3 starting RB's?

ACFan

Reaction score
vin.couve12":37aab72m said:
Apparently Carson had a good day today according to the ESPN dude and ripped off a long touchdown. I'm assuming pads weren't on, but that would be to his advantage most of the time.

I thought pads went on today, regardless, looking forward to seeing Carson, sounds like he's got some speed.

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Rawls is looking like a guy with something to prove so far in camp.

That's a good thing. Should make for a more determined backfield come game day.

ACFan

Reaction score
semiahmoo":9gnpgez8 said:
Rawls is looking like a guy with something to prove so far in camp.

That's a good thing. Should make for a more determined backfield come game day.

I can see where Rawls feels like he's got something to prove, Also, Lacy has his own motivation and no one may feel like they have more to set straight and prove than Collins.

I can really see those 3 playing with a chip on their shoulder. I think Prosise just wants to prove he can stay on the field.

Heck, Collins was persuaded to enter the draft early, after a rigorous and thorough draft analysis had him probably 2nd round, no later than 3rd. He genuinely wanted to stay for his SR year, but logic pretty much forced him to declare.

I just read 2016 pre draft articles from 3 different writers saying Collins was FIRST round talent.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2608 ... round-pick

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/arkan ... iscussion/

http://footballdrafting.com/could-arkan ... k-in-2016/

He got over analyised and ran poorly at the combine and became a 5th round steal.

Had he showed up at the combine in the shape he's at now, and ran well, he would have been a 2nd round pick.

So they all have something to prove.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yeah I guess today was in pads and the first hitting of camp. Apparently Pete recognized Carson's good day today too.

I'm not so sure that a year from now he and Procise aren't the guys. I know that's a stretch, but they're the ones with the most overall ability right now. A lot of that will have to do with health, obviously.

ACFan

Reaction score
I understand college stats don't mean much, but they can't be totally discounted either.

Find the studs on this list.

Alex Collins 38 games, 665 carries, 3,703 yards, 5.6 ypc, 36 TDS SEC
Eddie Lacy 37 games, 355 carries, 2,402 yards, 6.8 ypc, 17 TDs SEC
Thomas Rawls 36 games, 283 carries, 1,438 yards, 5.1 ypc, 15 TDS BIG 10
C.J. Prosise 37 games, 167 carries, 1,155 yards, 6.9 ypc, 12 TDS BIG 10
Chris Carson 21 games, 214 carries, 1,075 yards, 5.0 ypc, 13 TDS BIG 12

Lacy's eye popping 6.8 avg is certainly noteworthy, as is Collins huge body of work, with all
38 games in a 3 year span, perfect attendance.

ACFan

Reaction score
vin.couve12":2t0tecjl said:
I'm not so sure that a year from now he and Procise aren't the guys. I know that's a stretch, but they're the ones with the most overall ability right now. A lot of that will have to do with health, obviously.

yea, to me that's a stretch, and you closed with the reason why yourself.

"most over all ability" has to start with the ability to stay on the field, and I'd say the jury is still out on Prosise in that department, big time. If he could rest and train for an entire year for one game, he could be incredible, not sure how he'd be the next week though, if available at all.

Mr. Ceiling (Prosise) got drafted in the 3rd based upon potential of what he MIGHT do.

Give me the guys who've SHOWN they can do it, live up to their potential RIGHT NOW, and do it with success week after week, give me guys with histories like that.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
ACFan":2h3mo1xj said:
vin.couve12":2h3mo1xj said:

"most over all ability" has to start with the ability to stay on the field, and I'd say the jury is still out on Prosise in that department, big time. If he could rest and train for an entire year for one game, he could be incredible, not sure how he'd be the next week though, if available at all.

Mr. Ceiling (Prosise) got drafted in the 3rd based upon potential of what he MIGHT do.

Give me the guys who've SHOWN they can do it, live up to their potential RIGHT NOW, and do it with success week after week, gives me guys with histories like that.
Of course, I just don't think the future of the backfield could really be any of the other guys and that does include Rawls. I think Rawls is off to Detroit next year and Lacey.....not really sure, but his habits will be an ongoing issue and the love of food is a difficult one.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Another really nice crop of RBs in the draft next year too. And before somebody get's started, Chris Warren's kid probably has FB in his future. Well maybe...real big kid that probably needs to work on his athleticism.

ACFan

Reaction score
vin.couve12":3ij15x6s said:
ACFan":3ij15x6s said:
vin.couve12":3ij15x6s said:

Give me the guys who've SHOWN they can do it, live up to their potential RIGHT NOW, and do it with success week after week, gives me guys with histories like that.
Of course, I just don't think the future of the backfield could really be any of the other guys and that does include Rawls. I think Rawls is off to Detroit next year and Lacey.....not really sure, but his habits will be an ongoing issue and the love of food is a difficult one.

Lacey is the only back we have for '17 that has proven he can be a bell cow. He's likely already hit his ceiling but that's OK, if he can be just as good as he was in GB, or close, well be good to go I think for this year. But you can't ignore the average productive span of most NFL backs, and when it starts to decline, and Lacy is right there.

Huge potential for Prosise, but I can't see him ever as a bell cow, only as a heck of change of pace player.

You think Rawls is gone after this year? where his ceiling is can be hard to tell, maybe he's reached it, maybe not, has big 1-3 game potential, has to overcome the durability issues as well.

And it's funny, I'm not real sure anyone really overcomes durability issues, they either have them or they don't seems like.

And Carson, I'm going to be careful about anything I say regarding him, having not seen him yet. Right now, I just see a genuine late round pick with a pretty mediocre college resume.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Rawls stays healthy this year, but I also would be a little bit conservative in dealing with his FA status. If he doesn't stay healthy this year, then he'll probably get a 1 year deal here or elsewhere. If he does stay healthy then it's likely a 1 year deal elsewhere. With his injury history going back to college...it's just a really hard bet.

With Procise I don't disagree, but apparently he's also changed his body structure a bit this year. He's 225 now and rocked up. That should help him in his particular case having been a little lean even at 220. We'll see with him, but I don't know that he'll ever be that 20 touch a game dude.

I will say this, Pete was enormously excited about Procise last year and was equally so this year with Carson. I checked him out before the draft and couldn't get a handle on it due to his inexperience and broken thumb issue, but bigtime potential is there.

ACFan

Reaction score
collins

PLAY(ER) OF THE DAY: Second-year running back Alex Collins reached back to snare a hard pass from Russell Wilson off his hip. Collins then pivoted sharply up the left side of the field and sprinted with speed he did not have last season as a rookie who fell in and out of shape, and thus coaches’ favor. Collins had All-Pro linebacker Bobby Wagner chasing him -- all the way to the end zone without catching him.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/nf ... rylink=cpy

For a guy who always looked quick because of his vision and instincts, to now actually be as quick and fast as anyone, is encouraging to say the least.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I have a feeling that if Rawls loses the battle to #1 back, he will get traded. Most likely ask to be traded. The Ravens and Broncos are in need of running back. I don't think he would be satisfied with only 5-6 carries per game (#2 back). That's not to say that Rawls isn't a team player, it's about getting the work so he can meet his career goals and maximize his career.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Rawls needs to prove he can put together one healthy season before he earns the right to be dissatisfied with anything. I'm pulling for him.