49ers coaching search continues...

rideaducati

Reaction score
rigelian":3vjq4at6 said:
rideaducati":3vjq4at6 said:
Marvin49":3vjq4at6 said:
Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver · 31s31 seconds ago
I would expect the 49ers to choose between Tom Coughlin, Dirk Koetter (if still available), Chip Kelly, Mike Shanahan et al very soon

Of those four, I think only Coughlin is a viable candidate. None of the other three would be able to work with Baalke's ego.
I agree, the others would be a disaster. Now from a Seahawk's fan perspective, which would be the most entertaining disaster? I think it would be Chip.

Jim Mora. That was my bet all along and I'm sticking to it. I still think it's going to be Mora or someone we've never heard of.

rigelian

Reaction score
Marvin49":2jc1e24p said:
rigelian":2jc1e24p said:
Marvin, more seriously, do you think it was possible that your front office was stalling Jackson based on the belief that he had no where else to go?

Can't answer that. I don't know.

I do know that it'll be spun that way or any number of other unflattering ways, but I don't know what the truth is.
Marvin the report came out before the Jackson signing so I doubt it was spin. But if the report was true wouldn't it give you some pause about your front office?

kearly

Reaction score
I'm a little surprised that Jackson was interviewing with, and ultimately accepted, the two least attractive job openings. Of all the available coaches, Jackson's long term upside is probably the highest. Cleveland has to be pretty happy about this, and they weakened a division rival to boot.

Marvin49

Reaction score
rigelian":3d19rhcg said:
Marvin49":3d19rhcg said:
rigelian":3d19rhcg said:
Marvin, more seriously, do you think it was possible that your front office was stalling Jackson based on the belief that he had no where else to go?

Can't answer that. I don't know.

I do know that it'll be spun that way or any number of other unflattering ways, but I don't know what the truth is.
Marvin the report came out before the Jackson signing so I doubt it was spin. But if the report was true wouldn't it give you some pause about your front office?

lol.

You think Spin starts at the time of the hire?

"Give me pause"!?! Um...everything thats happened in teh last YEAR gives me pause. I just think its a bit overblown.

Sometimes I think people here want me to say something to the effect of "yes, the Niners suck and will always suck and I will now give up all hope of them ever being good. Ever."

rigelian

Reaction score
kearly":38xwn7zz said:
I'm a little surprised that Jackson was interviewing with, and ultimately accepted, the two least attractive job openings. Of all the available coaches, Jackson's long term upside is probably the highest. Cleveland has to be pretty happy about this, and they weakened a division rival to boot.
I was a little surprised as well. However, taking a team that everyone recognized is bad might give you a bit more leeway (and time) to make the changes you want. That would be harder to do in New York or even Tampa Bay. In essence Cleveland and SF will need Jackson the most for the next few years. Might have been a good decision.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":2anwxwwm said:
yes, the Niners suck and will always suck and I will now give up all hope of them ever being good. Ever.

He's finally come around. Our work is done here, fellas.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Laloosh":dlwhttie said:
Marvin49":dlwhttie said:
yes, the Niners suck and will always suck and I will now give up all hope of them ever being good. Ever.

He's finally come around. Our work is done here, fellas.

I was waiting for someone to do that. :D

rigelian

Reaction score
Marvin, I don't want you to say the 49ers will such forever. I want you to analyze the decisions that have been made over the last couple of years. One could plausibly conclude from what has happened that they suck now. Last year's coaching hires...etc. They might learn from them (notwithstanding the current evidence to the contrary). They might come to their senses, but right now they look lost.

rigelian

Reaction score
By the way, if you asked Seahawks fans about the Seahawks front office during the Ken Behring years we would all say they sucked.

HunnyBadger

Reaction score
rigelian":j07tch91 said:
rideaducati":j07tch91 said:
Marvin49":j07tch91 said:
Michael Silver ‏@MikeSilver · 31s31 seconds ago
I would expect the 49ers to choose between Tom Coughlin, Dirk Koetter (if still available), Chip Kelly, Mike Shanahan et al very soon

Of those four, I think only Coughlin is a viable candidate. None of the other three would be able to work with Baalke's ego.
I agree, the others would be a disaster. Now from a Seahawk's fan perspective, which would be the most entertaining disaster? I think it would be Chip.

None of those HCs would give me any ulcers.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Mike Silver (the direct line to Jackson) is saying the 9ers could have had him if they wanted him.

Don't really know what to make of that.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Popeyejones":3v6xfy5j said:
Mike Silver (the direct line to Jackson) is saying the 9ers could have had him if they wanted him.

Yeah yeah....I broke up with HER.

Laloosh

Reaction score
rideaducati":1lxm8cra said:
Popeyejones":1lxm8cra said:

Yeah yeah....I broke up with HER.

Popeye wasn't saying one way or the other. That statement could be interpreted either way.

Wait, is he suggesting that Silver is another Kawakami? :stirthepot:

rigelian

Reaction score
Silver's report is consistent with the slow roll reports. Suggests to me that the 49ers were trying gain negotiating leverage. If so, it was a monumentally stupid decision.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
My comment was based on the two tweets from Silver below:

Give Jimmy Haslam & the Browns credit: They went out and got their guy. Niners had first shot if they wanted it. Giants were looming...

and

If you are a Niners fan who wanted Hue: Do not believe anyone who tells you he informed them he didn't have interest. He was interested.

I guess this one too:

As I said all along: Hue was not weighing offers. He was not leveraging anyone. He was waiting for an owner to tell him "You're my guy."

My comment was that I don't really know what to make of this. As everyone knows Silver is good friends with Jackson and every day through this entire process he has been Jackson's public mouthpiece.

It confuses me because I'm inclined to trust Silver on what was actually going on with Hue's side, and not inclined to think he's just carrying water for the 49ers (particularly given that in this series of tweets he also tells Giants fans and Eagles fans to essentially blame their ownership, if they wanted Jackson).

We also have reports from before the 9ers 5 hour interview with Hue that they were seriously interested in him, and we also have a suggestion that the 9ers were waiting to see what happened with the Browns.

Basically, the only way I think all these pieces fit together is the Oakland story again. Hue Jackson wanted the 9ers job, but also wanted final say. He wasn't going to get that with the 9ers, just as he wasn't going to get that with the Giants.

The 9ers wanted Jackson, but want to keep a division of labor between the coach and GM, rather than having a coach/gm.

They decided that not having a coach/GM was more important to them than having Hue Jackson, so waited it out.

If Jackson seriously preferred to be coach/gm of the Browns than coach of the 9ers they could live with that, and that's what Jackson did. This also fits what happened with him in Oakland.

As for where I sit, I like Jackson as a HC candidate and won't ever diminish that at all, but don't like him nearly enough to give him coach/gm powers, as erasing that division of labor is almost always a bad idea. This is true across industries (e.g. http://webuser.bus.umich.edu/wayneb/pdf ... source.pdf )

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
I would be down right devastated if I was a Niners fan.

Not because you missed out on Hue Jackson. Because the people running your club have no idea what they want. There is NO vision. NO plan. You've turned back into one of those totally irrelevant teams. You'll appoint a coach, a re-tread, who will just hold the fort for a couple of mediocre at best seasons and you'll be doing this dance all over again.

It is a thoroughly miserable set of circumstances. And you were right there, a genuine powerhouse contender. And because the people running your franchise are so completely incompetent and out of their depth -- you're just another Cleveland or Tennessee. Just a mark on another teams schedule where they assume a victory. A team nobody fears. A team nobody is excited about.

What an absolute mess.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
rigelian":1lzszsom said:
Silver's report is consistent with the slow roll reports. Suggests to me that the 49ers were trying gain negotiating leverage. If so, it was a monumentally stupid decision.

Absolutely agreed with the consistency across those reports, but totally disagreed with the stupidity of it, as if that's the case, it came down to the thing both myself and a ton of other people have been harping on since long before the suggestion bore fruit: the only reason for Jackson to pick the Browns over his other possible opportunities would be out of a desire for full control.

We know he got that from the Browns, and I think we can basically conclude that he wasn't going to get that from the 9ers.

Losing Hue sucks, but the full control gig just almost never, ever works.

For the Browns it's less risky for two reasons: 1) they're at an "any port in the storm" point in their franchise history right now and 2) from reports we already know that things have gotten so bad there that people with any GM experience won't even take the job.

If Jackson is able to take them to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years doing both jobs, seriously, more power to him, but history doesn't look fondly on that arrangement.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
In the end, Baalke wants to buy the groceries, and instruct the cook on how to use them. That narrows the pool substantially.

3 of the 4 NFC West teams have coaches who are heavily involved in choosing the players in the draft. The one that does not is picking highest in the draft.

The argument that Baalke inherited most of his football talent is more valid than ever right now.

And Popeye, all those words mean one thing: Haslem proved Hue was the guy by giving him say in personnel that is going to be substantial and real. Hue got a taste of that in Oakland, and if SF really wanted him they would have done the same.

rigelian

Reaction score
Popeye, Pete Carroll has ultimate control, but he chooses to exercise it collaboratively with John Schneider. The whole problem is the decision by the 49ers not to clean house and hire a GM and a coach who could work together. The negotiations now center on Baalke maintaining his own power. It's not a good approach.