49ers suspend radio analyst Tim Ryan

Vesuve

Reaction score
IMO, nothing wrong with this announcer's comments at all.

I assume the Niners are pre-emptively protecting their brand in this day in age when a statement could be misunderstood and then the mainstream media pulls the race card for ratings.

I agree with Sherman, too.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
cymatica":2e79c8kr said:
hawksfansinceday1":2e79c8kr said:
cymatica":2e79c8kr said:
Mad Dog":2e79c8kr said:
It's sad that when someone makes a factually truthful statement without any racist overtones whatsoever, he gets slammed as a racist and told, "You can't say that." Why the hell not? Why can't we say Lamar Jackson has dark skin? He does! It's also factual that the ball is pretty similar in color to said dark skin.

What a stupid world we've become. Apologizing for relatively innocent truths because some thin skinned person is offended will be the death of us all. This generation is weak beyond belief.

It's really pathetic and at the same time many of those crying racist have no problem making orange skin jokes. Shame on the 49ers organization for contributing to the PC culture that is destroying language and thought
Has anyone cried "racist"? Please provide links. Also please provide a link showing the same person making "orange skin jokes".

(and btw, my opinion of this situation is pretty much the same as rlkats' 4th post above this one)

You serious? I see that crap online all the time, I'm not fishing for links to validate reality.
This happened only a couple of days ago but you see this "all the time". Yet when I ask for links to someone calling this man in this instance a racist and then adding to it by making orange skin jokes you cant be bothered?
There are 2 different threads here and not one person has said this man is racist and at least one of those people is not white and likely several are not. Richard Sherman has said this was not racist.
What it looks to me like you are throwing out here is the oh so typical response to these types of situations and one which supports your political narrative/agenda with, in this case, nothing to back it up.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Vesuve":d023x30k said:

I assume the Niners are pre-emptively protecting their brand in this day in age when a statement could be misunderstood and then the mainstream media pulls the race card for ratings.

I agree with Sherman as well.
Do you have a link that shows where the mainstream media "pulls the race card" regarding this situation?

rlkats

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2p5px2jd said:
Vesuve":2p5px2jd said:

Do you have a link that shows where the mainstream media "pulls the race card" regarding this situation?

Just go on you tube and watch Shannon Sharpe or Stephen A. They both called it racist. Along with a multitude of hosts.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
rlkats":19u91u7j said:
hawksfansinceday1":19u91u7j said:
Vesuve":19u91u7j said:

Just go on you tube and watch Shannon Sharpe or Stephen A. They both called it racist. Along with a multitude of hosts.
OK fair enough. I don't watch either of those douches so.......
I think of "mainstream" as the broadcast networks, CNN, FOX etc. but they definitely qualify as mainstream sports media.

FlayvaMeister

Reaction score
rlkats":78rieefr said:
hawksfansinceday1":78rieefr said:
Vesuve":78rieefr said:

Sherm is still in-the-game. Shannon and SAS, are talking heads on daily sport shows.
Sherms job is to play CB for the SF 49ers. SAS and Shannon Sharpe' jobs, are to create
clicks on Social and keep viewers coming back to watch their shows.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
cymatica":bmoarv0t said:
Mad Dog":bmoarv0t said:
It's sad that when someone makes a factually truthful statement without any racist overtones whatsoever, he gets slammed as a racist and told, "You can't say that." Why the hell not? Why can't we say Lamar Jackson has dark skin? He does! It's also factual that the ball is pretty similar in color to said dark skin.

What a stupid world we've become. Apologizing for relatively innocent truths because some thin skinned person is offended will be the death of us all. This generation is weak beyond belief.

It's really pathetic and at the same time many of those crying racist have no problem making orange skin jokes. Shame on the 49ers organization for contributing to the PC culture that is destroying language and thought
And do you realize what a leap it is to equate orange skin jokes to skin tone based on race? The former is relevant to the inability to choose the correct suntan in a bottle and properly apply it or a skin reaction to said products. Again, trying to bend facts to fit your narrative imo.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
EDIT: Will put it in the shack.

Why are all these posters talking about race and politics and whining about PC culture not being temp banned or getting moved to the shack?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Popeyejones":pum2sm3n said:
..........As for the reaction to it, for every person I've seen say that Ryan's comments were racist (which I can count on one hand), I've seen 100 people having temper tanturms and emotional meltdowns over the scourge of PC culture, etc., etc., etc.

Tim Ryan is takings a week off with pay because organizations are risk adverse and he said a dumb thing on a sensitive topic. That's it. The sky isn't falling. The world isn't ending. I swear the cavalry of "too much sensitivity!!!" warriors are the most hyper-senstive emo snowflake Chicken Littles out there.
God what a great post. Were that I so eloquent.

Vesuve

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2gl4lg84 said:
Vesuve":2gl4lg84 said:

No, and I didn't state the MSM would play the race card for ratings on this particular comment - but they could have - and have in the past, the I noted the organized could be doing the pre-emptive punishment and "this doesn't reflect our org's views."

cymatica

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2apc6fa3 said:
cymatica":2apc6fa3 said:
hawksfansinceday1":2apc6fa3 said:
cymatica":2apc6fa3 said:
Has anyone cried "racist"? Please provide links. Also please provide a link showing the same person making "orange skin jokes".

(and btw, my opinion of this situation is pretty much the same as rlkats' 4th post above this one)

You serious? I see that crap online all the time, I'm not fishing for links to validate reality.
This happened only a couple of days ago but you see this "all the time". Yet when I ask for links to someone calling this man in this instance a racist and then adding to it by making orange skin jokes you cant be bothered?
There are 2 different threads here and not one person has said this man is racist and at least one of those people is not white and likely several are not. Richard Sherman has said this was not racist.
What it looks to me like you are throwing out here is the oh so typical response to these types of situations and one which supports your political narrative/agenda with, in this case, nothing to back it up.

I never said anyone in this thread called Tim Ryan a racist, but the fact that he was released only reinforces what I said. Sure you could argue the orange skin point, but typically the same people, especially those in media, who make everything about race, they themselves spout racist remarks all the time. You can deny that all you want, I really don't care, but it is reality

cymatica

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":2b1gcyey said:
cymatica":2b1gcyey said:
Mad Dog":2b1gcyey said:

And do you realize what a leap it is to equate orange skin jokes to skin tone based on race? The former is relevant to the inability to choose the correct suntan in a bottle and properly apply it or a skin reaction to said products. Again, trying to bend facts to fit your narrative imo.

Lol, ok. You should just stop

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
cymatica":18ffvq33 said:
hawksfansinceday1":18ffvq33 said:
cymatica":18ffvq33 said:
Mad Dog":18ffvq33 said:

Using spray-on tan is a character flaw.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
The Pacific Post Stealer strikes again! Who can the suspect be? Seems like a job for the Hardly Boys. I’m sure they’re getting a raging clue as we speak.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
cymatica":evgotuqi said:
hawksfansinceday1":evgotuqi said:
cymatica":evgotuqi said:
Mad Dog":evgotuqi said:

When you've been trumped with logic, this is all that's left to resort to.

TreeRon

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":dzrn3pzr said:
TreeRon":dzrn3pzr said:
I suggest a new rule. Each team should be able to color their football to match their jersey. :D

Yes, slavery has been around forever and still exists. The Americas enslaved Africans solely because they were black. They'd tried natives and had indentured whites but when they ran away they were hard to identify and catch. Black people were easier to find in an mostly all white society. That is why it was/is racist. They were enslaved because of their race.
Actually, the majority of slaves were enslaved in Africa by other black people who were wealthy and powerful, then transported and sold in the U.S. or sold in Africa then transported; unless you're counting all the children/grandchildren/etc. of slaves that were transported to the U.S. Not a popular point to bring up I'm afraid, though. I'll probably be considered racist by some for even saying it. I'm not defending anything done by slave-owners in the U.S., ever; but the blame has been, and continues to be, disproportionate compared to what the facts are.

Yes, I was fully aware of the fact that Africans enslaved other Africans. Europeans enslaved other Europeans as well. For example: Caesar enslaved as many Gauls as he could catch after defeating them at the Battle of Alesia in 52 BC.
However that does not diminish the fact that Europeans brought those African slaves to America because of their race. They were black , thought to be sub-human and even better easy to find if they ran away.
Does anyone really argue that if Africans had been white, there'd have been mass importation of Africans to the Americas?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
The Pacific Post Stealer strikes again! Who can the suspect be? Seems like a job for the Hardly Boys. I’m sure they’re getting a raging clue as we speak.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
DEAR MODS:

In this thread in the NFL Talk forum we have multiple pages of people making political statements about oversensitivity and PC culture, and we now even have someone arguing that concerns about slavery in the United States are overrated.

95% of these posts don't even acknowledge the existence of football, and this is all happening without any repercussions whatsoever.

As long as I don't make personal attacks am I allowed to respond to all of this?

What is allowed?

sutz

Reaction score
I think the funniest part of this whole thing is that hand color of the QB is pretty immaterial. I mean, some of the most effective play fake artists in football have been white guys like Farve and Brady and Manning. :229031_shrug:

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
It's just sad that this topic can't be discussed without people dumping on other people's motivations/character just for having a view.

It's exactly what Sherm said: It wasn't technically wrong but Ryan "could have used better words," and people are saying that's just because Sherm is friends with him. We all know Sherm, and he is not going to back a racist because he's their friend. Sherm would not even be friends with them.

Sherm was on the field. Sherm was in the film room. From Sherm's observation, what Ryan said was not technically wrong but for social reasons should not have been said. Sherm plus Dee Ford know this guy and don't think he's a racist.

That really is just it, right there.