serious injuries.

drdiags

Reaction score
The way they were knocking each other out the past few games, including the Superbowl, it is just a matter of time before they put one of their team mates on the injury list. Shead was confused as heck in the Superbowl, watch him. Almost had a repeat of the Marquand Manuel/Etric Pruitt XL injury scenario.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3rr2ydae said:
Where is the tender on Baldwin?? Come on Hawks get it done.

Agree. I hope if it is between Baldwin and Tate they choose Baldwin