3rd Round, Pick #94 Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
This is a hard draft to pick an Adopt-a-Rookie from, but I think this guy's gonna be it for me. He's needed.

chris98251

Reaction score
Every pick so far is physical and aggressive in some way, we are back to the Nasty.

CPHawk

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":ki6w5y7f said:
Crizilla":ki6w5y7f said:
We are slowly but surely rebuilding the 2013 team. Love the pick.
Thank God we are because until further notice we're second best in our own division with a chance to be third with a bullet.

Well it's pretty awesome that further notice has arrived and it looks like we're nailing this draft. Seriously, how the hell are we getting these guys?

Bull crap, no other team has a qb worth a damn in our conference. Palmer is done.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Didn't think we'd pull the trigger on a TE this year but SO happy we got this guy.

If you loved healthy Zach Miller, you'll love Nick Vannett.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2ydamwd7 said:
This is a hard draft to pick an Adopt-a-Rookie from, but I think this guy's gonna be it for me.
I'm with you. On topic a full spectrum TE? Those are rare so why did he drop so far? This smells like the Tyler Lockett drop but I don't get why.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1l3sw16m said:
Crizilla":1l3sw16m said:
Thank God we are because until further notice we're second best in our own division with a chance to be third with a bullet.

By that logic, every contender in the league can go from first to worst in a heart beat. Injuries happen. Flukey things happen.

As long as #3 is healthy, this team is a contender. Period. The "chance to be third with a bullet" is a massive reach and applies to every team in the league.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
CPHawk":3ari2zxl said:
MizzouHawkGal":3ari2zxl said:
Crizilla":3ari2zxl said:

Well it's pretty awesome that further notice has arrived and it looks like we're nailing this draft. Seriously, how the hell are we getting these guys?

Bull crap, no other team has a qb worth a damn in our conference. Palmer is done.
Absolutely no evidence of that. He is elite if healthy, especially with weapons. He has weapons so just accept fact. On the other hand he doesn't have a history of durability and Arians runs an offense that usually kills quarterbacks....

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":14q1j5rk said:
MizzouHawkGal":14q1j5rk said:
Crizilla":14q1j5rk said:

By that logic, every contender in the league can go from first to worst in a heart beat. Injuries happen. Flukey things happen.

As long as #3 is healthy, this team is a contender. Period. The "chance to be third with a bullet" is a massive reach and applies to every team in the league.
No, it was fact three days ago. Luckily the draft started yesterday and we are nailing to the level of 2010 and 2012 with a shot to be historical like Pittsburgh in late 1960's. We're probably looking at 2 starters so far at least, potentially three.

Crizilla

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":ys603axl said:
Crizilla":ys603axl said:

Vannett can be a mix of Gronk and Zac Miller for us. I say use Graham as a receiver mainly and let Willson and Vannett battle it out. At first I was thinking to not keep 3 TE's on the roster but I'm starting to like the idea.

Hawks46

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":m4nbl6qa said:
CPHawk":m4nbl6qa said:
MizzouHawkGal":m4nbl6qa said:
Crizilla":m4nbl6qa said:

Absolutely no evidence of that. He is elite if healthy, especially with weapons. He has weapons so just accept fact. On the other hand he doesn't have a history of durability and Arians runs an offense that usually kills quarterbacks....

Well Palmer does have durability concerns, but outside of that, Palmer hasn't proven he can do squat in the playoffs. And Arizona is becoming our home away from home. If we just hold serve at home against them, we'll get the division back.

So yea, Palmer is elite, during the regular season. We just took apart a QB like that in the SB a couple years back....

I'm liking this draft for the OL and it's not over yet either. If we shore up our interior OL, we're #1 with a bullet.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Crizilla":3nps0j89 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3nps0j89 said:
Crizilla":3nps0j89 said:

Vannett can be a mix of Gronk and Zac Miller for us. I say use Graham as a receiver mainly and let Willson and Vannett battle it out. At first I was thinking to not keep 3 TE's on the roster but I'm starting to like the idea.
Yep. Luke Willson is fine and I bet money we go that way. We may do the Gronkowski/Hernandez thing. I don't think the guy is a gang member.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
This guy is underrated as a pass catcher and faired well at the combine. He displayed smooth catching motion and great catch radius. Knock on him was his hands but he was probably the best TE performer in 'the gauntlet'.

McGruff

Reaction score
Crizilla":22i4808u said:
MizzouHawkGal":22i4808u said:
Crizilla":22i4808u said:

Single back with two TE's and Graham and Kearse split wide . . . yeah, I could go for that.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Hopefully this means the end of Cooper Helfet's days as a Seahawk. Can't block or catch anything unless its a cold.

SeahawksFanForever

Reaction score
Quick thoughts: Love this pick, reminds me of Zach Miller, not concerned about his speed as some are saying, and very few TE's in the league that can block & catch both. Love it!

chris98251

Reaction score
Hopefully this means the end of Cooper Helfet's days as a Seahawk. Can't block or catch anything unless its a cold.

Yeah I would rather they bring back McCoy anyway :)

pehawk

Reaction score
A beast blocking at the 2nd level.

Perfect.

kearly

Reaction score
So I watched a couple games on Vannett.

He is not a receiving threat. He doesn't separate with his routes and is slow. In four years at Ohio State, he had 55 catches for 585 yards. Combined. An average of 15.8 receiving yards per game.

He also plays almost all of his snaps from the slot or from H-back spots so it's basically impossible to judge his pass blocking.

I was wondering what Seattle was smoking that made them think this guy was worth a 3rd round pick, that was until I saw this guy run block. He's an elite level run blocker. If he packed on weight, he could play OL in the NFL. That's how good his technique is. Germain Ifedi should room up with Vannett to ask him for tips on proper hand placement and blocking technique. Seriously.

Vannett has soft hands, but given his inability to work himself open I highly doubt that he will ever break 200 receiving yards in a season in his NFL career. He's going to have to earn his keep as a run blocker and special teams guy. His ability to make blocks downfield, and stick to them, is special. If his inline pass blocking ends up being as technically sound as his run blocking, then Seattle just got an elite level blocking tight end. Seattle desperately needed a blocking TE last year so I get this pick, even if the 3rd round is a bit too early for a pure utility player.