3 starting RB's?

ACFan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":3unnqkok said:
Worst Nightmare, WTH?? the act of handing the ball off isn't any different from one Back to another... Run "Styles" wouldn't be on Russell Wilson's plate....Wilson's "Worst Nightmare" is seeing his O-Line being breeched time and again, and he has nowhere to escape to.

Let me put it another way, which scenario do you think puts Wilson's mind at ease the most, having someone like a Lynch, who plays almost every down, who pass protects the same way, runs, blocks, runs pass routes the same way, week after week.

Or, a scenario where different backs, with different abilities and experience levels, are being shuttled in and out of the game.

Which scenario makes it easier for Wilson to get in and stay in his groove?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Seymour":1n1g2jdd said:
Sgt. Largent":1n1g2jdd said:
scutterhawk":1n1g2jdd said:
[
RB by Committee is not a new concept, it has been successfully done for YEARS.
As I see it, RB by committee (sharing the load) is a great way of extending the careers of your RB's

RB's need their touches, they need to get into the flow of the game, they need to work in tandem with the QB and line.

Yeah if you're the Patriots, you can go with the hot back for a week or two, then switch it up.

That's not who we are, we need that primary back to get into that rhythm and flow of the game. That requires 20-25 touches a game. Then if you want to use Prosise on 3rd down passing, or Rawls for a couple series a game to spell Lacy, that works.

I guarantee you that's what Pete wants, he wants Lacy to do what Marshawn did for us in his prime. He doesn't want a turnstyle of backs in and out, or RB by committee. That just doesn't fit Pete's philosophy.

That is not what Bevell thinks! :twisted:

"We are going to be running back by committee," Bevell said at a Seahawks Town Hall event Wednesday night. "We really like what Christine Michael is doing right now. ... He has breakaway speed and power behind his pads."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000356154/article/darrell-bevell-seahawks-going-to-rb-committee

That article has a publish date of 2014....just maybe they tried RB by committee and found it doesn't work. It sure didn't last year so maybe they are going back to the plan that did work when Lynch was getting bulk the carries. The only difference is it'll be one of Lacy, Rawls, Prosise, Collins, etc.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ACFan":3mxe5zym said:
scutterhawk":3mxe5zym said:
Worst Nightmare, WTH?? the act of handing the ball off isn't any different from one Back to another... Run "Styles" wouldn't be on Russell Wilson's plate....Wilson's "Worst Nightmare" is seeing his O-Line being breeched time and again, and he has nowhere to escape to.

Let me put it another way, which scenario do you think puts Wilson's mind at ease the most, having someone like a Lynch, who plays almost every down, who pass protects the same way, runs, blocks, runs pass routes the same way, week after week.

Or, a scenario where different backs, with different abilities and experience levels, are being shuttled in and out of the game.

Which scenario makes it easier for Wilson to get in and stay in his groove?

"Like a Lynch"? there's only one Lynch, and even as beastly as he was, he was subject to a sports hernia.
2015, WITHOUT Lynch, or for the first six games, not much of a Run Game at all, Wilson & Baldwin "Grooved" pretty well ,and hell, look at how fantastic a job Thomas Rawls did in his debut, it didn't mess up Wilson's "Groove" one iota.
Last Year, Rawls was brought back into action way too early, and he was re-injured because of it, and if Collins was all that, why wasn't he put in the games early on, so he and Wilson could "Get In A Groove" so to speak.
The main reason that we had a problem with getting the RB by committee off the ground, is because we didn't have anyone that could pound the rock that wasn't prone to injuries.......As far as a RB that "Runs Pass Routes" Prosise is at the top of that ladder, and not many are going to challenge him for his skills there.
This Year, Rawls is FINALLY healthy, + we brought in Eddy Lacey to switch styles, with emphasis on keeping Defenses guessing.
Mr. "Add Lib" Russell Wilson is a multi-tasker, getting in a Groove with different Running styles would be the least of his problems, or duties.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":3r2mmh7b said:
Sgt. Largent":3r2mmh7b said:
scutterhawk":3r2mmh7b said:
[
RB by Committee is not a new concept, it has been successfully done for YEARS.
As I see it, RB by committee (sharing the load) is a great way of extending the careers of your RB's

RB's need their touches, they need to get into the flow of the game, they need to work in tandem with the QB and line.

Yeah if you're the Patriots, you can go with the hot back for a week or two, then switch it up.

That's not who we are, we need that primary back to get into that rhythm and flow of the game. That requires 20-25 touches a game. Then if you want to use Prosise on 3rd down passing, or Rawls for a couple series a game to spell Lacy, that works.

I guarantee you that's what Pete wants, he wants Lacy to do what Marshawn did for us in his prime. He doesn't want a turnstyle of backs in and out, or RB by committee. That just doesn't fit Pete's philosophy.

That is not what Bevell thinks! :twisted:

"We are going to be running back by committee," Bevell said at a Seahawks Town Hall event Wednesday night. "We really like what Christine Michael is doing right now. ... He has breakaway speed and power behind his pads."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000356154/article/darrell-bevell-seahawks-going-to-rb-committee

This is pure unadulterated spin, it's what coaches say when there is no healthy #1 back on the roster, or in Michael's care, a #2 or #3 back.

StoneCold

Reaction score
IBleedBlueAndGreen":1y5p3b68 said:
I you have three starting running backs, then really it means that you don't have one starting running back.

What if you happen to have 3 RB's that would start on 90% of teams in the NFL? Bonus!

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
StoneCold":3lkjhf65 said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3lkjhf65 said:
I you have three starting running backs, then really it means that you don't have one starting running back.

What if you happen to have 3 RB's that would start on 90% of teams in the NFL? Bonus!

We do have three that can start, but do we have three that can finish?

ACFan

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3aby8d1q said:

and that's the key, if you can't finish you won't be starting for long.

How many RBs do we have on the roster who are capable of averaging 20 carries and 80 yards a game for 10 straight weeks?

We have one who has proven he can, (Lacy) just not in this system.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3pl5s17g said:
StoneCold":3pl5s17g said:
IBleedBlueAndGreen":3pl5s17g said:

With a skimpy roster of RB's on the Seahawks last Season, and Pete's determination NOT to get caught with his pants down again in 2017, Pete has gone heavy on stacking RB's, because he knows that injuries play into the equation, Yes, I do believe that he has addressed the necessity of hedging his bets...ALL STARTING RB's in the League are susceptible of sustaining an injury... VIRTUALLY ALL OF THEM.

ACFan

Reaction score
scutterhawk":24luude1 said:
With a skimpy roster of RB's on the Seahawks last Season, and Pete's determination NOT to get caught with his pants down again in 2017, Pete has gone heavy on stacking RB's, because he knows that injuries play into the equation, Yes, I do believe that he has addressed the necessity of hedging his bets...ALL STARTING RB's in the League are susceptible of sustaining an injury... VIRTUALLY ALL OF THEM.

We weren't calling 2016's group of RBs "skimpy" at this stage last year, heck, many were saying we might have one of the best groups in the league. We were looking at 40 times and verticals, and saying if this guy comes back from his injury, if this guy can stay healthy, if the light comes on for this guy, IF, IF, IF, then we'll be great, then the pads went on.

I think we have the same number of RBs as last year, the difference being we filled one spot with a proven commodity.

Of course anyone can be injured, but some are more susceptible than others, some a LOT more, and some a LOT less.

Ask Herschel Walker or Emmitt Smith and their 10+ year careers.

Way more to injuries than just bad luck. Two things at work, genes and running style.

Some RB's bodies just hold up to the pounding better and heal faster, but the real key is simply good running instincts, running with your eyes, seldom taking a solid hit, hard to get a angle on.

Guys that rely purely on speed and quickness rather than real running skills are eventually (probably within 100 carries) going to get caught the wrong way, and the defender will have a clean shot to cream the crap out of them. Or they will over- extend an ankle or leg somewhere trying to do too much.

When you find a fast, quick (enough) RB, who uses his instincts/eyes FIRST, (runs smart) AND has a body that can hold up well to the grind, then you've got a RB who can start 5+ years and be counted on to produce week in or week out.

I think overall we LOOK to be in better shape at RB in '17 than at this stage in '16, but I still think we have a couple of guys who will never be more than spot players, really good spot players, but spot players, that's their ceiling.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
ACFan":1cire5dv said:
scutterhawk":1cire5dv said:

We weren't calling 2016's group of RBs "skimpy" at this stage last year, heck, many were saying we might have one of the best groups in the league. We were looking at 40 times and verticals, and saying if this guy comes back from his injury, if this guy can stay healthy, if the light comes on for this guy, IF, IF, IF, then we'll be great, then the pads went on.

I think we have the same number of RBs as last year, the difference being we filled one spot with a proven commodity.

Of course anyone can be injured, but some are more susceptible than others, some a LOT more, and some a LOT less.

Ask Herschel Walker or Emmitt Smith and their 10+ year careers.

Way more to injuries than just bad luck. Two things at work, genes and running style.

Some RB's bodies just hold up to the pounding better and heal faster, but the real key is simply good running instincts, running with your eyes, seldom taking a solid hit, hard to get a angle on.

Guys that rely purely on speed and quickness rather than real running skills are eventually (probably within 100 carries) going to get caught the wrong way, and the defender will have a clean shot to cream the crap out of them. Or they will over- extend an ankle or leg somewhere trying to do too much.

When you find a fast, quick (enough) RB, who uses his instincts/eyes FIRST, (runs smart) AND has a body that can hold up well to the grind, then you've got a RB who can start 5+ years and be counted on to produce week in or week out.

I think overall we LOOK to be in better shape at RB in '17 than at this stage in '16, but I still think we have a couple of guys who will never be more than spot players, really good spot players, but spot players, that's their ceiling.

Yes, and you also know that just ONE fluke hit can take out ANY player, no matter how durable, or how beastly they are, it's the nature of the position....This is a violent game, where the big boys seem to be getting faster & faster, and because of players running towards each other, closing speed is cut in half, running with your instincts/eyes won't ALWAYS get you through the gauntlet unscathed.
Just ONE hit can slow you down, can make you susceptible to further injury....Just ask Russell Wilson.

Seymour

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1hq0s9xw said:
Yes, and you also know that just ONE fluke hit can take out ANY player, no matter how durable, or how beastly they are, it's the nature of the position....This is a violent game, where the big boys seem to be getting faster & faster, and because of players running towards each other, closing speed is cut in half, running with your instincts/eyes won't ALWAYS get you through the gauntlet unscathed.
Just ONE hit can slow you down, can make you susceptible to further injury....Just ask Russell Wilson.

Maybe you would be kind enough to explain to us how closing speed is cut in half?

Perhaps you are talking about closing time.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":1eywq2ai said:
scutterhawk":1eywq2ai said:

Maybe you would be kind enough to explain to us how closing speed is cut in half?

With Semisonic playing in the background.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Seymour":185var99 said:
scutterhawk":185var99 said:

Okay, :roll: you got me. :snack:

ACFan

Reaction score
Five Observations From Day 2:

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/07/31 ... ining-camp

. #2 Alex Collins looks different… In a good way.

As a rookie, Alex Collins struggled to make an impact early in the season, and one reason for that, Carroll said last year, was that Collins was a bit heavier than he needed to be. Collins got into better shape late in the season and took advantage of more opportunities late in the season, and he is back for his second season looking a lot more like the late-season version of himself. If anything, Collins might be even a bit slimmed down and more explosive than he was when he had 162 all-purpose yards in three games during the final month of the season.

“He’s leaner, he’s faster, he’s quicker,” Carroll said in June after seeing Collins in minicamp. “He’s all of that and he knows what he’s doing now, so he’s really positioned himself well to compete for a spot.”

Collins is facing a lot of competition for playing time from players like Eddie Lacy, Thomas Rawls and C.J. Prosise, but after two days of practice, he looks like a player who can help the offense in 2017.

West TX Hawk

Reaction score
ACFan":2n79liah said:
Five Observations From Day 2:

http://www.seahawks.com/news/2017/07/31 ... ining-camp

. #2 Alex Collins looks different… In a good way.

As a rookie, Alex Collins struggled to make an impact early in the season, and one reason for that, Carroll said last year, was that Collins was a bit heavier than he needed to be. Collins got into better shape late in the season and took advantage of more opportunities late in the season, and he is back for his second season looking a lot more like the late-season version of himself. If anything, Collins might be even a bit slimmed down and more explosive than he was when he had 162 all-purpose yards in three games during the final month of the season.

“He’s leaner, he’s faster, he’s quicker,” Carroll said in June after seeing Collins in minicamp. “He’s all of that and he knows what he’s doing now, so he’s really positioned himself well to compete for a spot.”

Collins is facing a lot of competition for playing time from players like Eddie Lacy, Thomas Rawls and C.J. Prosise, but after two days of practice, he looks like a player who can help the offense in 2017.

Sounds like he's done everything he needed to do in the offseason to be ready for camp. He'll have tough competition for that last RB spot but looks like he's ready to go.

ACFan

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":2rrbcjgn said:
Sounds like he's done everything he needed to do in the offseason to be ready for camp. He'll have tough competition for that last RB spot but looks like he's ready to go.

He looks trimmer now than he's ever been, moreso than anytime in college. I think the idea from last year he could be used occasionally as a FB is history.

I'll say it as humbly as I can, because I know I'm in the vast minority on this, but I think the other 3 will face equally "tough competition" to stay ahead of Collins.

Without an official depth chart, the assumption is 1)Lacy, 2) Rawls, 3) Prosise, 4) Collins, or by judging by CPC word's, it sounds like it could 3a and 3b for CJ and AC.

Regardless, I think they are all starting out all pretty close to one another and nothing is set in stone.

Collins looked as good as any back we had the last half of the season, looking at how he finished the last 3 games, maybe better, and the writer of that article who watched him at camp says he looks more explosive now compared to then.

Everyone seems to forget how he finished, and instead are locked into the image of the early season AC, who was still learning the offense and how to run in it.

No way is he in danger of losing a roster spot in 2017. I said the same thing last year against a wave of disagreement, everyone waiting day by day for him to get cut or moved to the PS, it never happened, it wont this year either.

It'll be a fun competition to watch, I think the 3 presumed to be ahead of AC will have some serious work to stay there, should make everyone better.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
It's looking like the RB competition is going to be red hot this preseason. Not only at the top (Lacy/Rawls), but even at the bottom (Collins and Mike Davis). I really liked Davis coming out of college and was pleasantly surprised when Seattle picked him up. Collins flashed plenty as a rookie, which you want to see especially from a late round pick. I harbor much higher hopes that Collins makes that 2nd year leap than I do for some players (Ifedi).

I expect this RB group is going to be the deepest Seattle has fielded in many years. Seattle is going to have some really tough cuts among this group this month.

Seymour

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3bjeqia6 said:
It's looking like the RB competition is going to be red hot this preseason. Not only at the top (Lacy/Rawls), but even at the bottom (Collins and Mike Davis). I really liked Davis coming out of college and was pleasantly surprised when Seattle picked him up. Collins flashed plenty as a rookie, which you want to see especially from a late round pick. I harbor much higher hopes that Collins makes that 2nd year leap than I do for some players (Ifedi).

I expect this RB group is going to be the deepest Seattle has fielded in many years. Seattle is going to have some really tough cuts among this group this month.

I am undecided on Collins myself. That said, you may well be right on him. I'm hearing he came in lighter, in better shape, and several have commented on how much faster he is now. Wags and he were going toe to toe down the sideline in practice, and Wags never could catch him. Wags is damn fast (4.45) so that is great news IMO.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
I'm right there with ya. Collins hasn't shown much overall. But did show some signs towards the end of the season. Hopefully he shocks everyone and really takes it next level.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Apparently Carson had a good day today according to the ESPN dude and ripped off a long touchdown. I'm assuming pads weren't on, but that would be to his advantage most of the time.