2nd round tender on Jeron Johnson

THUGCAPS

Reaction score
Teams like Philly and Green Bay would kill for a good safety right now so I think this makes sense.

RufusPorter

Reaction score
Hate to be debbie downer here, but if you go re-watch some 2012 stuff (back when he was healthy) we gave up touchdowns when he was on defense.

Brady's much lauded goal-line audible comes to mind immediately. "oh great read by brady" they say on playbook. Yea like Hernandez on Johnson isn't a great matchup...

Don't get me wrong, great on special teams and fantastic depth, but you DO NOT want him starting in the playoffs.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
This just ensures we don't lose him for nothing.

The alternative was an original round tender, but he was an UDFA.

Someone would've paid him starter money (JAX) and taken him off us with zero compensation.

Now the worst case scenario is we keep a solid backup and special teams guy. The best case scenario is someone maybe offers us a 4th to take him away.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
lukerguy":2ilfudpv said:
DavidSeven":2ilfudpv said:
lukerguy":2ilfudpv said:
kearly":2ilfudpv said:
I'm happy for him that he gets to make $2.1 million next year.

You're crazy. Shead is as good if not better for a fraction.

Based on what? I feel a lot better about Jeron starting a bunch of games for an injured Kam/Earl than Shead. $2M better? Actually, yes...

JJ is not 2MM better than Shead, not even close.

How do you know this?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Beeker":37f5qszk said:
Hate to be debbie downer here, but if you go re-watch some 2012 stuff (back when he was healthy) we gave up touchdowns when he was on defense.

Brady's much lauded goal-line audible comes to mind immediately. "oh great read by brady" they say on playbook. Yea like Hernandez on Johnson isn't a great matchup...

Don't get me wrong, great on special teams and fantastic depth, but you DO NOT want him starting in the playoffs.

That play came to mind...then I said to myself "remember when Sherman got burnt by the scrub from Minnesota, when ET missed that open field tackle on Gore to set up the go ahead FG, or Kam was out of position?"

Subzero717

Reaction score
-The Glove-":3qgm0mho said:
lukerguy":3qgm0mho said:
DavidSeven":3qgm0mho said:
lukerguy":3qgm0mho said:
kearly said:

Based on what? I feel a lot better about Jeron starting a bunch of games for an injured Kam/Earl than Shead. $2M better? Actually, yes...

How do you know this?

Cuz Stone Cold said so? Ive seen enough of Johnson to know he can start elsewhere. Shead I cant say that about.

plyka

Reaction score
This is a good thing, not a bad thing in my mind.

It's good because we do not know how good JJ is, the Seahawks do know how good JJ is --they see him and we do not. They also have a pretty good track record on DBs. And Safety is one position of weakness on this team, or I thought before I saw this news. What this tells me is that they love JJ, and are looking to keep him. I feel more comfortable with the depth at Safety now.

Would you rather that we didn't have someone the coaches thought was extremely good? I'd rather have this situation. If I could see him in real game situations over at least 3-4 games, I could make up my own mind. But I haven't seen it, so I have to take the coaches opinion on the subject.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":hhu327sz said:
-The Glove-":hhu327sz said:
lukerguy":hhu327sz said:
DavidSeven":hhu327sz said:
lukerguy said:
kearly said:

How do you know this?

Cuz Stone Cold said so? Ive seen enough of Johnson to know he can start elsewhere. Shead I cant say that about.

That's the thing. I've seen Johnson but I don't recall seeing much of Shead. at least not enough to know he's as good as JJ

Subzero717

Reaction score
-The Glove-":14hvag1k said:
CALIHAWK1":14hvag1k said:
-The Glove-":14hvag1k said:
lukerguy":14hvag1k said:
DavidSeven said:
lukerguy said:
kearly said:

How do you know this?

That's the thing. I've seen Johnson but I don't recall seeing much of Shead. at least not enough to know he's as good as JJ

I dont see how anyone here could. I remember in the preseason, (I get it was preseason), they commented how he was actually reacting too fast to the play as it unfolded because he was that prepared/advanced. It was something slong those lines.

lukerguy

Reaction score
lukerguy":1okxcdrr said:
DavidSeven":1okxcdrr said:
lukerguy":1okxcdrr said:
kearly":1okxcdrr said:

How do you know this?

I have two eyes. :)

In all seriousness, Shead is better in coverage than Johnson and JJ is better versus the run. I've seen it from the little tape he's given us. I feel like JJ is better as a KC replacement but Shead is a better ET back up.

JJ can't back up ET, but Shead can back up either (as you saw in the Super Bowl). They both have their strengths, but I don't see as one more valuable than the other. For that reason, I can't see why you'd pay JJ 2MM when Shead can fill in nicely as a back up for both SS and FS.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
lukerguy":izjqe44c said:
DavidSeven":izjqe44c said:
kearly said:

How do you know this?

I have two eyes. :)

In all seriousness, Shead is better in coverage than Johnson and JJ is better versus the run. I've seen it from the little tape he's given us. I feel like JJ is better as a KC replacement but Shead is a better ET back up.

JJ can't back up ET, but Shead can back up either (as you saw in the Super Bowl). They both have their strengths, but I don't see as one more valuable than the other. For that reason, I can't see why you'd pay JJ 2MM when Shead can fill in nicely as a back up for both SS and FS.

You oughta take that up with the FO then

Happypuppy

Reaction score
Interesting that it's on JJ. I would have thought it would be put on. Baldwin. Maybe a Baldwin deal in the works?
I do like JJ someone may bite

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Beeker":20hw21c1 said:

What's your point?

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
I think they like JJ and feel that Bradley was going to make a play for him, now if he does the price will be steep. No one knows our defensive personnel better than Gus, he knows where the hidden gems are.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
I like Jeron Johnson, he's a hard hitter who's no slouch in coverage and I think he's better than most of the Safety options in the draft/free agency. I could see Gus Bradley going for it because of his familiarity with Johnson or maybe even the 9ers they are probably looking for a cheaper safety but i doubt that. Gus Bradley trying to build something in Jacksonville so he could bring in Jeron Johnson and players like Brandon Browner or Walter Thurmond to instill the seahawk L.O.B. mentality in the secondary.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":1rhpiirp said:
I like Jeron Johnson, he's a hard hitter who's no slouch in coverage and I think he's better than most of the Safety options in the draft/free agency. I could see Gus Bradley going for it because of his familiarity with Johnson or maybe even the 9ers they are probably looking for a cheaper safety but i doubt that. Gus Bradley trying to build something in Jacksonville so he could bring in Jeron Johnson and players like Brandon Browner or Walter Thurmond to instill the seahawk L.O.B. mentality in the secondary.
That's my thinking, and it would be a pretty smart plan by Bradley, and if he did what you suggested he'd fix that defense in a hurry.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
All this Gus wants this or that player of ours ...How do we know he has any power to do that?I mean yes he is the head coach but some teams like Dallas ect ..You get what they give you to coach..

Throwdown

Reaction score
Can anyone tell us who knows more about it how Jeron Johnson did at FS? I know if he went to Jacksonville he won't be playing SS as they have Cyprien who they're insanely excited about.

nwgamer

Reaction score
JJ flashed frequently through the preseasons and less consistently in regular season. He plays like he needs a little seasoning and coaching still but we have surely seen enough to know that he is worth at least a trade offer from another team. Not necessarily a 2nd but at least JS gets to negotiate.