49ers Re-sign Garoppolo Highest Paid Player in NFL

hawxfreak

Reaction score
Boy I sure expect the NFC west to a scary division again
:179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417: :179417:

Ramfan128

Reaction score
We'll have to see how it plays out. From me watching him, he does seem to have that "clutch" gene or "it factor" or whatever - something that Wilson also seems to have.

But he's still unproven. They took it to Jacksonville, which was impressive. But I need to see a full season out of him. I think the media is severely overrating him right now by talking about the Niners as if they will be a playoff team next year. It's possible...but if the Cardinals land Cousins or another QB, the Niners could be staring at last place again.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Jimmy G is a good QB. Y'all very lucky. You don't need to see many games to know who got it and who don't and Jimmy G got it. Sure he will have his struggles, but who doesn't.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2czg7yxs said:
5_Golden_Rings":2czg7yxs said:
chris98251":2czg7yxs said:
408d64236a0749139fb87cb344867252 front

1b87141e22140cee51  football photos football cards

Get the feeling it will turn out like these guys .
Then you haven’t watched the film.
So Jaws and Dilfer who both played QB in the NFL for a long time, both declared Kap was going to be the next GREAT QB, never watched film on him? But, you a guy on a football forum, has better film analysistic skills then those 2?

No offense as you seem like a good guy and all and are one of the better rival teams posters here, but I believe you’re hugely over confident and overestimating your “abilities” IMHO.
Another classic example of ignoring highly relevant details to make your argument seem more sound than it is.

The claim by Jaws was made after the Bears game, and it was based ENTIRELY on physical talent. Not many people doubt that Kap is one of the most physically gifted quarterbacks to ever play the game. Elite arm, elite speed, elite size and strength, etc.

But it was too early to see if he possessed the necessary mental attributes, such as the ability to consistently throw with anticipation, the ability to make the necessary quick reads and decisions of the NFL game, and the ability and willingness to take the check down (recall the INT in the NFC championship game; a wr was wide open five yards down the field. He couod have gotton out of bounds and Kap couod have lived to play again. But he makes his decisions before the ball is snapped). It was too early to tell because he never had to do these things in college, due to his physical abilities.

Garoppolo, by contrast, has played PLENTY enough to show that he throws accurately with anticipation, that he makes quick decisions, that he quickly and accurately disgnosis the defense, and that he manages the game well, including taking the necessary check downs. HOW do I know this? Because unlike Kaepernick, he has been doing it SINCE COLLEGE. Watch his college tape and you will see the same quarterback.

Kaepernick was a physical monster that guys like Jaws ASSUMED would add the necessary skills an NFL quarterback must have. Garoppolo ALREADY HAS THEM and has had them since his days in college.

That is the difference, and it’s why this comparison to Kap is at best ignorant and at worst idiotic. Worst case scenario for Garoppolo, besides career ending injury: he becomes a quality NFL starter, somewhere around the Matthew Stafford/Andy Dalton level. I know this because there is no projection or hope that he will someday have the minimum traits required to manage an NFL offense. He already has them and has had them since college.

Fanatics

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1n5tlkzd said:
Sports Hernia":1n5tlkzd said:
5_Golden_Rings":1n5tlkzd said:
chris98251":1n5tlkzd said:
408d64236a0749139fb87cb344867252 front

1b87141e22140cee51  football photos football cards

Get the feeling it will turn out like these guys .
Then you haven’t watched the film.
So Jaws and Dilfer who both played QB in the NFL for a long time, both declared Kap was going to be the next GREAT QB, never watched film on him? But, you a guy on a football forum, has better film analysistic skills then those 2?

No offense as you seem like a good guy and all and are one of the better rival teams posters here, but I believe you’re hugely over confident and overestimating your “abilities” IMHO.
Another classic example of ignoring highly relevant details to make your argument seem more sound than it is.

The claim by Jaws was made after the Bears game, and it was based ENTIRELY on physical talent. Not many people doubt that Kap is one of the most physically gifted quarterbacks to ever play the game. Elite arm, elite speed, elite size and strength, etc.

But it was too early to see if he possessed the necessary mental attributes, such as the ability to consistently throw with anticipation, the ability to make the necessary quick reads and decisions of the NFL game, and the ability and willingness to take the check down (recall the INT in the NFC championship game; a wr was wide open five yards down the field. He couod have gotton out of bounds and Kap couod have lived to play again. But he makes his decisions before the ball is snapped). It was too early to tell because he never had to do these things in college, due to his physical abilities.

Garoppolo, by contrast, has played PLENTY enough to show that he throws accurately with anticipation, that he makes quick decisions, that he quickly and accurately disgnosis the defense, and that he manages the game well, including taking the necessary check downs. HOW do I know this? Because unlike Kaepernick, he has been doing it SINCE COLLEGE. Watch his college tape and you will see the same quarterback.

Kaepernick was a physical monster that guys like Jaws ASSUMED would add the necessary skills an NFL quarterback must have. Garoppolo ALREADY HAS THEM and has had them since his days in college.

That is the difference, and it’s why this comparison to Kap is at best ignorant and at worst idiotic. Worst case scenario for Garoppolo, besides career ending injury: he becomes a quality NFL starter, somewhere around the Matthew Stafford/Andy Dalton level. I know this because there is no projection or hope that he will someday have the minimum traits required to manage an NFL offense. He already has them and has had them since college.
Also Jaws said after Buttfumble Sanchize was drafted, he was destined for greatness. Could make all the throws, anticipates well...we know how that turned out. I don't put much faith in Jaws.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
https://twitter.com/Eric_Branch/status/ ... 3588100096

Seems Richard Sherman thought highly of Garoppolo.

Per Eric Branch: "Richard Sherman on how presence of Jimmy Garoppolo influenced his decision: "That had a huge part in it.""

Full quote from Cam Inman:

https://twitter.com/CamInman/status/973247199998980096

"That had a huge part. The way he played down the stretch was inspiring, it was incredible. Sometimes quarterbacks can get hot and the next year fall of the face of the Earth and not hear from them again. I saw poise, leadership, respect."

I'm guessing the "fall off the earth" comment was about his success in New England in 2015 followed up by him doing it again in 2017.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3o6eckoj said:
https://twitter.com/Eric_Branch/status/973247003588100096

Per Eric Branch: "Richard Sherman on how presence of Jimmy Garoppolo influenced his decision: "That had a huge part in it.""

"That had a huge part. The way he played down the stretch was inspiring, it was incredible. Sometimes quarterbacks can get hot and the next year fall of the face of the Earth and not hear from them again. I saw poise, leadership, respect."

I'm guessing the "fall off the earth" comment was about his success in New England in 2015 followed up by him doing it again in 2017.

That seems odd though, Garoppolo really only has had short stints of success. He had less than 100 passes with NE, it has very little weight. I am not discrediting his work last season, he looked good. Certainly reason for hope. He absolutely could fall off a cliff in his first full season, however.

Fanatics

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":qkclhgwh said:
5_Golden_Rings":qkclhgwh said:

That seems odd though, Garoppolo really only has had short stints of success. He had less than 100 passes with NE, it has very little weight. I am not discrediting his work last season, he looked good. Certainly reason for hope. He absolutely could fall off a cliff in his first full season, however.
As could anyone but that is besides the point. We all know Sherman is no dummy, very intelligent, and is trying his best to take away the bad blood and at the same time endear himself to the new fan base. I mean look no further than him saying he meant no malice for eating turkey on the 50 yard line in SF... LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3qoviajh said:
5_Golden_Rings":3qoviajh said:

It might be a small sample size, but I mean, it's hard to deny this:

Since I have to compile the stats myself, it won't be as extensive. However, the change from Alex Smith to Kaepernick wasn't nearly as dramatic. And even though Alex Smith is a quality QB, it still shows that the comparison to Kaepernick just isn't very valid. Kaepernick didn't really elevate the team all that much, not the way Jimmy G did.

Points per game Alex Smith: 26.53 (note: this is more exact that most websites, because I actually calculated Alex Smith's exact number of games [rounded to the nearest hundredth of a quarter] before he was replaced by Kap 19 seconds past midway through the 2nd quarter, which means he played exactly 0.3865 of the game)

Points per game Kap: 29.02 (including playoffs and 0.6135 of the first Rams game)

Passing yards per game Alex: 226.76

Passing yards per game Kap: 228.01 (including playoffs)

Rushing yards per game Alex: 189.94 (including the 54 yards rushing gained before Alex went out)

Rushing yards per game Kap: 164.1 Believe it or not this is accurate! This was very surprising to me, so I double checked the numbers. Looking closer you can see why. In 7.3865 games, the Alex Smith 49ers went over 150 rushing yards 4 times, for more than 54% of their games, while with Kaepernick they went over 150 4 out of 10.6135 games for less than 37% of the time. Very surprising.

I could go on, but the point is Kaepernick made the offense a little better in most categories in 2012, while Jimmy G took an offense at the bottom of the league and made it one of the best in the league.

That is very, very hard to ignore, regardless of sample size, and it is a FAR greater impact than Kaepernick had in 2012.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":iu3jgnam said:

So Sherm is supposed to say the QB on his new team sucks???

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":a5e23aey said:
5_Golden_Rings":a5e23aey said:

So Sherm is supposed to say the QB on his new team sucks???
Which is easier to believe? Countless NFL players and analysts are all wrong and Sherman is lying, or the statistical reality, eye test, and testimony of NFL players and analysts are correct about Garoppolo?

And as I painstakingly showed here, the Kaepernick comparison is just flawed.

Coug_Hawk08":a5e23aey said:

It might be a small sample size, but I mean, it's hard to deny this:

Since I have to compile the stats myself, it won't be as extensive. However, the change from Alex Smith to Kaepernick wasn't nearly as dramatic. And even though Alex Smith is a quality QB, it still shows that the comparison to Kaepernick just isn't very valid. Kaepernick didn't really elevate the team all that much, not the way Jimmy G did.

Points per game Alex Smith: 26.53 (note: this is more exact that most websites, because I actually calculated Alex Smith's exact number of games [rounded to the nearest hundredth of a quarter] before he was replaced by Kap 19 seconds past midway through the 2nd quarter, which means he played exactly 0.3865 of the game)

Points per game Kap: 29.02 (including playoffs and 0.6135 of the first Rams game)

Passing yards per game Alex: 226.76

Passing yards per game Kap: 228.01 (including playoffs)

Rushing yards per game Alex: 189.94 (including the 54 yards rushing gained before Alex went out)

Rushing yards per game Kap: 164.1 Believe it or not this is accurate! This was very surprising to me, so I double checked the numbers. Looking closer you can see why. In 7.3865 games, the Alex Smith 49ers went over 150 rushing yards 4 times, for more than 54% of their games, while with Kaepernick they went over 150 4 out of 10.6135 games for less than 37% of the time. Very surprising.

I could go on, but the point is Kaepernick made the offense a little better in most categories in 2012, while Jimmy G took an offense at the bottom of the league and made it one of the best in the league.

That is very, very hard to ignore, regardless of sample size, and it is a FAR greater impact than Kaepernick had in 2012.