3rd Round, Pick #94 Nick Vannett, TE, Ohio State

Laloosh

Reaction score
kearly":3p4aclbr said:
So I watched a couple games on Vannett.

He is not a receiving threat. He doesn't separate with his routes and is slow. In four years at Ohio State, he had 55 catches for 585 yards. Combined. An average of 15.8 receiving yards per game.

He also plays almost all of his snaps from the slot or from H-back spots so it's basically impossible to judge his pass blocking.

I was wondering what Seattle was smoking that made them think this guy was worth a 3rd round pick, that was until I saw this guy run block. He's an elite level run blocker. If he packed on weight, he could play OL in the NFL. That's how good his technique is. Germain Ifedi should room up with Vannett to ask him for tips on proper hand placement and blocking technique. Seriously.

Vannett has soft hands, but given his inability to work himself open I highly doubt that he will ever break 200 receiving yards in a season in his NFL career. He's going to have to earn his keep as a run blocker and special teams guy. His ability to make blocks downfield, and stick to them, is special. If his inline pass blocking ends up being as technically sound as his run blocking, then Seattle just got an elite level blocking tight end. Seattle desperately needed a blocking TE last year so I get this pick, even if the 3rd round is a bit too early for a pure utility player.

Last year really had me missing Miller. Can Vannett give us what Miller did in the run game? Zach seemed to get open because everybody had to respect the run. I'd be good with that.

jake206

Reaction score
Decent pick...though he's going to be blocking a lot with this o-line. Expect him to be kept inline with 6man blocking schemes alot.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3q7vicvx said:
MontanaHawk05":3q7vicvx said:
This is a hard draft to pick an Adopt-a-Rookie from, but I think this guy's gonna be it for me.
I'm with you. On topic a full spectrum TE? Those are rare so why did he drop so far? This smells like the Tyler Lockett drop but I don't get why.

Injury in his senior year, I believe. That and underdeveloped route-running, but that isn't too high up on Seattle's priority list.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Vannett is definitely my favorite TE of this draft.

He's an absolute mauler in the run game. He doesn't just block a guy, he creates running lanes by picking the right angle against the right guy all the time. His pass blocking is pretty good as well, unlike Wilson or Graham it didn't really seem like he was the odd man out lining up next to the tackle.

In terms of pass rushing I can understand the caution as he's not a good route runner and barely gets open but he has good hands and can win contested catches. The upside of that is you can roll him out in red zone plays and it could still either be a run or a pass, again unlike Graham or Wilson.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
Love it. Am I the only one who doesn't care about our TE racking up a thousand receiving yards? We're not that team, and that's okay. I loved a healthy Zach Miller; I expect I will love this kid.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
This pick is going to work out big time one way or another. He has great hands and says he is eager to learn about route running. He is so nasty a blocker though that I could see him eventually on the OL if TE doesn't work out.

Largent80

Reaction score
In the I'm Jimmy thread I asked for us to draft a TE, and to get this guy is the perfect compliment to our team. Super stoked.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Crizilla":1qn2tbx1 said:
MizzouHawkGal":1qn2tbx1 said:
Crizilla":1qn2tbx1 said:
We are slowly but surely rebuilding the 2013 team. Love the pick.
Thank God we are because until further notice we're second best in our own division with a chance to be third with a bullet.

Well it's pretty awesome that further notice has arrived and it looks like we're nailing this draft. Seriously, how the hell are we getting these guys?

Vannett can be a mix of Gronk and Zac Miller for us. I say use Graham as a receiver mainly and let Willson and Vannett battle it out. At first I was thinking to not keep 3 TE's on the roster but I'm starting to like the idea.

Definitely agree. I really like hellfet, and Kaufman too. I could see them keeping four tight ends knowing our history of injuries at the position. Read someone above mention if you loved healthy zack miller, you will love this dude. I loved healthy Zack miller, so super excited about this.

sutz

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1kf4h73j said:
Vannett is definitely my favorite TE of this draft.

He's an absolute mauler in the run game. He doesn't just block a guy, he creates running lanes by picking the right angle against the right guy all the time. His pass blocking is pretty good as well, unlike Wilson or Graham it didn't really seem like he was the odd man out lining up next to the tackle.

In terms of pass rushing I can understand the caution as he's not a good route runner and barely gets open but he has good hands and can win contested catches. The upside of that is you can roll him out in red zone plays and it could still either be a run or a pass, again unlike Graham or Wilson.
WiLLson. Do we have to start calling him Two Ells, like we call locket NoE? ;)

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Boiler":1t7f31c5 said:
This is the pick that puts Helfet on the path to a full time modeling career.

Modeling hockey helmets?

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I'm making Nick Vannett my "adopt a rookie". He's going to be huge for next few years. He adds what Graham, Willson and Helfet don't - blocking. For a team built on a running game, it's vital.

crosfam

Reaction score
After next season, I think another team pays Willson more than we want to, and Vannett will have a shot at starting - as we may cut Graham loose after hoisting the Lombardi this season, depending on how things go performance and salary cap wise.

All in on Graham this year for the SB51 run.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
crosfam":y6vjn6j1 said:
After next season, I think another team pays Willson more than we want to, and Vannett will have a shot at starting - as we may cut Graham loose after hoisting the Lombardi this season, depending on how things go performance and salary cap wise.

Is graham even supposed to play much of this year? If he plays more than the end of the season and playoffs I would be shocked

Scottemojo

Reaction score
crosfam":3bfircwl said:

I will be shocked as shit if Willson gets an offer from another team.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Heres a great interview by him from a week ago

[youtube]xFDWjpL-jgQ[/youtube]

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
A thing to remember about Vannett is that not only he had the same role as Miller circa 2013 becoming a valuable in-line blocker helping the Seahawks survive injuries to its starting OTs.

Meyers offenses havent really utilized TEs as a passing option.

But Meyers himself called Vannett a very efficient route runner, whatever that means, depenable perhaps, in the right place all the time.

What intriqued most of all is not only does he possess elite blocking acumen that he pretty much was a carbon copy of Miller's size and athletcism.

I dont think the recieving aspect of Vannett's game is lacking or even unproven, he was just highly under-utilized in his offense and most importantly Cardele Jones was his QB for most of the last two seasons. Jones could not just been good enough to utilize Vannett as a recieving option or just didnt have the chemistry or trust to fit balls in tight windows with little opportunity to work on it do to the scheme.

And Jones wasnt known for his accuracy or decision making process.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
This might be my favorite pick in the draft.

I think he's going to play a lot. This is a role/function that has been sorely lacking for us.