@32 our best draft pick "EVER"

kigenzun

Reaction score
True enough. I've seen his highlight reels and they are amazing...

I'm hoping GB, Carolina, the Saints, or the Broncos (or even SF) are in totally 1st Round in love with him.

General Manager

Reaction score
Some of you make it sound like he's Brandon LaFell absurd. This is the same kind of analysis I heard about Patterson and Allen last year.

kigenzun

Reaction score
Its not that Jordan Matthews sux... he doesn't. He's good.
He's just not our type of receiver, scheme-fit-wise.

IMO he's a much better fit for other teams. And I believe our defense could defend him well, and shut him down with press/blanket coverage... so I'm hoping one of our rivals spends a 1st rounder on him.
It just won't be us, for the reasons I wrote a book on above (lol) earlier today ;)

Need scientific numbers/facts?
Look at the URLs below. A statistical comparison of the top WRs. It shows percentages of how/where they actually catch the ball, the yards past the line of scrimmage, their YAC, and so on.

3 are listed here: http://secondroundstats.com/?p=515

& 5 more listed here: http://secondroundstats.com/?p=529

Jordan Matthews is 42% screens and only 6% 20+ yards down the field.
Thus, he's more a screen to intermediate threat, not a scary for D-coordinators/take the top off the defense/deep ball/bomb/red line threat, as we are apparently looking for in a #1 WR.

But hey, if you love a player (for any reason...) I have no problem with that at all. That's what makes the draft process so much fun. I'm not trying to be a 'bummerdrag downer' on JM, or 'know it all' by any means. I'm just saying I think he's a bad fit for us.

Human being flawed logic sidenote:
In fact, I'll humbly admit to a very similar sounding total mancrush on Kelvin Benjamin. For whatever reason, I, personally, think he would be great on the Seahawks. Is that the consensus opinion? NO WAY!!! Is he the best choice at #32? Probably not. In fact, I am surely in the minority... and most likely, flat out wrong. Do I have some doubts? You betcha. Do I believe we should draft Bitonio instead to shore up the O-Line and protect Russell? Yessirree. But my rose colored glasses are always on while watching how KB can high-point the deep ball, and thus he can "do no wrong" in my eyes. Drops? No problem. Bad routes. Sure thing! Unable to sink his hips? We'll coach him up. Heisman QB making him look better than he is? Hey, we got SB winning franchise in #3 to make him look nice & shiny on Sundays. :D

Is he classic boom or bust material? Absolutely.

But I love 'em so I'll root for 'em @32... same as you guys apparently, with Matthews.

Different eyes, looking at the same, see different things. And truth, as well as beauty, is in the mind's eye of the beholder.

General Manager

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":7iyr2plg said:
General Manager":7iyr2plg said:
Oh and that one handed catch down the sideline with the defender in his hip pocket against Florida was terrible just terrible ya he sucks.

Right... because I said he never ever made any plays.

You're a teenager, aren't you?

This article does a good job summing up my issues with Matthews: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/app ... edmatthews

Well your over the top analysis is good for a laugh at least .

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
General Manager":28rg1s48 said:
theENGLISHseahawk":28rg1s48 said:
General Manager":28rg1s48 said:
Oh and that one handed catch down the sideline with the defender in his hip pocket against Florida was terrible just terrible ya he sucks.

This article does a good job summing up my issues with Matthews: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/app ... edmatthews

You need to accept people don't have to agree with you. Embrace it.

And then go do your homework.

General Manager

Reaction score
kigenzun":21192abg said:
Its not that Jordan Matthews sux... he doesn't. He's good.
He's just not our type of receiver, scheme-fit-wise.

IMO he's a much better fit for other teams. And I believe our defense could defend him well, and shut him down with press/blanket coverage... so I'm hoping one of our rivals spends a 1st rounder on him.
It just won't be us, for the reasons I wrote a book on above (lol) earlier today ;)

Need scientific numbers/facts?
Look at the URLs below. A statistical comparison of the top WRs. It shows percentages of how/where they actually catch the ball, the yards past the line of scrimmage, their YAC, and so on.

3 are listed here: http://secondroundstats.com/?p=515

& 5 more listed here: http://secondroundstats.com/?p=529

Jordan Matthews is 42% screens and only 6% 20+ yards down the field.
Thus, he's more a screen to intermediate threat, not a scary for D-coordinators/take the top off the defense/deep ball/bomb/red line threat, as we are apparently looking for in a #1 WR.

But hey, if you love a player (for any reason...) I have no problem with that at all. That's what makes the draft process so much fun. I'm not trying to be a 'bummerdrag downer' on JM, or 'know it all' by any means. I'm just saying I think he's a bad fit for us.

Human being flawed logic sidenote:
In fact, I'll humbly admit to a very similar sounding total mancrush on Kelvin Benjamin. For whatever reason, I, personally, think he would be great on the Seahawks. Is that the consensus opinion? NO WAY!!! Is he the best choice at #32? Probably not. In fact, I am surely in the minority... and most likely, flat out wrong. Do I have some doubts? You betcha. Do I believe we should draft Bitonio instead to shore up the O-Line and protect Russell? Yessirree. But my rose colored glasses are always on while watching how KB can high-point the deep ball, and thus he can "do no wrong" in my eyes. Drops? No problem. Bad routes. Sure thing! Unable to sink his hips? We'll coach him up. Heisman QB making him look better than he is? Hey, we got SB winning franchise in #3 to make him look nice & shiny on Sundays. :D

Is he classic boom or bust material? Absolutely.

But I love 'em so I'll root for 'em @32... same as you guys apparently, with Matthews.

Different eyes, looking at the same, see different things. And truth, as well as beauty, is in the mind's eye of the beholder.

I'm not pounding the table for Matthews at 32 at all. As long as we come out of this draft with a good WR hopefully Latimer but if not then Matthews ,Moncrief or Bryant . I'd like them to get 1 of those 4 in the first or second round. Like McShay says you can put together a tape or article/opinion piece for or against any player.

General Manager

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1jxmpa5t said:
General Manager":1jxmpa5t said:
theENGLISHseahawk":1jxmpa5t said:
General Manager":1jxmpa5t said:

You need to accept people don't have to agree with you. Embrace it.

And then go do your homework.

It's the draft we all have strong opinions and it was a good discussion.

kearly

Reaction score
It isn't a perfect comparison, but I feel that Jordan Matthews is this year's Quinton Patton. Fiery, brash self-confidence in interviews, and a little bit of competitiveness on the field in certain situations, but ultimately a soft receiver who's tape looked extremely average. Everyone talked about Patton sneaking his way into the first round and I just couldn't see it based on his play. Of course, Patton ended up a 4th rounder and his draft hype was exposed as a media creation.

These days, everyone is talking about Matthews like he's a fringe 1st round guy, or at least a 2nd round guy. And maybe he will, the draft is unpredictable like that. Brian Quick and Aaron Dobson were super-average receivers who went in the 2nd round. But usually, players like him go middle rounds, as they should.

If we got Matthews in the 4th round I'd probably be fine with that, especially if Devon Street is gone.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2nbtq0jc said:
General Manager":2nbtq0jc said:
Not sure what your basing that on it can't be anything concrete

Of course not, because anything that differs from your own opinion couldn't possibly be based on anything concrete. :sarcasm_off:

I think Matthews is one of the most overrated players in this draft by fans. I've watched more than 10 games of Vanderbilt video... dying to buy into this guy and add another top receiver to the ever growing list of WR's I'd love Seattle to draft. I just do not see it. He isn't physical. He's at his best working the slot and finding the soft spot in zone. Vandy's offense is death-by-screen-pass and you barely ever see Matthews make anyone miss on those quick hitters. For every impressive grab I've seen a couple of really sloppy drops. He drops passes that'll make Kelvin Benjamin blush.

Athletically he's very impressive in terms of measurables but that's the big head scratcher -- on the field he doesn't wow you with athleticism. He's an easy player for fans to like because he has production and he did well at the combine. The tape tells a very different story though. If it was just based on tape and the combine he'd go in the top ten. There's a reason why he won't.

Put him in New Orleans' offense and I think he could be a production machine. They love taller players in the slot and Brees attacks the middle better than anyone. In Seattle they want to win the red line, attack the sideline, compete for the ball in the air and win contested passes or 1v1's. That's simply not Matthews strong point and it's Cody Latimer's in a big way.

If Seattle drafts Jordan Matthews in round one my disappointment will only be defeated by my surprise.
:13:

General Manager

Reaction score
kearly":1o7mqbu7 said:
It isn't a perfect comparison, but I feel that Jordan Matthews is this year's Quinton Patton. Fiery, brash self-confidence in interviews, and a little bit of competitiveness on the field in certain situations, but ultimately a soft receiver who's tape looked extremely average. Everyone talked about Patton sneaking his way into the first round and I just couldn't see it based on his play. Of course, Patton ended up a 4th rounder and his draft hype was exposed as a media creation.

These days, everyone is talking about Matthews like he's a fringe 1st round guy, or at least a 2nd round guy. And maybe he will, the draft is unpredictable like that. Brian Quick and Aaron Dobson were super-average receivers who went in the 2nd round. But usually, players like him go middle rounds, as they should.

If we got Matthews in the 4th round I'd probably be fine with that, especially if Devon Street is gone.

Matthews isn't likely to be there pick then is he. I think capping a guy as a 4rth round talent with his Measurables and college production will be proven a very bad analysis next year if he goes to a team with a descent QB he will put up numbers book it. Maybe you could give us an alternative who's likely to be there don't say Latimer because I really doubt he makes it to 32.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Why do you keep mentioning measurables and college production likes it's the only thing that matters? Have you watched any of his games?

General Manager

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2ro8rhb2 said:
Why do you keep mentioning measurables and college production likes it's the only thing that matters? Have you watched any of his games?

Seriously I think he will be a good player you don't. No one on this board has a perfect track record on evaluations and I could ask you the same question bro. Now lets just agree to disagree weve covered this.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
It seems to me.........any player analysis that begins with........."I've watched "a couple of tapes"......................
(highlight tapes at that, no doubt) - is seriously flawed and shows a lack of sufficient information if that is all that is noted. The underwear Olympics measurable #'s are important, as are college production #'s. But - it's always the game tapes that show how the players use their measurable numbers that is even more important. IMO.

General Manager

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":2vj14pkr said:
It seems to me.........any player analysis that begins with........."I've watched "a couple of tapes"......................
(highlight tapes at that, no doubt) - is seriously flawed and shows a lack of sufficient information if that is all that is noted. The underwear Olympics measurable #'s are important, as are college production #'s. But - it's always the game tapes that show how the players use their measurable numbers that is even more important. IMO.

I take the time to actually watch film because I like to grade players myself. There will always be a difference of opinion I could be wrong and so could the people who think Matthews isn't going to be a good WR in the NFL, or are convinced he isn't a 2nd round talent. Not sure if you were eluding to me but I thought I'd set the record straight .

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
General Manager":16lgmz8q said:
theENGLISHseahawk":16lgmz8q said:

Seriously I think he will be a good player you don't. No one on this board has a perfect track record on evaluations and I could ask you the same question bro. Now lets just agree to disagree weve covered this.

I don't care that you disagree.

What I'm bothered about is any time anyone spends a few moments writing a detailed break down as to why they don't think Matthews is a first round pick -- you just fire back quoting measurables and production.

That's not an argument. And Kip's point on Quinton Patton is an extremely valid one that cannot be snubbed in such a way.

Largent80

Reaction score
In the end, this is a message board, not a real life Seahawk draft board, and I think over the last few years the Hawk draft board differs wildly from all the speculation here.

A lot is covered here, but in the end, the F.O. always throws a curve ball to us.

General Manager

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":38o0h2we said:
General Manager":38o0h2we said:
theENGLISHseahawk":38o0h2we said:

I don't care that you disagree.

What I'm bothered about is any time anyone spends a few moments writing a detailed break down as to why they don't think Matthews is a first round pick -- you just fire back quoting measurables and production.

That's not an argument. And Kip's point on Quinton Patton is an extremely valid one that cannot be snubbed in such a way.

I'm basing it on the games I've watched and his combine and the interviews. I never said he was a first round player either he has a second round grade and I agree, but at 32 we basically have the first pick in the second round, and I would be ok with them taking him there if Latimer is off the board.

kf3339

Reaction score
Largent80":28k1lw2q said:
In the end, this is a message board, not a real life Seahawk draft board, and I think over the last few years the Hawk draft board differs wildly from all the speculation here.

A lot is covered here, but in the end, the F.O. always throws a curve ball to us.

This statement is very true indeed. I have been rather amazed at how wrong the vast majority of us are on who the Hawks actually take in the draft as opposed to who we all believe is the most worthy choice for our picks.

So I for one will just sit back and enjoy the process and hope we get a really good player in the first round this year.