49ers suspend radio analyst Tim Ryan

Mad Dog

Reaction score
It's sad that when someone makes a factually truthful statement without any racist overtones whatsoever, he gets slammed as a racist and told, "You can't say that." Why the hell not? Why can't we say Lamar Jackson has dark skin? He does! It's also factual that the ball is pretty similar in color to said dark skin.

What a stupid world we've become. Apologizing for relatively innocent truths because some thin skinned person is offended will be the death of us all. This generation is weak beyond belief.

MD5eahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2rkhmdqn said:
MD5eahawks":2rkhmdqn said:
Political Correctness...
Ruining a community near you.

Maybe we should ask Colin what he thinks. While we’re at it, let’s knock down a few more statues of historic figures. Maybe banish another flag for its use during a coincidental time period but forget about it’s historical significance.
You mean like the historical significance of human beings actually owning other human beings?
Absolutely.
It was a time that this country was forming. It had faults. We as Americans learn and try to correct those faults not bury them because you feel “offended”. History is there for a reason. People like you want to banish it and put it in a closet as if it never happened. News flash - slavery hasn’t existed in a long time here. I wonder why that is. That narrative is old and tiresome.
Done with this topic.

NINEster

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":1ez2228m said:
Mizak":1ez2228m said:
BRADENTON, Fla. -- The San Francisco 49ers suspended radio analyst Tim Ryan on Wednesday after he said on a Bay Area radio station that Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson's dark skin helps him disguise a dark football when running fake handoffs in Baltimore's zone-read heavy offense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/282 ... n-comments

A racist in 49er land eh?
:shock:

Can’t wait for the Niner’s “clever trolls” spin on this.

The Niners should apologize to Ryan for suspending him, more than reaching out to the Ravens.

Such a fragile PC culture we live in now.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
They kinda had to NINEster after the Chron story came out. You saw the drum the Chron kept banging over the SF Giants GM search. They never would have let it go, and sitting him one game publicly was the best way for everyone to let this go after next week.

I wonder who they'll get to announce the NO game with Greg Papa. Grant Cohn up in Santa Rosa has rededicated his blog to him announcing games over podcast. That'd be funny to hear, Papa and that guy but won't happen.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
MD5eahawks":5bjgv80m said:
hawksfansinceday1":5bjgv80m said:
MD5eahawks":5bjgv80m said:
Political Correctness...
Ruining a community near you.

Maybe we should ask Colin what he thinks. While we’re at it, let’s knock down a few more statues of historic figures. Maybe banish another flag for its use during a coincidental time period but forget about it’s historical significance.
You mean like the historical significance of human beings actually owning other human beings?
Absolutely.
It was a time that this country was forming. It had faults. We as Americans learn and try to correct those faults not bury them because you feel “offended”. History is there for a reason. People like you want to banish it and put it in a closet as if it never happened. News flash - slavery hasn’t existed in a long time here. I wonder why that is. That narrative is old and tiresome.
Done with this topic.
How dare you say I want to banish history and put it in a closet as if it never happened. You know absolutely nothing about who I am. FYI I want it to be something that all Americans are exposed to and for the love of God hopefully learn from. You apparently want to talk about the narrative of slavery being old and tiresome and you accuse "people like (me)" of wanting to banish it and put it in a closet yet you say "we as Americans learn and try to correct". Hypocritical much?
You call literally owning other human beings "faults"? What a fault like being OCD or something? Minimize much?
Your done with the topic? Of course you are.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Sherman said today that he doesn’t believe Ryan was making a racist comment.

“I know Tim personally and I listened to the dialogue and saw it written, and honestly I wasn’t as outraged as everybody else,” Sherman said. “I understand how it can be taken under a certain context and be offensive to some, but if you’re saying, this is a brown ball, they’re wearing dark colors, and he has a brown arm, honestly, sometimes we were having trouble seeing it on film. He’s making a play fake and sometimes he’s swinging his arm real fast and you’re like, Does he have the ball? And you look up and [Mark] Ingram is running it. So it was technically a valid point, but you can always phrase things better.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -comments/

TreeRon

Reaction score
I suggest a new rule. Each team should be able to color their football to match their jersey. :D

Yes, slavery has been around forever and still exists. The Americas enslaved Africans solely because they were black. They'd tried natives and had indentured whites but when they ran away they were hard to identify and catch. Black people were easier to find in an mostly all white society. That is why it was/is racist. They were enslaved because of their race.

Maulbert

Reaction score
NINEster":1rt8zpye said:
Sports Hernia":1rt8zpye said:
Mizak":1rt8zpye said:
BRADENTON, Fla. -- The San Francisco 49ers suspended radio analyst Tim Ryan on Wednesday after he said on a Bay Area radio station that Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson's dark skin helps him disguise a dark football when running fake handoffs in Baltimore's zone-read heavy offense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/282 ... n-comments

A racist in 49er land eh?

The Niners should apologize to Ryan for suspending him, more than reaching out to the Ravens.

Such a fragile PC culture we live in now.

Honest question, NINEster.

If Dave Wyman said that, and the Seahawks suspended him, would you feel the same way? Be truthful.

kobebryant

Reaction score
A white person should never be commenting on the skin color of a black person. Without even getting into the historical baggage of colorism, it is just basic human decency not to do so.

rlkats

Reaction score
kobebryant":31fntpbi said:
A white person should never be commenting on the skin color of a black person. Without even getting into the historical baggage of colorism, it is just basic human decency not to do so.

I attempted to stay out of this. I must say, while I listened to what he said I immediately put my hand over my face. I thought why the hell did he just say that?
Upon reflecting I realized cultural awareness and respect is not something that was taught nor brought up when I was growing up. But something that was learned by simply respecting humans for what they are, HUMANS.
Do i feel he said something racist, No. But could it have been taken that way, Yes. And that's the issue. If there is true respect for all people then color is not an issue.
Could he be a racist or could he simply be truly ignorant and thought that his wording wasn't offensive? Who knows, only he knows in his heart.
I will have to agree with Sherman, not racist but horrible wording.

rlkats

Reaction score
kobebryant":fymi8v3n said:

Also, sorry but any skin color should be never brought up. What's bad for some should not be acceptable to others

SanDiego49er

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":3cn7ncik said:

“I know Tim personally and I listened to the dialogue and saw it written, and honestly I wasn’t as outraged as everybody else,” Sherman said. “I understand how it can be taken under a certain context and be offensive to some, but if you’re saying, this is a brown ball, they’re wearing dark colors, and he has a brown arm, honestly, sometimes we were having trouble seeing it on film. He’s making a play fake and sometimes he’s swinging his arm real fast and you’re like, Does he have the ball? And you look up and [Mark] Ingram is running it. So it was technically a valid point, but you can always phrase things better.”

Sherman is 100% correct.

cymatica

Reaction score
Mad Dog":3gl9njpp said:
It's sad that when someone makes a factually truthful statement without any racist overtones whatsoever, he gets slammed as a racist and told, "You can't say that." Why the hell not? Why can't we say Lamar Jackson has dark skin? He does! It's also factual that the ball is pretty similar in color to said dark skin.

What a stupid world we've become. Apologizing for relatively innocent truths because some thin skinned person is offended will be the death of us all. This generation is weak beyond belief.

It's really pathetic and at the same time many of those crying racist have no problem making orange skin jokes. Shame on the 49ers organization for contributing to the PC culture that is destroying language and thought

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
cymatica":30akqmrt said:
Mad Dog":30akqmrt said:

It's really pathetic and at the same time many of those crying racist have no problem making orange skin jokes. Shame on the 49ers organization for contributing to the PC culture that is destroying language and thought
Has anyone cried "racist"? Please provide links. Also please provide a link showing the same person making "orange skin jokes".

(and btw, my opinion of this situation is pretty much the same as rlkats' 4th post above this one)

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
TreeRon":19v4v6he said:
I suggest a new rule. Each team should be able to color their football to match their jersey. :D

Yes, slavery has been around forever and still exists. The Americas enslaved Africans solely because they were black. They'd tried natives and had indentured whites but when they ran away they were hard to identify and catch. Black people were easier to find in an mostly all white society. That is why it was/is racist. They were enslaved because of their race.
Actually, the majority of slaves were enslaved in Africa by other black people who were wealthy and powerful, then transported and sold in the U.S. or sold in Africa then transported; unless you're counting all the children/grandchildren/etc. of slaves that were transported to the U.S. Not a popular point to bring up I'm afraid, though. I'll probably be considered racist by some for even saying it. I'm not defending anything done by slave-owners in the U.S., ever; but the blame has been, and continues to be, disproportionate compared to what the facts are.

FlayvaMeister

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":t7uxe3rp said:
RolandDeschain":t7uxe3rp said:
Sports Hernia":t7uxe3rp said:

What spin is even needed? It's idiotic to think that the comment is racist. It's a factually accurate statement. Are we going to accuse a hunter of putting camo on his face to hide in a marshy area trying to hunt duck or whatever as "wearing brownface" and being racist?

This crap is going too far. Only morons think any statement that involves skin color is automatically racist.

HEY GUYS, guess what? Black people don't sunburn as easily as white people.

OH MY GOD, I'M RACIST! SHOOT ME!
I didn’t say it’s racist or not. The Niners org said it was. My post was more about the Niner trolls spinning their wheels.
He shouldn’t have said it, I don’t think he’s a racist, I don’t think he meant it to be racist, I think he misspoke.

As a pigment challenged American I’m offended by your post. :sarcasm_off:

But anytime you want to have a “sunburn off” I will dominate! 8)

They had to make that statement, otherwise it would be "Hell to Pay" for the organisation.

FlayvaMeister

Reaction score
SanDiego49er":fbf446jt said:
SantaClaraHawk":fbf446jt said:

Sherman is 100% correct.

I see it as Sherm does.

I'm not as dark as Jackson, but when I heard the news, I was initially shocked that Ryan was released.
Then again, after living in the Bay Area for over 25 years of my adult life, it didn't shock me at all.
Enough is enough, as far as I'm concerned.

People have moved beyond the point of being overly sensitive. I think much of today' narrative on race
relations in the USA and beyond, is intentional … as it keeps people at odds with one another.

Some of the ethnicity rhetoric is justified, most of it, not so much. I wish people would wake up and
smell what time it really is.

cymatica

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1kbxmu39 said:
cymatica":1kbxmu39 said:
Mad Dog":1kbxmu39 said:

Has anyone cried "racist"? Please provide links. Also please provide a link showing the same person making "orange skin jokes".

(and btw, my opinion of this situation is pretty much the same as rlkats' 4th post above this one)

You serious? I see that crap online all the time, I'm not fishing for links to validate reality.

cymatica

Reaction score
kobebryant":cp15le13 said:

You don't see the hypocrisy in singling out white people with that comment? There is also more to history regarding the subject than a few hundred years of colonialism. If we are using history to justify what you suggest, then no person of any race, color, or creed should ever be commenting on the skin color of any other. According to the historical record, all are guilty of tribalistic injustices

Marvin49

Reaction score
I dunno...kinda of two minds about it.

On one hand he was simply making a comment about color...and I don't mean race. Literally mean color. I understand what he meant. I don't think he meant it in a derogatory manner and he wasn't saying anything like "he's only good because of his skin tone" or "He's cheating and its not fair". Its like saying a QB is 7 feet tall has an advantage seeing downfield and tall people being offended.

One the other hand tho, race is the third rail. He has to be smarter than grabbing hold of that rail with no real benefit or making some larger point. In that same 7 foot tall comparison, there is no history around 7 foot people and slavery and oppression. Whether it makes sense or not, ALOT of people will be offended by that and they will hear "he's only good because of his skin tone" or "He's cheating and its not fair".

I don't think the team had much of a choice.

I'm not a big fan of Ryan because he's a bit too homerish, but I don't think there was any malice in it and I think for the most part he just had a pretty significant brain fart. The team upgraded significantly with the move from Ted Robinson to Greg Papa and I'd love them to get someone else for Ryan, but I don't think he should lose his job over this.