3rd and 20

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":2alo6bhs said:
Blitzer88":2alo6bhs said:
How could a so called "top defense" let a 3rd and 20 be converted? I knew we were destined to lose once that play happened. I mean we actually got pressure on Romo and lay an egg in the secondary.

Burley and Terrell were in coverage.. not that it excuses it, because it doesn't, but the secondary injuries are REALLY piling up.

We need Simon and Lane back in the worst way. Especially since Maxwell is likely down for a few games
Yup.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":2ysgg3gc said:
Can't really put that play on the secondary. Romo put it where only his receiver could get it and the receiver made a *phenomenal* catch. Really just have to tip your cap to the Cowboys on that play. It was a hell of a play by them and well defensed by Seattle.
I think more what is being said is that the mounting injuries are concerning when this otherwise elite defense shows vulnerability. Something is going on and it's an obvious (general) observation. We all have seen what this Defense is capable of (especially at home) when at full strength with the proven personnel.

OP
OP
Blitzer88

Blitzer88

Reaction score
John Clayton brought up this stat earlier today:

Teams were 1-for-55 this year on 3rd-and-20 or longer before the Romo-to-Williams play yesterday.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Other than the missed opportunity to sack Romo, I thought that play was awesome (from the perspective of an NFL fan).
Props to the Cowboys. You can't defend EVERY play. And that catch....just beautiful.

papashango

Reaction score
Blitzer88":24cnbj4g said:
John Clayton brought up this stat earlier today:

Teams were 1-for-55 this year on 3rd-and-20 or longer before the Romo-to-Williams play yesterday.

That's because teams usually concede on 3rd and 20 and just run the ball and then punt.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
kearly":lkrarxcn said:
Can't really put that play on the secondary. Romo put it where only his receiver could get it and the receiver made a *phenomenal* catch. Really just have to tip your cap to the Cowboys on that play. It was a hell of a play by them and well defensed by Seattle.

Exactly. We had the perfect Defense called. Had Irvin in position for the sack right off the bat, Romo just made a great effort to get away. Most QBs would have gone down.

Then he made a great pass that was right on the money to a WR that was going out of bounds.

9 times out of 10, that play doesn't even come close.

We had a great Defense set up on that play, but it just didn't matter. I'm not mad at the D for this one.

The other 3rd downs in this game are another story.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
kearly":33wnncsy said:
Like the San Diego game.

Can we just copy and paste this every time the LOB gets beaten and loses the game?

9 times out of 10, that play doesn't even come close.

Said the same thing about a few of River's throws too. How many out of how many does that make? Better copy and paste this one too, I think we'll be saying it often this season.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Did that play break us? Yep.

But it was one of the best catches I've ever seen. Just an amazing throw and catch. You'll only see a couple of those a year.....

Took that kind of effort to break our backs. What ever that's worth. :Dunno:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":13ijqnke said:
Took that kind of effort to break our backs. What ever that's worth. :Dunno:

Nothing in the NFL unfortunately.

IMO that's one of the big differences between last year and this. Last year WE were the ones coming up with the amazing timely catches, big turnovers and gut wrenching runs to break our opponents will. Now we're not.

Some of it's luck, balls have bounced away from our guys (up until yesterday), but you make your luck right?